main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Award Season Discussion!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I thought it was a joke?

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    You can never tell with Arlon.

3. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    a nod? yes. Don't assume something on this about me, I don't keep up with the Oscar rules. I member the old Music Man movie got nominated for its music, so I thought this would.

4. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Don't get me started on the Academy and their ridiculous rules in regards to Original Score. Still miffed that There Will Be Blood wasn't allowed to be nominated, despite being one of the best soundtracks so far this century.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Arlon doesn't member what the word original means.

jp-30 likes this.
  6. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Apparently.

7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The bright side to the snubs is that I don't have to worry about Tom Hooper winning.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, I do really love Les Mis but someone needs to get the message across to Hooper to level the camera and pull out wide once in a while. Probably the only time it's made sense to me to have a Best Picture nom without Best Director.

9. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Again Music Man musical was before the movie and got nominated for score at the oscars. I thought it could of been here. Didn't know that it couldn't of existed before then.

10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Piefall

11. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    It won the now-nonexistent award of best adapted score.

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Would anyone be interested in a round of Predict the Oscars when we get a little closer to the ceremony?

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  13. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    if zero dark thirty wins best picture, john mccain will poop his pants in anger.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Again, anyone wish to educate me on why those nommed don't include The Impossible? Was it truly of "lesser quality" both as effects, directing, actor etc. compared to the others (which I have not seen so cannot compare for myself)?

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    So I didn't even notice until finding out through Facebook that The Longest Daycare is nominated for Animated Short Film. Unfortunately I did not watch the latest Ice Age movie (*gasp*) in order to actually see this but still....awesome.

16. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Well, Denzel is nominated for Flight. Though I guess that's more just an alcoholism movie.

That sounds fun, though I think my personal best is not even 50% accuracy.

On the subject of Django Unchained supporting actors, I'd consider throwing Samuel L Jackson into the conversation. He had a lot of tricky lines to walk with that role and did so with aplomb.

It seems kind of crazy to me that The Dark Knight Rises isn't nominated for anything sound-related. I feel like John Williams is going to win the original score category, and this is the rare occasion that that phrase disappoints me. I love John Williams, and Lincoln is a terrific film, but the score was the worst part of the movie.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But how would that be different from any other day?

18. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Flight had the advantage of being pegged as Zemeckis's comeback.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Flight was pretty good, I thought. I'm surprised it didn't get a BP nod. It was about as good as or better than the other three nominees I've seen so far, at least.

20. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    That plane crash sequence in Flight was one of the most captivating things I saw in a film this year, and Washington definitely earned the Best Actor nomination, carrying so much of the rest of the movie on his shoulders as he does.

Also, I just realized The Queen of Versailles wasn't nominated for Best Documentary, which what?? It was one of my favorite movies of the year, documentary or otherwise.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yes, really. It wasn't. I suppose a good question to ask you is what technical award it should have been nominated for. If you say Sound Mixing or Sound Editing, I will fall on the floor laughing.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    No, obviously not those. But I saw the film actually projected in 70mm on a real IMAX screen. It deserved a cinematography nom.

And I presumed we'd still be doing our annual Oscar prediction for colors competition in Amph... Rogue?

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Queen of Versailles is mesmerizing. Love that movie.

24. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Of the BP nominees I've seen (Life of Pi, Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings Playbook), my favorite of the three is Life of Pi.

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I haven't even heard of Silver Linings Playbook before today.

I am more saddened by the Animated snub for Rise of the Guardians. That film was amazing and brilliant and nobody saw it because it was horribly mis-marketed. :(

I'm also shocked at how little Anna Karenina got.