main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Staying Away From Predictability...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JaimePrater, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah I agree that the lack of screen time hurt Lucas the most and I also believe that the grand scope of the PT limited the amount of time devoted to characterization. But I definitely think it is there and I've always enjoyed trying to interpret what Lucas is alluding to.

2. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Still holds more merit than a random fans bleak speculation. I vote keep them together. Show that not all relationships are destined for disaster.

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    One way to stay away from predictability: don't use the Sith as villains(or at least keep that for the EU).

4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Of course it is not necessary in all cases, but there obviously is far more than a casual connection between the two. Clearly intimacy has a way of growing feelings. They may be separate entities, but one has a way of bringing the other, right? Sex isn't like a handshake or having a burger together at Mcdonald's. If you start having sex with someone, you had better be prepared for the attachment that might grow out of it (and you never know when you will meet a person that has chemistry with you, and the feelings REALLY grow after sex); this is clearly not different for Jedi, and Anakin is the perfect example. If attachment is forbidden, you obviously go a long way in preventing violation of that if there is no sex; feelings of attachment grow much slower if we go to movies every weekend versus having sex every weekend.

I do think romance is important in the story of SW, but I don't think it has to be the Jedi.

5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I think sex can be handled in Star Wars, but it has to be the right type of character/tone for the movie. I don't think the next trilogy is going to get much into it. It will have its romantic element and nothing more.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I wouldn't be surprised if "gritty" or "dark" (at least darker than the other SW movies) is the way they go for this trilogy. That simply seems to be the direction that such movies are going nowadays. Which is fine with me, but they may not if they decide to go the route they went with Indiana Jones/Crystal Skull: try to remain faithful to the "tone" of the previous movies...

It seems that so many people are expecting these new movies to be an exact copy of the OT in tone, style, script, and even to an extent in special effects method...I hate to burst bubbles, but:

This trilogy will NOT have the same feel as the OT. Nor should it. This is not Ep. IV-VI revisited. It is a whole new trilogy with a whole new story, and likely-many new characters. The fact that Luke/Leia/Han MAY be in it doesn't mean it should sound, look, and feel JUST like the OT. And if my assumptions are correct, anyone who expects that WILL be disappointed.

I have no idea of the tone or atmosphere of course, or even what the underlying themes of this trilogy will be, but I would suppose it has just as much of a chance of being essentially a mix between PT and OT in the way it looks and feels-kind of taking the best of both. (similar to The Dark Knight Rises when compared to the other two in that trilogy.) Who knows? I could be wrong. Maybe it'll be totally different...But the way the OT turned out is just simply not the way such movies are these days...

7. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I don't think it is so much that people expect something exactly like the OT rather than simply concerned about the people so desperate to get away from everything PT that they would go in to much the opposite direction.

8. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    True...true...

Although, I enjoyed many things about the PT...and it would be safe to bet that the ST will (at least visually) look much more like I-III than the OT with regards to CG and whatnot. So I would say people should expect that, at least. IMO, it would be futile to hope for otherwise...

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    No Jedi either, lets just completely break with tradition all together and have the new trilogy be a romantic comedy set on a moisture farm on Tatooine. We can have tons of pod racing and bad acting. Call the film, "Star Love"- An Ewok's Journey Into The Soul of A Princess. Maybe have some adventure with unicorns searching for the purple amulet as as side story. Banana king? Ya know? Star Wars.

10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Actually, you may be on to something. Maybe the main characters don't have to be Jedi? Perhaps the Jedi can be more or less side characters? No, less than side characters.

A movie trilogy like the upcoming live-action series in that the focus is completely diverted away from the Force-users? ****ing awesome.

11. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    Hell, the Star Wars title should go. "Star Love" is even too close to Star Wars. Call the new series "Stuff And Things". Get David Lynch to write and direct a Kaufkaesque/Lynchian interpretation of universal meaninglessness. A modern existential journey into the mind of the eternal web. Free crack for the first one million people who buy tickets?

12. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

1. and 3. Generally, I'm not keen on having any Skywalker/Solo kids in the ST. I know that Luke and Leia were Anakin and Padme's children, but I think wheeling-in Skywalker/Solo kids is a bit lazy and a bit cheesy. I'd prefer the new Jedi to be force sensitives discovered by Luke during the years between Episodes VI and VII.

5. Yes.

8. I agree with the point about the ''Vader replacement''. It would be so easy to get that wrong. I also don't want to see Star Wars going too far down the road of having new and ever more implausible/unbelievable villains in every film in the ST just for the sake of doing so.

13. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    On a slightly different note, what the hell does ''TPTB'' mean? I keep seeing it used and can't for the life of me work-out what it is supposed to mean.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Powers That Be

15. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    This is one of the things I'm excited about for Ep VII. It wouldn't be a great trilogy without an iconic villain. Darth Vader-hell, even Darth Sidious are some big shoes to fill. I can't wait to see what they come up with-and judging by the kind of caliber of villains we've seen in movies these last few years: Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Avengers, etc... it is definately on track to be great. I know nothing will replace Darth Vader-and I think the producers realize that-but I am beside myself with anticipation at what we'll see! :-B

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    We do need an interesting villain. The possible backstory of Vader was so interesting to know. I mean, who was Vader, how did he fall, what was his relationship with Anakin, Is he Anakin? Who did he fall in love with etc.

17. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    I win. The new spin off film is being done by the guy who did Watchmen and the new Superman and it's focused on Jedi :) I'll go ahead and put my crystal ball back in the closet for a few weeks.

18. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Lucas may not have decided what to do about marriage in 1983, but he seems to have made his decision since then, as we did see Padme and Anakin marry in the PT.

Unlike most people in this thread, *I* would like to see Luke have a family in the ST. I don't see Luke as a hermit, and I think we should have a son or daughter of Luke Skywalker that is a major character in the ST.