main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2013 Sci Fi Movies Preview

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    After Earth

From the man who **** up The Last Airbender. M. Night Shyamalan may be the butt of many jokes, but that is less true of Will Smith - a reliable global box office draw.

Elysium

Blomkamp's back! But not everyone loved District 9. Because they're stupid.

Ender's Game

a movie adaptation took decades to get off the ground. The cast is terrific and includes Harrison Ford, but can it be any good? I'm almost afraid to find out. Its visual effects company went out of business. That has to be a bad omen.

Gravity

Supposedly a hyper-realistic what if scenario about a plausible low-orbit disaster. People seem to be expecting greatness from this one.

Oblivion

The trailer is outstanding. Who dislikes Morgan Freeman? That's all I know.

Pacific Rim

Nothing says quality like giant robots. But it does bring Ron Perlman and Guillermo del Toro together. Here's hoping for something better than the Hellboy sequel.

Riddick

Well, why not? Chronicles of Riddick could not have been more of a disaster, but Twohy has plenty of talent.

Star Trek into Darkness

The expectations have been so low for this franchise that a $150 million Trek movie earning only $385 million in global box office apparently merits a sequel. Also, Chris Pine stinks as cptn Kirk.

This is the End

This is Seth Rogan's oft-retitled end of the world alien invasion comedy. At least I think it's an alien invasion, based on the trailer.

World War Z

zombie global apocalyptic plague. Could be considered sci fi. Depends on how it's done. The book is entertaining, definitely more sci fi than anything else.

What have I missed?

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I liked the hellboy sequel ya jerk!

3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Golden Army? Really? It's true though that no one has a higher tolerance for low quality than us sci fi fanboys, unless it's the comic book audience.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    These movies are all about the end of the world! I thought we were done with 2012!

R2-DK and Juliet316 like this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    We will never be done with the end of the world.

6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    [​IMG]

"I'd follow that man to Hell and back, I would!"

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    More and more people are realizing that the real end of the world is on its way. Justified end of the world angst leaks out into popular culture.

I will say though that World War Z, at least the book, is truly a story of hope. The only really bad news at the end is that the oceans are still jam-packed with zombies.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I enjoyed Hellboy 2. Also loved Chronicles of Riddick. what exactly was the disaster you saw? Also, Pine was a fine Kirk.

At least now we know where Tunick's negative attitude went.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Look at the bright side. After the end of the world comes, we won't be talking about it anymore.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm just trying to flush out the people who enjoyed Hellboy 2 and Chronicles of Riddick so I know for future reference. Knowing that, I believe I can predict whether you will like any given movie before you see it. So, now just PM me before you go see a movie and I'll send you back your review of it.

11. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Don't be sad. We're all in this together. We're sci fi fans. We have no taste at all. I'm facilitating the support group.

13. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    But your OP shows me your idea of good/bad is not trustworthy.

14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Yes. Because I'm a sci fi fan.

Or to put it another way, if my idea of good/bad were more trustworthy, I never would have been able to become a lifelong fan of science fiction.

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Put me down as another one who liked Hellboy 2.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ender's Game. I have not read the books. The author is an extreme right wing werido. I look forward to this film.

After Earth. Who doesn't harbor a fantasy of going through everyone's stuff after they all vanish?

Star Trek Into Darkness

Pacific Rim. I will see it. I am mixed. Giant things not obliterating the environ around them but it looks cool.

Iron Man 3.

Hunger Games 2. I hear the books after the first are not as good. I hope they break the trend for the films.

Lobo. As in the DC character. This could be awesome or stupid. But having read the Lobo comics...the good ones...this could be epic awesomeness.

GI Joe 2, meh, maybe.

The next Riddick. It gets my money but I was not happy that a somewhat good hard scifi attempt went to fantasy.

AOTC and ROTS 3D, take my money please; especially the AOTC speeder chase on Coruscant.

Man Of Steel. Another superhero origin story reboot, but this is gonna rock.

Gravity, I have not heard of this until now. It has my interest.

Jurassic Park in 3D. Not sure. I might.

The Hobbit There and Back Again. Yep. Take my money. SMAUG.

17. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    That makes no sense whatsoever.

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I didn't love the Hunger Games sequels. The first movie was such a straightforward and uninspired adaptation it was hard not to lose interest, but I'll probably go see the next movie anyway.

There's also The Prototype. Another Robots Gone Wild movie.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You mean The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. TABA is a 2014 film.

20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The World's End - starring Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Rosmund Pike, and Paddy Considine, directed by Edgar mother****ing Wright.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  21. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    mrvos loves Riddick so much that once he had to fish in Mexico for 2 weeks and he took Pitch Black, Riddick and the animated movie to watch since there was no tv. If you try to tell him Vin Deisel is gay, he'll turn you into chum. Not kidding.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Pitch Black is one of my favorite monster movies, but it kind of stinks as sci fi.

23. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    The term you're looking for is "sci fi elements". Really, there aren't that many science fiction movies, most of what you're talking about is just movies with science fiction elements.

24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Hellboy 2 is brilliant for the art department alone.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yes, this.