main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Things you don't want to see in the future EU ever again?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Jan 7, 2013.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

Zorrixor, TrakNar and Esg like this.
  2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Really I find Allston actually creates characters in his Jedi as opposed to name dropping. Please tell me the difference between Denning's Dordi and Zal? Now tell me the back story to Seha Dorvald or Doran Tainer? He even got the Horn kids some page time. :D

That being said, Golden is rising in the ranks.

My list would be as follows:
    • No more barabels
    • No more 9 book rotating authors
    • No more of Obi-Pimp
    • No more Luke has to solve all the galaxy's problems (let him stay in the council chamber so when he does come out it is more meaningful)
    • No more poor political plots in the Legacy Era
    • No more indirection. Work with Disney, map it out, make it consistent and maybe have the coming war be a 20 book series plus the books. Much like the clone wars except better.
    • But more book like Scourge, Crosscurrent, and Riptide except with characters like Kyle Katarn, the Horn family, Ben Skywalker, Lowbacca, Tahiri...

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    And this idea was ditched... why? I have a sneaking suspicion that it has something to do with editorial mandate.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The Readers Companion mentions that the cameo count was getting kind of high for those two books and so the idea was dropped.

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Ah. Well, that's understandable. It always bugs me when characters are shoehorned in for no real good reason.

6. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Luke carrying everyone forevermore. The NJO not being able to file a daily budget report or organize a simple office supply cabinet, without his help.

SiouxFan likes this.
  7. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Luceno must have really had his heart set on an out-of-character Boba Fett cameo in the NJO.

8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    My point exactly, my hope with the ST is people will want to see more of the new generation, allowing Luke to be the Yoda, rarely leaving the council chambers

Zorrixor likes this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Why not kill Luke?

V-2 likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

...but what do you think Kenobi is going to be about??

TrakNar likes this.
  11. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    • Killiks

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Just the Killiks, or all of buglove? :p

13. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    1. Jedi dynasties. I didn't get into Star wars to read about some Jedi super-family (I'm looking at you SkySolos) who long ago stopped being normal and relatable people. You know who I like to read about? People like Darth Krayt. This guy came from the desert, a relatively minor Jedi, and managed to actually do some real damage when he turned Sith. And you know what was awesome? He wasn't a SkySolo. He didn't impregnate a woman for a 'legacy.' He didn't need to. He was his own legacy.

2. Galaxy spanning wars. I think the reason why we have such a dearth of characters is because many of the books were stuck on focusing on these big name people instead of actually exploring other places and events. There are tons of smuggling stories, bounty hunters who ran afoul of the Empire, folks who had to deal with the unexpected visit of Darth Vader, stuff like that.

3. Clones. If the original character was awesome, cloning them just looks like it's the cheap man's way to cash in on that awesome. Unless it's a story meant to showcase a Franken-clone or some sort, it just looks lame and like the author was bankrupt for ideas. TFU had Franken-clones, and they fit in with the story. A clone of Palpatine? It just made me think they couldn't be bothered to come up with a decent uber-bad without copy-pasting.

Death T, RC-1991, TrakNar and 2 others like this.
  14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    One more Obi Pimp. in Kenobi but only if he acts like Cantina Arm Chopping, John Wayne Kenobi too

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I agree on two of your points, Galaxy Spanning Wars and Clones. I think the Jedi Dynasties would dull down if they stepped off and told stories about Kyle Katarn, or Valin Horn, or any number of cool Jedi they have created and haven't used. If they were cool, then that would be awesome. And while I am for a Horn family Legacy. I don't want to see EVERY Jedi have a family Legacy. Probably only the popular ones will get one... I wouldn't mind if Kyle Katarn had a kid...

16. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    But that's the main issue with legacies, they aren't focusing on Kyle, or Jaden or any of the other folks because they are too stuck on trying to make the SkySolos awesome. It's like the bad British tabloids trying to hype up whatever the royal family is doing at any given moment. They are taking a bunch of boring people who are only special because of some bloodline, and trying to make them sound like the most interesting thing since sliced bread. And that's what Jedi dynasties become. A bunch of boring people who the authors try to hype up by making them ridiculously powerful or giving them fancy titles like 'Sword of the Jedi."

To state it thusly, Kyle Katarn is special because he is Kyle Katarn. He is special because he did something noteworthy, not because he had an awesome father/mother. Making him have a kid is committing the same sin as cloning, because it is in reality trying to 'borrow' the fame of another.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    At the same time, it is hard to let go of fan favorites. They either die a death fans hate (Mara), or they grow too old or unused and die in a retirement home (Ackbar). Still Ackbar had a daughter and a niece... Yet when I read about Clighal. I don't say, there is Ackbar's Legacy, sure that is what it started as, but now she is the Jedi Order's Primary Healing Master. She has her niche within the books, and I enjoy her character, not as niece of Ackbar but as Clighal, Jedi Master.

In the same way I hope to enjoy characters such as Valin Horn, not as Son of Corran Horn, but a wonderful Jedi in his own right.

Same goes for Gavin Darklight, Cousin of Biggs Darklighter. Gavin was initially added to be the rookiee with connections to the EP IV late hero. Now he is the Admiral or something. I don't think of Biggs when I read Gavin, I think of Gavin.

The Bwau'tu Clan... Well That I can't even wrap my head around...

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well most of the Sith are their own legacy, they don't have some super family but they are great.

Look at the iconic characters of TOR and you will see the difference, Malgus is a guy without some great ancestor but he still kicks ass, but Satele Shan has to be Revan and Bastilla's descendent.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    So current theory is being Sith makes you Bad A$% but to be an awesome Jedi you need generations of eugenics?

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Jedi can be cool without some bloodline, such as Revan and Surik, but I'm not sure why didn't they create more character like these.

21. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I've not read that far into the future in the EU. Are things turning so Dune-like?

22. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    they do... Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn, Kyp Durron, Seha Dorvald, Kam Solusar, Kit Fitsto

Plus the obvious ones, Mace Windu, Yoda, Obi Wan Kenobi...

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But these are not the protagonists, and Mace Windu does come from a powerful Force sensitive clan.

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    When you consider the fact that Jaina's Uncle-in-law is Wedge Antilles...

[​IMG]
    Then add, Allana being daughter of Jacen and Tenel Ka.
    Jaina get married to Wedge's nephew...

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Corran Horn (I, Jedi)
    Mander Zuma (Scourge)
    Jaden Korr (Riptide/Crosscurrent/Jedi Academy) (Might be a clone of some Jedi)
    Kyle Katarn (Jedi Outcast)
    Ganner Kreig (NJO)
    Obi Wan Kenobi (Kenobi)

If you are going to refer to Revan... then all of these guys are fair game...