main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Droid Factory Sequence

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Corran1138, Dec 6, 2012.

1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    What would be left then? ;)

2. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    siblings warming up on Hoth :p

3. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It may seem to you like there is a lot of childishness in the PTs, but when excised, the consensus of the fan editors seem to suggest that there is about 20 minutes per film give or take for personal taste that needs cut. I have yet to see the fixes for the OT, but from the descriptions it seems like about that number of minutes were removed from ROTJ.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Farm boy saves the kingdom is a pretty childish narrative. Excise Luke from ANH.

5. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    There are e
    I am aware of edits where most of ANH is gone.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    [face_talk_hand]

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    You could edit (or rewrite) most of ESB away, and a large part of ROTJ, as hardly any of it serves the main narrative. Cut the Hoth and asteroid scenes; open with Luke going to Yoda on Dagobah (with Ben voiceover telling him to go there if you wish), and move the "I am your father" to the cave vision. Then toss the rest of the film and the Jabba scenes from ROTJ, and segue directly to Luke sitting by Yoda's side midway through ROTJ.

8. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    I am "aware" of fan edits where the entire film has been re-edited into an entirely different film. Apparently it takes away all of the problems people have with them.

One is titled Weekend at Bernie's II.

Darth Chiznuk and FRAGWAGON like this.
  9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    But there are no OT haters. Even the PT fans like the OT. And most of the OT fans don't hate the PT, just the very vocal ones although I grant you the possibility that a fair amount may dislike the PT or feel it doesn't live up to the OT. But hate - eh. And it's getting tiresome to be subjected to the rants and raves of haters no matter where we go or where we are in SW boards.

10. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I miss the good ol' days when we simpleton fans liked the movies.

11. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    yeah i agree, when i was a kid i really thought it was funny when it first came out. So i don't mind it now, just a generational thing I think

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Exactly! I can't for the life of me understand why so many people spend so much time with something they don't even like! I don't like spam and I try to spend as little time around it as possible.

13. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    There are many reasons to hate it:

(1) because it was very obviously tacked on... And it was. They shot this after principal filming had wrapped up and called the actors back.
    (2) it's virtually a video game. You can just see they were planning this for a AOTC video game that never happened.
    (3) Any real person placed in that situation would be killed in under 2 seconds. Somehow Padme survives being chopped to kibble and being smothered in molten metal. Not to mention all the fumes would have killed her.

You can kind of see that Lucas was going for the Industrial danger scenes that James Cameron is famous for, such as in Terminator 2... Only Lucas botches it.

There are plenty of secondary reasons to hate it, too.

(1) R2-D2 flies, which he NEVER HAS SHOWN ANY INDICATION OF DOING IN THE PAST, and even worse HE WILL FORGET HE CAN DO IN THE FUTURE (aside from hovering for 3 seconds on the Invisible Hand). Whaaaaaa?
    (2) C-3PO's bad puns are shifted into OVERDRIVE to the point where it's groan inducing and borders on bad slapstick. Dangling from platforms by his fingertips (when he can't even move his arm above shoulder level in EVERY OTHER INSTANCE WE'VE SEEN HIM), having his head knocked off and put onto a TF droid's body, ugh... I'm tired from all the groaning.
    (3) The animation is particularly bad, cartoonish, and sticks out. It's completely out of place and takes you out of the movie.

14. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Clearly, with all the boring political dialog
    [​IMG]

immolation
    [​IMG]

mass murder of children
    [​IMG]

forced amputation
    [​IMG]

beheading
    [​IMG]

Clearly appropriate for children

15. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    are you saying it's NOT for children?

*confused*

I guess all the film certification boards in every country got it wrong

they/my bad.

16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    janstett

Of course it is. Avatar: The Last Airbender includes instances of genocide, the death of children, child abuse, war (with fighting by children), terrorism, political conspiracy, etc.

It also features a 13 year old boy getting viciously burned and humiliated by his father.

And it is most undoubtedly for children. Although it has a large older fanbase as well.

Star Wars falls into the same mold. It isn't a "kid's movie" like Barney because it's not something that you can just pop in and let your kids watch by themselves, but it is most definitely a family movie. It's child-appropriate, but meant to be discussed and and understood with guidance. The best kind of entertainment for children, in my opinion. It doesn't talk down to them.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  17. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Their life stinks and it's George Lucas' fault.

18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It just went on for too long, but that seems to be a common problem with a lot of modern action movies. The music repeated from the lengthy Zam chase even makes that more obvious. That same summer Spielberg sort of did the whole thing better with the Lexus factory sequence in Minority Report, a perfect example of his method of chain reaction cause-and-effect action sequences. Imagine if Anakin and Padme had gotten away in a Trade Federation tank constructed around them. Still, it looked good as eye candy, which is the most addictive thing about the Prequels, and in the first viewing, C-3PO's head switcheroo thing was an interesting twist.

19. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Many scenes were shot after Pricipal Photography had ended in all the SW movies, including some great ones. Is that a reason to hate them?
    (the droid factory scene was shot significantly early, btw, in the first round of pick-ups!)

20. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The recycled (and chopped up) music might be a clue that factories often offer repackaged or imitation goods. The movie is also called ATTACK OF THE CLONES, which suggests an assault of similar, if not identical, situations and experiences.

Spielberg's car factory sequence involves one hero protagonist (framed) on the run from authorities: in and of itself, a pretty routine modality. The droid factory sequence in AOTC is a little more involved than that, giving us two, and then four, good guys: two flesh-and-bloods, two droids; each with romantic inclinations (of a kind) for the other. And they don't cleanly make it out of there.

Threepio's comical discombobulation, where he is first doing the robotic equivalent of hyper-ventilating ("It's a nightmare!"), then mithered ("I wonder what happened to poor little Artoo?"), then totally confused ("I'm so confused" as his head is now attached to a foreign body), entering a fugue-like state of being completely disconnected from his former self, until later rescued by Artoo, definitely adds appeal, IMO. The violence of what's happening is quite charged; and the way it's shot gives it a degree of abstraction beyond Spielberg's own conveyer-belt kinematics.

The droid factory sequence, if watched a particular way, is also a rhyme with the sanitized cloning facility on Kamino (as D. Trull, owner of Lard Biscuit, in his AOTC analyis, put it: the Kaminoans are "the suits" and the Geonosians are "the t-shirts" in corporate speak), as if clarifying that earlier, anodyne presentation as a fallacy or fraud. This is the comparable mess the galaxy is getting into as the political body changes from something that at least calls itself democracy to overt bureaucracy/tyranny. Obi-Wan is greeted warmly -- cordially -- by the Kaminoans, but the characters that fall off the ledge -- Anakin, Padme, and Threepio -- get themselves into a right to-do (the action scene equivalent of a farce), requiring rescue by a magical floaty robot. It's also quite fun on this level.

Finally, the sequence is like an "alternate universe" portrayal of the final reel, where war erupts, characters fully lose their leads in the metaphorical sense, and Anakin really loses an arm this time. The droid factory sequence is more than an overture: it's like some surreal simulacrum of what's come before (the chase sequence on Coruscant) and what's to follow (war -- with another chase sequence involving the same characters). It's where you "go" in the film, so to speak, if you want an "Idiot's Guide" to the Clone Wars: a lush, slapstick version of what is already behind as prologue and what's sure to follow.

{Quantum/MIDI} likes this.
  21. Darth Ruian

Darth Ruian Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2013
    My crush on Natalie Portman has made any scene with her in it enjoyable. ;)