main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ITT We Discuss Where Sci-Fi and Fantasy Got it Right/Wrong

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jan 11, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If I am not mistaken Marty McFly went to the future in early 2013 or late 2012.

And yes my lil buddy Jabbadabbado does not take into his calc that folks like Space-X are trying to make access to orbit cheaper and even a partial success steals from larger competitors who will be forced to get less expensive.

"My sincere belief is that's the fundamental mistake of classic sci fi. We are sentenced to imprisonment on our home planet for the life of our species, as is any intelligent life in the universe. For all practical purposes we are utterly alone, and there is no help for us other than what we can do to create a sustainable path for the human race on our home planet by limiting our population and by limiting and maximizing the efficiency of our consumption of limited resources."

True! But we limited to expansion only because of corrupt economics, and as I just pointed out certain folks are well on their way to overcoming this hurdle.

kainee likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    What sci - fi got wrong. The movie 2012 and the colonization story plot of X-Files. Do I need say anymore why these two entities got it wrong?

VadersLaMent likes this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Colonizing space. It is just not going to happen.

Darth Guy likes this.
  4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Day After Tomorrow: - near-present.
    Star Trek: Warp drive tested in the year 2063 - unlikely.
    Looper: time travel invented I think also in the 2060s.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    2015. It's 2015. Why do so many people on the internet get it wrong? It's really simple. The "past" is 1955 (1885 in Part III), the "present" is 1985, and the "future" is 2015. 30-year intervals and exactly one century before.

EDIT: And Thomas Malthus is the greatest sci-fi writer of all time. OF ALL TIME.

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it will, but not anywhere close to our lifetime

kainee likes this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Another did not happen as predicted by Sci Fi-

Terminator - "Judgement Day" did not occur. Or maybe it did for the Tea Party the last election day? :p

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Futurama - no viable cryonic storage by the year 2000. Just huckster companies preying on the stupid rich.

kainee likes this.
  9. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Space travel, time travel?? I'm still waiting for edible dishes!!

10. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    kainee likes this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Soylent Green (takes place in 2022)- We're not nearly at the level of food shortages in that movie, nor are we close to resorting to cannibalism.

And isn't Nike making those self-tying shoes from BTTF? Same with Mattel and hoverboards. No Jaws 19 (though we may be on track for Star Wars 19 :p )

12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Actually....

The first known human cryonic freezing did not occur until January 1967. James Hiram Bedford (20 April 1893 – 12 January 1967?) was a University of California psychology professor who had written several books on occupational counseling.[1] He is the first person whose body was cryonically preserved (frozen) after legal death, and who remains cryopreserved

From Wikipedia

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    kainee likes this.
  14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I think we're projected to hit about 7.7 billion by 2022, so only 10% more than today worldwide, with growth well below 1% annually. What Soylent Green got wrong was the crowding. But in 10 years there are going to be places facing awful water shortage problems and corresponding immense pressures on both urban populations and food production. We are really going to feel that extra 10%.

kainee likes this.
  15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Sci fi literature got it mostly right. Ender's Game predicted the influence of the internet, maybe in a sort of idealized version with people debating politics and influencing public opinion instead of just trading misinformation about 9/11 conspiracies.

kainee and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Collector's edition that was auctioned off earlier this year.

17. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    I haven't read Ender's Game, but I will. I based my statement on sci/fi that was written in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I read a few short stories in Azimov's Sci-Fi Fantasy magazine that were written in the 90's and they were very, very wrong about message boards, the internet and virtual reality.

One had the internet more like real estate that you bought and sold or stole and it was more interactive and more like virtual reality than what it is today. Users had to wear disclaimer buttons if their avatar was not like what they were in real life. i.e., if my avatar was male, I'd have to have a large flashing sign somewhere on my avatar saying I was female. Same for age, level of beauty, etc.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Akira: Tokyo did not blow up in 1988.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    No wrinkly grey children named after characters from Tetsujin 28-go running around, either.

20. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    where are the elves and dwarves in the fossil record? where are they?!

ima stab the first smartass who posts homo florensis

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Childhood's End: No demonic-looking aliens came to Earth to overview and safeguard the evolution of the last generation of mankind into a transcendental group-mind.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    [​IMG]

23. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Aliens - smoking in a spaceship.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    12 Monkeys: self-explanatory

AI: no WTC 2000 years from now, in fact no WTC now

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Okay, this is only tangentially related to the topic, but I find a trend in scifi (and even fantasy sometimes) to be annoying. This thing where everyone says something isn't going to work, but the one wacky fringe scientist guy thinks it will and he ends up making it work. This is how science in scifi is portrayed. This is not at all how science in real life works.

kainee likes this.