main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit EU fans in high places

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Man Who Sold the Moon, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I can speak for Firefly. Be afraid, instantdeath. Be very afraid.

Er... and watch the film Serenity too.

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

I still can't watch certain portions of Serenity even now.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It isn't.

4. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    That was my first thought and it very well could be the case, but I still feel either the PA or the guy who sold him/her the statue had to have "sneaked it in" somehow. Otherwise it'd be a Darth Vader Mr.potatohead or a metal-bikini Leia.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I already see certain characters with a target on their forehead.

Now that you mention it, though, I have heard that many die in Serenity. It would make sense that few die in the show itself; it's only meant to be the first season. You don't want to gut your main cast in the first season of a show that should have had a long career.

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    You may be right about Buffy if you're limiting yourself to opening-credits characters, but there were recurring characters that hit the viewer almost as hard in their passing.

But yeah, Angel. Oy. Doyle is what really taught me not to get attached to any of Whedon's characters. That kept me from getting too into the show, which payed off, it sounds like, when Whedon decided he would prance through the cast with a scythe and a skull-like grin.

As for Firefly ... sounds like you've been spoiled enough by now, instantdeath, that it's no spoiler to tell you the ride through the series is smoother than a lot of Whedon ... but you're going to take a beating when you get to the movie.

7. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    The Sister, Sister clip has been pulled. Can anyone tell me what the joke was?

8. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    I pretty large amount. Chicago is a big sports town so its split between this station and ESPN.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The only high place that matters is LFL, and I don't think there are any there, otherwise they would have respect for the EU.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Without spoiling you more--that's not exactly the case. The show got the rug pulled out from under it mid-season; there's nothing even approaching a resolution prior to Serenity.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  11. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Is Pablo Hildago an EU fan? I know he is keeper of The Holocron... I hope he is just sitting in the room with Michael Ardnt as he writes EP 7. Honestly, it should be interesting what we get...

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    my bad, Leland Chee... I got them mixed up...is he an EU fan?
    I thought of Pablo Hildago due to the Essential Reader's Companion

14. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    It's been a looooooong time since I've watched the show but the only ones I can remember are
    Buffy's mom and Giles's girlfriend.
    I guess their deaths did have a huge effect on the main cast but I never thought of either one as a major character. There could be others I'm forgetting though.

Thanks.

15. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    You forgot
    Tara and Jonathan
    . Plus a few other more minor characters. Oh, and the big death at the end of the season 8 comics. :_| And possibly another big death in the newest season 9 issue.[face_nail_biting]

16. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Yeah, I don't even remember who Jonathan is. I did forget Tara, though to be fair I remember frequently forgetting who she was while watching the show. :p

17. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Jonathan was the nerdy guy that went to high school with them and later teamed up with Warren and Andrew before turning his back on them and trying to help Buffy. Andrew stabbed him in season 7.

18. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    If I recall correctly, he pretty much single-handedly put in all of the EU characters in the old 1990s Rebellion game. This was long before he became Keeper of the Holocron, a job which pretty much demands one love the EU if one wants to retain any amount of sanity.

19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Its not Leland Chee's fault that LFL basically does whatever they want, all of the irritating retcons he has done make it blatantly obvious that his hands are tied.

thesevegetables likes this.
  20. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Totally. I feel as if some guys at Lucasfilm don't do any research and make up new storylines without even considering that stories have come before that they need to work around.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    The Mander Zuma could have been any number of people and been more interesting... Mander Zuma was ok. But using Kyp or Tionne or Streen would have worked too...

22. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Some of his retcons are not very good. The whole Ryloth thing could have been reasonably explained.

Mandalore was simply painful. Even Piell...ugh.

23. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't particularly care for any of his retcons, but I don't blame him for what he had to deal with.

24. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    My point was not to blame him for what he has to deal with, but to blame him for the manner in which he does so. I think some of the retcons are pretty bad, when much easier explanations could have been put forward. For example, as I've written before in the TCW continuity thread, there really was no contradiction necessary for Ryloth. In that case I think Leland simply said the book is wrong and the TCW now canonically gives Ryloth rotation. However, all that was necessary was a simple comment that Ryloth has a slight wobble and thus near the border of the light and dark side it can change from dark to light in some locations.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.