main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #1: In the Shadow of Yavin, Part 1 (of 6, not 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Oct 19, 2012.

1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I will take your word for it, then. The scene still felt very off for me, though.

2. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    So when does this comic happen in relation to the stories we got in Empire and Rebellion?

3. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    It takes place after the earlier storylines of the "Empire" (Betrayal, Darklighter, Roons Sewell, What Sin Loyalty? etc) but before the later ones (Jabiim, Janek Sunber, Able) and the Rebellion series.

Now, if you ask me when it takes place relating to the original Marvel Star Wars and the comic strip series, I'll be damned if I know.

4. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Thanks that was what I wanted to know. I'll be getting it soon and I wanted to know where to fit it in.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Speaking of Rebellion, the art actually reminds me of it a bit. Feels strangely fitting. :)

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Rebels are still on Yavin, even though we don't see it in this first issue- but part of the Alliance has already left Yavin to form the roving fleet and is searching for bases (alongside the efforts launched from Yavin during the newspaper strips).

There is a break between the Yavin evac in the newspaper strips and the arrival at Hoth, even though it occurs within the same story in the strips. This was the result of condensing the Rebel's time on Yavin down to 6 months, which I believe was done in the mid/late 90's and not directly by DHC but rather reference sources.

So, there's about a 2.5 year gap in the middle of that story to explain the 6 month evac date with the 3 years start of ESB (where Echo Base is still being built).

The post above is a good guideline, but to be more specific (at least as far as shelf order goes for trades):

-Empire Volumes 1-2
    -ANH
    -Empire Volume 3 (except for Target: Vader in Volume 3, which is later)
    -ALTA Vol 1
    -Classic SW Vol 1
    -ALTA Vol 2
    -Vader's Quest (2 months ABY)
    -Star Woods: In the Shadow of Yavin (2 months ABY)
    -Classic Star Wars Vol 4
    -Classic Star Wars Vol 2 & 3 (Yavin Evac)
    -Empire Volume 4 (most of it is 6 months ABY, though the first two issues are before ANH and the last issue is during ESB)
    -Empire Volumes 5-7 (6-8 months ABY)
    -Rebellion Volumes 1-3 + Part of Vector Volume 2 (9 months ABY)
    -Star Wars Adventures: Princess Leia and the Royal Ransom (1 year ABY)
    -River of Chaos (1 year ABY; UK TPB only)
    -Splinter of the Mind's Eye (2 years ABY)
    -SWA: Boba Fett and the Ship of Fear (2 years ABY)
    -ESB (3 years ABY)

Obviously there's a lot of overlap between the collected Marvel and Classic volumes, but thats more or less the order

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I really feel like the later issues of Empire and Rebellion should be moved from the first year to the third. Most of the characters, particularly Luke, are so much more mature in them than they are in some other comics from around the same time. Plus, it would somewhat stifle the impression that almost nothing at all happens after the first year between ANH and ESB.

But of course that's irrelevant towards this particular comic.

8. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm a fan of anything pertaining to this era. the comic felt fresh and also helps develop the characters attitudes around this time. Sure we know Leia from the flicks and the novels, but every time a new writer steps in the character will evolve. Her scene planet-side depicted her as a true rebel at heart, imo. The dialogue felt a little stiff but let's see how Wood handles himself over a 6 issue arc rather than condemning it before it starts.

CooperTFN likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well I think what was important for DHC with Empire and Rebellion was to hit the gaps that would provide them the greatest amount of freedom to do what they wanted. Being in that 9-12 months ABY gave them room to do something major like the trap for the Rebel fleet.

Plus, jumping too close to ESB makes the comic more of an ESB/late war setting when the intention, I assume, was to focus on the characters when they were still developing as heroes in that post-ANH classic timeframe- much like this new series.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, another nice touch: I like how Leia referred to Obi-Wan as "General Kenobi." It really helped sell the whole setting. I just really like the feel of the thing.

Which is a surprise.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I felt the same way about them calling Leia "Senator". It's like--oh, right, she's a Senator!

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Ive got mine almost the same way in that order

13. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I wasn't blown away but I enjoyed it. Some critiques:

1. The art was inconsistent in quality & style.

2. The writing was flat/wooden in places.

After touting this as a pure "ANH"-era comic, there were actually many references to the the overall OT & the EU., which I liked. I also liked that Vader was clearly based on the original Marvel comics adaptation, that was cool.

Overall, a solid 3 out of 5.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, the title of "Senator" really should of been the more commonly used one in the Rebellion. They were the Alliance to Restore the Republic, afterall. And the dissolution of the Senate was one of the final straws.

--Adm. Nick

15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Princess should really have only been used by Alderaanians, for the most part.

16. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Picked this up today. Pretty good, everyone seemed in character. I found it funny that Wedge looked the closest to previous comics out of all the characters.

The comment that Wedge was a better pilot than Luke threw me off for a moment, but then I realized that this was just two months after Yavin. Wedge has been flying X-Wings much longer than Luke at this point. He doesn't have enough experiance for his natural talent to overtake Wedge's yet.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

17. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003

Don't forget CSW: The Early Adventures and Luke meeting Boba Fett for the first, or second, time.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    CSW TEA is Vol 4 on my list.

You referring to the Holiday Special with your second comment?

19. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Ah the good old "Holiday Special." Now thats the classic we all love...:p

20. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Just the cultured ones.

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Well, well, well! Look who it is. Leia Daughter of Bail, Senator of Alderaan! Oh, but I'm forgetting, you don't have Alderaan. And you don't have a Senate. Which makes you... nobody, really.

22. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    What is this series actually about?

23. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Something to do spaceships, aliens, and the force. :D

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I think nothing in that says that the first arc has to be 7 issues. The series is an ongoing, after all.

Unless Randy has altered the deal again.