main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Dinosaurs with Mad Cow Disease. Don't laugh, it was a major plot point to the Lost World novel. Feeding your cloned dinosaurs modern farm animals is a big no-no. Makes the raptors go crazy and resort to cannibalism.

Oh and the Costa Rican chapter of the Men in Black who deal with dead dinos washing up on the beach every so often.

And the fact that instead of frog DNA, Jurassic Park's Carnotauruses were blended with chameleons....they are the perfect ambush predator.

DarthBoba likes this.
  2. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Stan Winston Studios was the highlight for me.....sure the Spinosaurus made no damn sense...but, good god that was one impressive build.
    [​IMG]

Too bad it wasn't used correctly.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Aytee-Aytee : TLW's novel was practically designed as an action movie, much more than the original was. Why they didn't just do a straight adaptation baffles me.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I loved Alan in that but I absolutely hated them making him and Ellie broken up. What was the point of that? I know it might be a realistic possibility, but dammit, the end of JP1 is so sweet :p

EDIT: Crichton actually wrote TLW because Spielberg wanted him to (in exchange, Crichton really wanted Spielberg to help him produce ER, which he did). So yeah, it is totally baffling why they felt they should change so much. TLW is a fun film (except for the last 20 minutes), but it could have been much better.

DarthBoba and DarthTunick like this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Watching TLW was a sequence of forehead slaps. "They cut out the high hide?" "They cut out Dodgson?" "They cut out the jeep running out of gas bit?" "They cut out Doc Thorne!?" "They cut out the MOTORCYCLE CHASE?!" "Oh, they cut all that stuff so they could REDO GODZILLA!?!?!" *forehead has a permanent imprint of a hand on it*

DarthBoba likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I read the book long after I saw the movie, and it really didn't leave an impression with me.

The first JP is the best, followed closely by the second. The third was only good because of Allan Grant and Ellie Satler.

7. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    They cut out all of the scenes where Sarah Harding was a total badass.

8. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    I'm going to disagree with you. I prefer JP3 over TLW for three reasons....
    1. Sam Neill is a better lead than Jeff Goldblum
    2. They didn't ruin book characters like TLW did.
    3. They filmed it in Hawaii. TLW was filmed mostly in California, and the geography always irritated me. Redwoods shouldn't exist in the tropics. [face_plain]

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    On the upside, supposedly Amblin shut the Dino-hybrids-with-guns stuff as soon as they saw the concept art, so at least they realize it was completely wrong for a JP movie.

The Spino was a hell of a build... I'm still shocked that no one thought they should film the post-filming animatronic T-Rex fighting the animatronic Spino fight where the Spino apparently took the T-Rex's head off.

I mean, seriously, you decide you're going to trash some multi-million dollar battlebots and you don't film it?!

TLW is still my favorite of the series, even though JP1 is the best. I prefer Malcolm to Grant, I liked the hunter, I loved several of the sequences (the cliff/trailer sequence is still the best of the entire series, and a Top 5 of Spielberg's career) and I enjoyed the manic craziness of the T-Rex/San Diego sequence, even if it was more over the top than other stuff. And I love the score a lot more than JP's (JP has two great tracks- the main theme/journey to the island & the T-rex triumphant, but TLW does recycle them both so you get the great TLW tracks in addition to the 2 best JP1 tracks).

Head to head, TLW is more rewatchable but JP1 wins out in overall quality, but if I was choosing my desert island discs, I'd go with TLW over JP1.

And thats coming from someone who also laments the elements from the novel that were not used in the movie (and I read it when the book hit). The loss of the Dodgson stuff is most notable in tying the two films together.

StarWarrior92 likes this.
  10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    4. The people who were idiots in JP3 had reason to be idiots; the people acting like idiots in TLW were supposed to be highly educated and well-trained.
    5. The pacing is better in JP3
    6. Pterodactyls
    7. Tea Leoni does Fay Wray proud with her screaming

DarthBoba likes this.
  11. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Um...okay...

But all this talk of which is better makes me want to rewatch all three to compare.

12. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    - Burke, the paleontologist "Snake? SNAKE! SNAAAAKE!" *runs into Rexy's mouth*

- Sarah Harding making it a point to talk about how great the Rex's sense of smell is....but never getting rid of her jacket with the baby rex blood and scent all over it, even when it is KNOWN that the rexes are following them (scene in which the group is walking, the rexes roar and Roland raises his gun and looks around, just before they stop and rest)

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's hardly suprising that scientists are dumb, I've seen plenty of examples of supposedly educated people doing stupid things.

My main beef with JP3 is that Spinosaurus would not have killed T-Rex. The film-makers clearly are of the idea that the biggests Dinos are the best, that is not always true. Spinosaurus may be the largest of all the carnivorous Dinosaurs, but it was a fish eater and not made for combat with the bone-crushing king of reptiles (who it should be noted has the strongest bite of any terrestrial animal.......ever).

That implies Chameleons change colour to blend in with surroundings, which they don't. The only major benefit a Dino with Chameleon DNA would gain is the ability to see forwards and backwards at the same time :p

14. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Umm....yeah some species do...
    Here's a time-lapse video.

Carolina Anoles do it too, going from green to brown as needed.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Colour change is a response to mood, temperature, health and light intensity. It's not done for camoflage.

Plus, not all chameleons can change and of the ones that do many can do it in a limited capacity (only turning brown or grey).
    All you would get with chameleon dinos is them going darker or lighter depending on the time of day or if they got annoyed.

You'd be better off using cephalopod DNA, they can blend in with their environment much more effectively.

^ That is how it's done.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I've known a lot of hunters in my time. I've never known one that would carry his gun barrel up through a rainstorm or go out to actually get the animal without checking the weapon (after leaving it next to a saboteur, I might add). This guy is supposed to be the best big game hunter in the world.

DarthBoba likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Trailer for the rerelease is supposed to up Thursday.

[​IMG]

That poster is phenomenal, however.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  18. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    But does it have King Kong?

19. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    That poster is sweet

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    JP 4 release date confirmed as June 13 2014.

Stated that no director or cast attached, seems odd to decide it will be out in just over a year when filming hasn't even started. Unless that is soon to be announced because it is already sorted.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Booyah.

EDIT: Curses -- beaten!:p

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Is there a plot handed out for it yet? Aside from the general humans chased by T-Rex or T-rex-ish creature?

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    :D Although with less than a year and a half to release...idk :p

24. Daft-Vader

Daft-Vader Chosen One star 8

Aug 6, 2008
    Not long to get all the dinosaur models/ CGI done...? :eek:

25. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, if spielberg were directing I wouldn't be worried-he got War Of The Worlds and the first Jurassic Park done in a year. But as far as I know he isn't.

I just hope it's not some shoddy rush job.