main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Things you don't want to see in the future EU ever again?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I would cite Galen Marek, but he too was child of a Jedi. Granted it was just some random Jedi but still...

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Revan is the central figure of the Jedi Civil War, these guys are not the protagonists of a galactic central event.

Look at the Sith, Exar Kun, Malak, Traya, Sith Emperor, Ruin, Kaan, Bane, Plagueis, Sidious, Krayt, none of them got some great famous ancestors. Only the emperor and krayt got a jedi/sith father.

But Jedi? Ulic's mother is a great Jedi, the Sunrider starts with a good jedi , they were going to make Bastilla's character Vima if not for the license. Not to say the Skywalkers.

3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Do you even know who Kyle Katarn is? Or Obi Wan Kenobi?

Kenobi was as much a hero as Anakin Skywalker was. Just cause the movies put him in the Lancer role as opposed to the protagonist doesn't make him any less the Jedi

BoromirsFan likes this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, Kyle is a important figure, but the most important guy is still Luke Skywalker, same for Obi Wan, the center is Anakin/Vader.

But as for Exar Kun, Malak, Traya, Sith Emperor, Ruin, Kaan, Bane, Plagueis, Sidious, Krayt, they are the most important Sith, the antagonist of one era, one massive war. Compare to them, Kyle and Obi Wan, especially Kyle is a bit minor.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    He was the second MAJOR Jedi after Luke

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    And we are talking about the most major one, otherwise we can add Aleema, Darth Sion, Darth Nihilus, Darth Malgus, Darth Maul and a bunch more.

Also it's more of a "overall situation", Sith can have their leader or their most important figure a person who does not have some great ancestry, why Jedi protagonists need such thing? Especially the Skywalker/Solo family.

7. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012

If you're removing Malek for his Jedi parents then shouldn't you remove Corran for his Jedi grandfather and force-sensitive father?

8. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I never want to see Pors Tonith ever again

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Pretty much this.

KJA is rightly despised but somehow Stackpole is given a pass on these boards, He also gets it from me for ruinning Tie fighters (and the great dog fights of the OT) to how he had written them in his Rogue squadron series. Least people forget if Han had not come back Vader would have killed Luke and the Empire would have won.

SiouxFan likes this.
  10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    True and probably Kyle Katarn, cause of his father Morgan Katarn. But honestly, that is more of giving a new character a Jedi parent as opposed to creating a LEGACY for the family from the primary character...

11. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    They don't. But the SAGA itself if the story of the Skywalker family... Most of the books fear to tread away from that family as it may scare away potential readers... However I would love to see Zekk or someone take up the senior Jedi role. Please I would love to get Avinoam Arelis fleshed out better or Sothais Saar... I love the NJO but hate how the under develop random mention Jedi... So I guess in a way I agree with you?

12. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    So, is Anakin Skywalker the only notable Force-user to have come from a completely Force-deplete family?

EDIT: To contribute to the thread topic. I'd like it if the following never appeared in EU again.

1. Palpatine (I don't want to see him again for post OT stuff; prequel and before is fine.)
    2. Clones (Clones are just a bad plot device. I don't like the clone madness thing either.)
    3. Star Wars-ized words for common stuff (The only thing that comes to mind right now is "topato". Come on, it's okay for a potato to be a potato.)
    4. Superweapons (I realize this is a Star Wars staple, but it's really unreasonable to have all these people building these monstrosities all the time. There can be a compelling conflict without the fate of the galaxy at stake.)

I wish more Jedi came in shades of gray like Vergere and Jolee Bindo instead of completely (and inevitably) falling to the Dark Side.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    No, but he is arguing that the only way Jedi are strong and become the Jedi (Prime in some way). He cites the Skywalkers and Shans. For some reason Yoda doesn't count as a not Legacy... Or Kenobi... But I see his point it is valid

14. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    -No more arbitrary nonsensical storytelling. Bring Anakin Solo back or give him a proper force ghost in the storyline. Granted, I am a bit behind in the last series - what with some of the big names writing books (Luceno, Zahn, etc.), but I figure he isn't coming back and I am still LIVID he has had no ghost. Fine with Jacen - who I also want back - he should not have a force ghost, but Anakin? What up?

-No more female heroes. Tired of them, they are written lamely for the most part and I end up disliking them irrationally. So until someone can write a beauty of a heroine like Mulan or something, then we don't need them at all. Jaina, Alana her mum and the "new and improved" Leia - all horrible.

-No more ridiculously fierce human enemies that randomly beat the strongest of jedi with cute tricks. The Jedi, the Sith - these are the strongest beings among the general human populace. Those beskar wearing Mando bums that could take out masterful Jedi by squeezing and breaking an ankle have got to go. Nothing is more stupid - nothing at all.

-No more wimpy Darth Vader tales. EVERYONE and their GRANDMOTHER can take Vader out with trickery or strength or force prowess. OS - he is the strongest active force sensitive in the gallaxy, even after his fall. He is very brilliant and among the best pilots in the world. Not some wimpy, mediocre Sith, who can be taken out by whimsical youths on a bender or some son of a gun who is weilding his saber for the 3rd time in his adult life. Vader is tricked, fooled, outsmarted, out-Forced, out bargained, out played - making the OS a FARCE. It is a TRAVESTY. He was supposed to be feared by the entire gallaxy - Yoda and Obi Wan hid from him for years. But you would never know it in some of these stories where he is taken out or simply "taken for an idiot" by whomever the author deems the pleasure. And that is okay because he was an evil son of a gun, but no - no it is not okay to make the hero of star wars a mealy mouthed wimp. Angry at many writers - many many writers. The only reason these upstart EU characters don't kill him is because they cannot as it would destroy the OS completely - else they would, believe me.

-On that front, no more of these Republic Jedi foreseeing young Anakin as a disaster to come. Not even Yoda saw it clearly, but I have read of many other run of the mill Jedi at the temple who sense that Anakin will bring the Jedi to doom - and one even left the order on account of it. Ridiculous. And Yoda had no clue? Okay then - of course one can rationalize that in the end Anakin balanced the force and that is what Yoda understood - but that is cheese because we all saw Return of the Jedi and on his deathbed, Yoda was clueless.

-No more cancelling awesome stories/comics before their time.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Amen about Vader. The Force Unleashed 2 is what got me on that band-wagon. Why should we fear him if he gets trashed every time he faces someone?

16. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    And this was the point when I stopped taking your post seriously...

MarasFire, V-2, BoromirsFan and 11 others like this.
  17. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Not sure if the best way to write better female characters is to stop writing female characters. Seems a tenuous connection at best.

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you."

"The boy is dangerous. They all sense it, why can't you?"

"The Chosen One the boy may be. Nevertheless, grave danger I fear in his training."

18. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Well I can respect the fact that you like the way they are written. However, I find that the authors are very, very dismissive of the women in their characterizations and quite often in their purpose. I don't want to go off topic, but as an example: I honestly do not see how anyone could read Tenal Ka's storyline and come away feeling that she was written as a respectable queen (or queen to be as it were). She has dumped her kid of with the very unreliable Solo's, who not only live in constant danger, but raised her ex - who became the Sith scorn of the gallaxy. Who would do that? Alana was safer with her dad while he was aboard the Anakin... That is just one example - I think that the authors could be much more thoughful in general when writing about the females in the star wars universe. I am not a fan of Jaina or the new Leia, I am not a fan of Alana either; I understand what they are trying to achieve, but to me it has been a grand fail to this point. I am 3 books in the main series behind - so maybe things have improved. Clone wars writers do an awesome job with the females in the gallaxy - it really isn't that hard.

I agree - that is why I said he did not see it 'clearly'. Others, of purported less talent and experience in the force were able to see it much more clearly. I do not think that is feasible, so I don't want to see more of that.

19. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    So what you're saying is that you want female heroes that are better written, not for them to be non-existent.

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    "No more poorly-written female heroes" would have been a better choice of words. :p

21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No more women, period. I'm tired of them being shoe-horned into the human race.

Zeta1127, Reaper63, K'Kruhk and 8 others like this.
  22. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    1- no more clone wars (let that era rest for a while, it´s been over exploited)
    2- no more overpowered force users (like the Mortis family or Abeloth, they´re more "Dragon Ball Z" like than Star Wars)
    3- no more TCW contradicting the EU, please, stop doing that, seriously
    4- no more big 3 saving the galaxy, i guess that saving the galaxy every year must be very stressing
    5- no more stories for little kids (like the TV series and movies of the Ewoks, or the latest arc of TCW)
    6- no more Obi Wan/Anakin adventures, there´s a galaxy full of jedis, and some of them are really badass, lets show their adventures too.
    7- no more OT and PT based characters in other eras, like Vandar Tokare (Yoda), T3-M4 (R2-D2), Jace Malcom (Cody), Sith War Droid Mark I (Droideka) or Malgus (unmasked Vader).

23. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Can we just get Karpyshyn to write every female character from now on? I feel like this would solve most problems.

Esg likes this.
  24. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    :p

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Malgus looks like Vader yes, but he's a totally different character.

Esg likes this.