main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What kind of benefits do you get from your job and

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Right to Work laws wouldn't keep you from getting job benefits or time off, they outlaw requiring employees to join a union when they work in a workplace with a union.

To answer epic's question: US law doesn't standardize how many paid or unpaid holidays employees get per year. Those are done at the employer's discretion. Where I work, employees get 25 days of paid time off per year. This time is to cover both vacation and sick days. Other jobs I have had will give an employee a set amount of vacation and flex time per week (usually more vacation than flex) which the employee banks and can use whenever they like as long as they give advance notice. Most holidays (Christmas, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, MLK Day, 4th of July, etc) are paid, but those are also left to the discretion of the employer. My current job recognizes MLK Day as a holiday and we have it off but my last job did not recognize it as a holiday and it was treated as any other work day.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't like her very much. :p

And lol @ the skyrocketing test scores of some schools that mysteriously dropped a lot when more test security measures were put into place. Sure there wasn't cheating. No, not at all.

3. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    She's a control freak, absolutely. Those kinds of gains on the CAS are impossible. That should have been an indicator. Funny thing is that Frontline interviewed one of my co-workers at my current school and you can see my department in the shot of Rhee announcing the test scores to all the teachers (they were in the green shirts).

4. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Farmer

Benefits: free food, awesome family-style lunches in the summer.
    Occasional paid holidays (lol)
    Practically living outdoors
    Attracts all the hotties

Negatives:

Winter is ****ing long.

mrsvos likes this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Benefits: Financial Counseling and Accounting Assistance
    Downsides: Responsibility for $14,000 revolving credit line; She decided she was a lesbian

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    epic: Yeah, it's pretty rare to get that many paid days leave in the US. I know some nonprofits give their employees very generous leave packages, but that's supposed to be compensation for the relatively low salary.

I get 20 vacation days per year plus 10 days of federal holidays... but any sick days I take come out of the same pool as my vacation time, so when I get sick I try very hard to soldier through the workday and seek solace in coughing on as many obnoxious coworkers as possible.

7. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Which tickets, and how is this phrased in your employment contract?

Master_Jacen and jp-30 like this.
  8. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    thanks for this. i really liked her - it's too bad things didn't work out.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Benefits:
    Good salary
    4 weeks annual leave, 2 weeks personal leave (compassionate + sick), and public holidays, plus they don't care much if you let this accrue
    Discounted gym memberships, car leases, etc
    Good coworkers
    Interesting job

Downsides:
    I have to work in an office all day. Working on that though.

10. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Benefits:
    Half-priced food
    I have off on all Sundays and holidays
    They work with my schedule
    Everyone besides my nemesis is easy to work with
    Negatives:
    I make $7.50 an hour which is $0.25 above Wisconsin's minimum wage.
    It is really good fast food which can make you fat
    Evil customers.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No sales tax, free health care for myself and almost wholly free for my wife (costs 12 dollars a month for 60% coverage of her dental costs), 30 days paid vacation a year with an option for more, all federal holidays off and typically 4-days weekends for them, and rent assistance.

12. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I get free tickets to the zoo and get to see killer whales all day?

DarthBoba likes this.
  13. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Nepotism is awesome. During home games at WVU, my uncle pays me 10 dollars an hour to be a security guard at Sheetz so people don't steal beer

14. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I love my 4 weeks of vacation a year. I'd hate to lose it but, Aytee-Aytee...they announced the opening of The Bass Pro shop in my town. Should I apply? I'm so nervous about changing jobs, but the bookstore's becoming a joke.

15. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Jedi Master

Benefits: free room and board on best planet in the universe, get to wear robes 24/7, lots of traveling.

Negatives: still a virgin, constantly micromanaged by a green midget, STILL A VIRGIN!!!!

PrincessKenobi likes this.
  16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Project Implementation Manager

Benefits:
    Good salary, with extra money for working evening and night hours (one of the reasons why I prefer working US hours [face_money_eyes])
    100% paid sick leave (the standard in Slovakia is 55% of your salary when you're on sick leave more than 4 days)
    Life insurance
    Lunch vouchers in higher value than the minimum set by Labour Code
    Flexible working hours
    Possibility to work from home occasionally
    Various discounts (food delivery, cinemas, shops, etc.)
    Good colleagues

I also have 20 days of paid vacation per year (not counting sick leave, doctor visits, etc.), but that's not really a job benefit, as that's a standard set by our Labour Code (this is the point where I LOL at all the Americans who don't have paid leave guaranteed and can only get it as an "extra benefit" at their employer's discretion).

Negatives:
    Have to work on our public holidays when there's a normal working day in the US. [face_frustrated] But we're usually allowed to work from home then, and get either overtime extra salary or take a "replacement" vacation some other day.

17. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    You can't just post you pros and cons without taking a multiple shots at Americans? You must have some complex.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  18. mrsvos

Nov 18, 2005
    At the bookstore I'm free to be as weird as I want to be. I'd hate to have to work somewhere and pretend to be someone I'm not. At Bass Pro shop, some yahoo customer would probably make fun of me even though I would likely know more about fishing and the outdoors than they would.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I meant it only as a friendly dig, nothing serious. :p If I had a problem with Americans, I wouldn't be working for a US company. :p But I enjoy working there.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Remembered a disadvantage to my job: I can't be weird and I can't swear.

Bass Pro Shops disadvantage: stink bait.

21. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Since her husband is a fisherman perhaps bait stink is an advantage. :p

22. mrsvos

Nov 18, 2005
    What's yer flavor?[face_batting]

23. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yes, union busting tends to keep job benefits for unskilled work in the crapper. employers only offer exactly what's needed to keep their business running. if workers cant unionize to put the employer's ass on blast when needed, they can be replaced piecemeal and employers have no reason to offer good benefits.

i feel like i shouldn't have to explain this really obvious stuff to anyone who's ever had a real job. welcome to the real world i guess?

another fun thing about "right to work" is the employer doesnt have to give a reason for firing you. so if you even try to get together and ask for better benefits... your ass is getting fired. the better name would be "right to get fired for no reason" laws

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Also, even when a union is present in a right-to-work state, the union is usually grossly underfunded and therefore can't do an adequate job of representing workers.

There are unionized workplaces in North Carolina but the unions don't have nearly the power at the negotiating table as they do in closed-shop states.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Finally, "right to work" does not make it legal to have a mix of both union and non-union employees. That's already available everywhere. It specifically makes it illegal for companies to voluntarily enter into an exclusive contract with a union. Which seems a bit like passing a law that prevents Mario from being a Nintendo-exclusive game franchise.