main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What kind of benefits do you get from your job and

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jan 11, 2013.

1. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    ...I don't think you understand what 100% means.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I think the more correct assumption is that she is just not in Slovakia right now?

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Overall it's worth it. Yesterday was just a crap day, but that happens at any job. :)

4. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Except I'm pretty sure she is in Slovakia right now? Unless she's saying she gets better than the standard.

5. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    She works for a American company and therefore gets 100% of her salary when sick instead of the 55% most people in her country get.

6. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Ahhhh. Okay.

7. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I am wondering if part of your pay increases has more to do with personality then anything else? I mean a more forceful personality has to make more then the submissive regardless of gender.

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    what where who...?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Pros: They give me money!

Cons: They expect me to do things for that money.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What he means is that he can leave comedy shows before they're concluded.

11. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    If I get pulled over and its not too bad of a speeding offense they will let you off depending on the town. If I have a light out they tell me just fix it. Basically I get one extra chance before getting a ticket unless its really bad like agressive driving, excessive speeding, dwi. I need my license to work so cops know this so they will be nice the first time and just give you a warning. Although, heaven forbid you get pulled over by a cop who had a bad experience at your dealership. Then start praying. Cause you aint getting any warning just a ticket if you are lucky. I need my uniform or a hat with the name on it to get any leeway.

12. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Non-union employers have just as much a reason as employers of unionized employees do to offer decent benefits to their employees. If I have a job at a place where the pay, benefits, and work environment is lousy then I vote with my feet and go get a job elsewhere where the pay, benefits and environment is better. It is in every employer's interest to do this and most non-union employers have done this. The place where I work has free medical/dental insurance, 401k, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, a generous amount of paid time off, private rooms for nursing mothers, an on site fitness center, 100% compensation for parking costs, free bus passes, and a bunch more that I don't recall of the top of my head which are offered to all employees. These benefits are offered so that they can retain their employees and keep them happy. You'll find that many non-union jobs offer just as many, if not more, benefits than most union jobs do. My workplace hasn't unionized as things are fine and we're happy with the work we do and the compensation we get. Granted, not every place is like this, but having been in just such a job last year which I didn't like, I voted with my feet and went to my current job where my skills are needed and I am compensated accordingly.

Also, right to work also does not mean that an employee can be fired without reason. That is at will employment, something which is the norm for almost all non-union or non-contractual jobs. The papers one signs when they take on a job with at-will employment state this in very clear terms so that there is no misunderstanding by the person signing them. Most places will give some sort of reason if they have to fire or layoff an employee but at-will employment does not legally bind them to doing such.

13. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Tutor for private company.

Positives- it's just been Christmas and our centre received over 20 boxes/tins of biscuits and chocolates from parents grateful that we take their children off their hands for an extra 3 hours a week throughout the year. 5 days out of 7 earliest shift starts at 3pm so lie in ftw. Company paid half the bill for our Christmas meal.
    Negative- Hours are pretty late during weekday term time cause it's an after school thing. 4 hours shifting between standing and kneeling does in knees.

14. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Dear god, the Senate crowd is taking over my thread. Please, whatever you do, don't turn this into the gun control thread.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Not quite. In Slovakia, when you are on a sick leave more than 4 days, you get 55% of your salary - from the state (the money comes from the social+health+unemployment insurance that you pay, per Labour Code, from your monthly salary). Some employers may opt to give their employees something extra in these cases, as a benefit, to compensate for the significant drop in income. My employer pays me the other 45%, thus "topping it up", so to speak, so for instance if I have a car accident and end up in a hospital for 2 weeks, I'll still get 100% of my salary. That's what I meant, I'm sorry I wasn't very clear.

DarthBoba likes this.