main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2013 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Over the last 2 yrs, I've been making a point of trying to become more fit. Not for looks or what-have-you (nothing can help me there) but because I hate being unable to do the things I want to do. I've found my greatest success comes from setting goals and having at least one person around to hold me accountable. Of course, I've got the good 'ole Navy that will only tolerate so much laziness.

Anyway, I figured it wouldn't be too terrible to have a thread based on building each other up. I know we're 12 days into 2013 already, but that's all the more reason to get started now.

In 2011, I quit smoking (ish. I still use electronic cigarettes but I'm good with that).
    2012 I lost 30 lbs

For 2013, my goal is simple. Run or walk 365 miles. That's an average of 1 mile a day every day. Should be easy enough but will require me to stick to it all year.

Share your goals and your progress!

2. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Congrats on losing 30 lbs!!

My goals are to drop 10 lbs and exercise at least 3 times a week.I'm not fat,but I never exercise.So far I've dropped 2lbs since Christmas simply because my mom started a diet.

Souderwan likes this.
  3. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks. Great goal. Good luck!

I'm definitely a fatty, even with the 30 lbs dropped. But I figure this new goal will keep me active and i won't obsess about a scale.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Awesome idea, Brian! My goal for 2013 is to drop 2 pants sizes. I dislike scales and if I'm working out more I am gaining muscle so I'm not making a weight goal I'm making a clothing goal. I have already lost weight since I moved to VA and part of that is I think the doctors have finally got me on the right meds to get my internal body issues under control so I can lose weight.

So far I am riding 2 days a week and taking the dog for a walk or using the elliptical on its weight loss setting on the days I don't ride.

Souderwan likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is mine as well. I've been exercising 3-4 times a week for a couple of years now and I've managed to keep off the 20 pounds I lost, but I'd still like to lose 10 more. I'd like to add a new form of exercise as well, maybe getting back into swimming.

I also have my "list of places I want to hike before I die," which I want to tackle this year, but that's as much for fun as for exercise.

LifeInTechnicolor and Souderwan like this.
  6. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    My goal this year is to hit the gym three times a week, and play golf or tennis at least twice a week.

So far, so good!

Brian, glad to hear you've lost some weight. Keep it up man, I'm sure you feel better already!

Souderwan likes this.
  7. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Where do you get the time?

As for training, start small if you are normally a quitter, keep it achievable.

99% of people could run 5km after 8 weeks of training twice a week, with each session lasting no more than an hour.

That is some ego boost and can spur you on massively, so sign up for a run in your area giving you plenty of time for prep. Do it with a friend / relative or raise money for charity for more incentive.

Your core will tone up loads too, which is a benefit for anyone.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Brian, you are far from a "fatty." [face_hug]

My goal is modest: get down to a healthy BMI.

That means losing a triple digit number of pounds.

I actually went on a regulated dieting plan that focusing far more on relearning how to eat and how to eat healthy. I've lost 15 pounds in 1 & 1/2 weeks, so I'd say its working.

9. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    To get outside! (5 times a week is not enough!)

Souderwan likes this.
  10. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    Be able to bench 135 lbs and squat 200 lbs by the end of the year.

Souderwan likes this.
  11. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Drop 7-10 pounds by my trip to the Europe (UK and France). I have 4 months so we will see if it happens. But I guess it isn't the best plan because I am only doing it because I know I will shamelessly eat whatever I want when we hit the cafes in Paris.

Souderwan likes this.
  12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Good thread.

I want to run a half marathon this month... it's a goal I came up with in November for my holiday vacation.
    The combination of watching my daughter during her school break and a nasty stomach virus getting me and my son scuttled those plans.

Souderwan likes this.
  13. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    No moar ramen!!

edit: Literally out the door to buy ramen. Hope the rest of you have better luck :D

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I want to up my regular run to 4 miles. Also it would be nice if I could do 5 chin-ups at a time.

Souderwan and MASTERPRENN like this.
  15. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    I'd like to be able to run 10km again

Souderwan likes this.
  16. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks, Rachel. That's very sweet. But my BMI chart, my doctor, the Navy, and the poor unfortunate women who have seen me with my shirt off, might beg to differ. :p

On the plus side, I have dropped 4 inches off my pants size from my peak (apogee?).

Update on my goal. Today I knocked out a 5k on the treadmill. It was relatively slow compared to real runners (35 mins), and I did feel like I was going to die pretty much the whole time, but if I can keep this up, I'll be way happy.

Edit: Also, I'm at 14 miles for the year so I'm ahead.

ma_petite likes this.
  17. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I am making nachos today and decided it is too warm to work out, so maybe the fitness goals will wait until next week. :p

18. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    1: Cut down smoking (I've started on e-cigs which seem to hit the spot)
    2: Sort my shoulder out (it's been injured for years, I reckon it needs a staple or something)
    3: Go clubbing more often (it seems to sort my waistline out)

19. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Probably eat healthier. One one hand, I should eat healthier. On the other hand, that gets really depressing.

Also, Prenn, you've picked far too late a time to mention you play tennis

20. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Just do as many as you can and then do as many negative chin ups as you can. You'll be able to do 5 full ones in no time. When you can do about 10 chin ups, start doing pull ups as well.

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Gain 10 lbs so i can look normal.

It has become harder ever since i stopped eating fast food.

22. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

You have to eat fast food, that was the only way I did it. Get ye to an in n out. Erm, with both connotations actually.

Souderwan and MASTERPRENN like this.
  23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I want to be able to catch up to and bring down a gazelle.

V-2 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  24. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    365 miles for the year seems like a good goal! I might steal that from you.

I'm training for a 5K in March, and I'd like to be able to run the whole thing without walking. I was also working on my intervals last year before I stopped working out, and I'd gotten up to doing 8 intervals at a 7.0 (with a few 8.0's sprinkled in on a good day). I'd like to work up to that again, and then hopefully up to 8 intervals at 8.0. And for arbitrary running goals, I'd like to finish both Zombies Run! and their 5K program, I got them both with some iTunes store credit, but I'm only a few missions into the first one.

Also I'm gonna start 100 Pushups again. Probably won't make it all the way through, but I saw progress really fast last time and I liked that. (And it's depressing now that I can't do what I could a few months ago). I'd like to make it up to 30 without stopping, at least. (Full pushups, to the ground, not on my knees.)

Miana Kenobi and Souderwan like this.
  25. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    That's some impressive stuff to work on, Dani! When I do intervals, I usually only do 6 intervals at 8 (30 high, 60 low). I've never tried doing more than 6 intervals. When I do 60/60 runs, I can't do more than 7. It sucks having short legs. :p

I'm not familiar with 100 Pushups (other than the obvious). Is that a program you tried. I did Turbulence training last year and that helped me shed the 30 lbs. I just can't do it consistently enough, which is kind of pathetic, really.

Good luck! You're gonna have a great year!

Edit: And please take the goal! It'd make me happy if someone else ran with it too.