main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Authors/Comic book writers

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by General Immodet, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    People just do not realize authors such as Anderson could not know what was goint to happen in the Prequel Trilogy. They are not the ones to blame.
    Anderson helped the shape the EU as we know it today.
    Apart from the novels he wrote, he also wrote Tales of the Jedi.
    He introduced Kyp Durron, Admiral Daala, the Sith Wars, Exar Kun, Ulic Qel-Droma...

2. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I remember KJA polarizing the EU community back in '99, so really during the PT.

3. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Sometimes I feel like SW is one big mess. Still, I think we should respect all SW material that has been produced so far.
    Well, TCW does not count because its makers seem to contradict other sources on purpose.

Did Zahn get much critique as well during the release of the PT?

4. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    [​IMG]

Zahn has generally gotten a good reception. I think people complain about how Karrde is too powerful (and some people really hate ysalamiri) but overall, he's well-liked.

5. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It's become a running gag that hiring Zuckuss and 4-LOM is essentially scraping the bottom of the bounty hunter barrel. That's not right. Granted, they didn't get Han, but their joint careers weren't dismal. They had success (most of it "off-camera" and merely touched upon in sources), they're competent, so I don't understand the lack of respect that they get. It would be nice to see them in more books. In comics, the two were handled relatively well. In the Bounty Hunter Wars, 4-LOM was handled well, but poor Zuckuss was not. He gets less respect than 4-LOM. :(

...Are those humpbacked whales in the background of that TGoDV cover?

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Mon Cal Whaladons or Dac Whaladons I suppose, or something like that.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    At first glance, all I could think of was "Captain! There be whales here!"

8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Unitl proven otherwise all unknown comic book writers are Randy Stradley. :p

General Immodet likes this.
  9. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Yea I could live without Anderson.

10. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Why so?

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    KJA simply isn't very highly regarded around these parts, thanks to things like his superweapon obsession. I don't have a problem with him, but then again I didn't really have a problem with anyone until the post-NJO and TCW.

12. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I completely agree. I like every SW work ever made, but I do not like TCW and some post-NJO storylines as well.

The only SW book I ever stopped reading was Children of the Force. I really did not like the way it was written.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't really have too much of a problem with KJA. His prose tends to get rambling and circles in on itself (likes ships colliding, but one explodes right before it hits, so it doesn't hit it), and this isn't just his SW work that has this issue. But otherwise, I don't mind him.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy was the first EU books I ever read so I have a soft spot for it. I can get into his books easily.

15. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Let us discuss some other things concerning writers...
    -) Did you ever stop reading a SW book/comic?
    I stopped reading Children of the Jedi. I didn't like the way it was written. Its story was also pretty ankward.
    -) Which character has become underrated in your point of view.
    For example, Zuckuss... (as was previously mentioned)
    -) Which writing style do you prefer? Zahn's, Stackpole's, Anderson's...

16. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    1. No, but I probably should have for some books in NJO.
    2. Mirax and her father Booster, but I realize they're unlikely to get any more "air time" in the SW universe
    3. I think Stackpole's writing style has been imprinted into my brain. Stuff he writes reads like water for me (I have dyslexia, so this isn't a complaint). That said, I really enjoy Shane Dix/Sean Williams.

Didn't you say you were in Belgium or something? Could it be the translation for CotJ wasn't good?

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I was reading the Yavin Vassilika in the Boba Fett Omnibus and while the art was quite funky, it was growing on me

TrakNar likes this.
  18. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    We are really not too far removed from having had them appear. I'm sure they will be back.

19. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Hrm, maybe I need to catch up on EU. So far Booster is running around the Errant Venture trucking Jedi kids around while Mirax is, um, I have no clue. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if Booster is dead in the Mercy Kill era. He is getting up there in age.

20. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    They were both in Vortex, which was a few books back but still in that 40+ABY era.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I couldn't finish slogging my way through Rogue Planet. That's the only book I intentionally stopped reading. There are a few books that I started reading and haven't finished (for whatever reason), but that's the only one I intentionally stopped reading because I simply did not like the book.

And I could go on and on about Zuckuss, but I won't. :p

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm a real fan of the story but not of the art. Just doesn't do much for me.

23. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I agree. The story was pretty good, but the art was bad. It looked cartoon-ish.

24. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    That might be possible... COTJ was one of the only SW novels ever translated into Dutch. So, it is possible the English version was better.
    Nowadays, they have stopped translating SW novels in Dutch, so I read them in English. I read Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy both in English and in Dutch. :)

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It looked cartoonish because it is cartoonish. :p

Personally, I liked it. But, then again, I like stylized art. Some people don't like the Spumco art style (think Ren & Stimpy), but I love that style because it's just so deranged. If given the choice between a comic style that looks like other comic styles or a style that's a bit off-the-wall, I'll go with the latter.

However, that does not give Scott Hepburn a free pass by any stretch of the imagination. His art is stylized, but its style is not appealing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.