main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Yeah. Hammond didn't want any of his investments injured, so much so that he outright refused to kill a Dilophosaurus when Wu suggested they kill one to discover where the venom glands were and have them surgically removed from the other animals.

All Muldoon was allowed was the RPG launcher (IIRC he pressured Hammond into getting it, and Hammond hated him ever since)....and then he was quite shocked to find that someone stocked a small arsenal of MORO-12 nerve gas grenades without telling him.

Yes, but no children or PETA-esque scientists.

DarthBoba likes this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah Muldoon had to threaten to quit and leak the existence of the island to the press to get the rocket launchers.

3. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Yet they never found out where the gas grenades came from....

4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I just chalk that up to Muldoon's long-lost adoptive brother Munroe, from Congo. :p

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The one incontrovertible fact is that, book or movie either one, Muldoon is a total badass.

6. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I like book Muldoon rather more.

Still-I wonder what it is with Crichton and white hunter characters? I've already named two of his.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's kind of interesting that The Lost World novel didn't really have a white hunter character. But then they put one in the movie.

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Thorne kind of plays that role in TLW-the super-practical everyman dude. But yeah...always thought Roland was Spielberg's obvious nod to book Muldoon.

Edit: Not sure, but movie Muldoon turned out to be alive in those JP comics didn't he?

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    He did. I only read a couple of them and it was waaaay back there when they first came out. And I don't recall how they explained his survival, but he was indeed alive.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It's simple. Muldoon is actually a T1000. :p

Apparently the comics never bothered explaining it:

So, yeah. Terminator. :p

11. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Unlike TLWJP's Peter Ludlow who survived being gnawed by baby rex....only to look like Mason Verger.
    [​IMG]
    Jurassic Park: Redemption #4

EDIT -- Or perhaps Muldoon is a direct descendant of the plague villager from Monty Python and the Holy Grail....

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Kind of glad I never really got into the comics.

13. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't wait for IV!

14. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    You are correct, though it's been forever since I've read it. Right before he died, I read a blurb about Michael Crichton defending the actions of the Dum-dum administration (involving the invasion of Iraq) and I stopped reading his books. That was immature of me, and I still need to read JP again, as well as Timeline and those others that he published before he kicked off. There was one called "Nano" or something? Whatever.

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That was Prey, which I didn't read. Just seemed a little too out there. Timeline rocks though.

16. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Likewise. But the prequel comics were a bit fun though.

Oh and another thing Jurassic Park 4 needs.....MARTY GUITIERREZ. He was in both novels, and was practically the guy who got the protagonists to the island to begin with (by sending Grant the half-eaten compy he found in Costa Rica, and by taking Levine to the washed up Carno)

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I forgot about him. IIRC Sarah in TLW was supposed to be related to Dr. Harding from the first book, too. I think his daughter?

18. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Badass Novel Sarah was.

Inept Movie/Videogame Sarah....I think she is, due to the magic of retconning.

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I suppose I should clarify that when I say 'TLW' it's probably the novel I'm talking about. :p

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, they butchered her character in the translation from book to screen. She was smart, tough, resilient, etc, in the book. In the movie, she's a naturalist who thinks it would be fun to invade a dinosaur's nest to play with the eggs and then later kidnaps a baby T. Rex and takes it back to the group's home base.

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Eddie brought it back in the book didn't he?

Oh well. The raptors dealt with that particular transgression.

22. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Eddie was also only like 19-20 years old and only got brought to the island because he was Thorne's last employee who hadn't clocked out yet. :p

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    True. Still :p

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I still can't believe they cut Thorne and Levine, my two favorite characters from the novel, completely out of the movie.

25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I find fault with it for one major reason. The original Jurassic Park was a classic entry into the "man vs Nature" genre. Like all the best tales of that sort, it understood that it was not merely the risk to the protagonists' lives that viewers found compelling. What stayed with me even more than a T-Rex roaring triumphantly as a torn banner fluttered down to its feet was the image of a woman throwing herself against the ribcage of a sick Triceratops, breathing in time with something she'd studied all her life and never hoped to actually see. I remember the giddy half-starved little boy jumping back in fear as he gets snot blown all over him, then smiling as he realized that's all that happened. There was always a sense of grandeur and wonderment. Where there was terror, it was not because the dinosaurs had any malevolent regard for the humans that were they. They were simply another part of the landscape. The true terror was that, like every other part of the natural world, it was unyielding and uncaring, and could as easily save or grind over top them without ever registering a single thought about it. It made for the stuff of real adventure.

By contrast, the clipped pace of JPIII seems to have decided "man vs Nature" was the billing of WWF fight, and so we are treated to loud, obnoxious violence, that was over-promoted, painfully transparent in its staging, and not in the least bit interesting to watch. If I just wanted to watch humans scamper around in fights with magical fantasy animals, I probably could go see that John Carter of Mars or something. It was outrageous.

CT-867-5309 likes this.