main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom, Dominion & Camp Cretaceous

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthBoba, Jun 18, 2011.

1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    lol, jabba...you know it's Grant that leans on the Triceratops, and Lex that gets sneezed on, right? :p

But yeah, I'd say that sums up JP3's problems well.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't contest that. JPIII is nowhere near the great film that JP is. I don't disagree with you. JP is a great movie, charged with deep emotion. JPIII is a thrilling action flick. For what it is, I find JPIII enjoyable. It can't touch the original in anyway, though. You're definitely right about that.

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Eh. Shifting character attributes in order to be concise.

Movie Gennaro = Book Ed Regis
    Movie Ludlow = Book Hammond
    Movie Sarah = Book Levine
    Movie Eddie = Book Thorne
    Movie Random Black Dude That I Swear Is Never In The Group Until The Raptor Scene = Book Howard King

EDIT -- By the way, both Gennaro and Thorne in the novels were described as both being muscular prize-fighter types.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    LOL

And for all its flaws, I will take JPIII over TLWJP any day.

DarthBoba likes this.
  4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Precisely. Part of the reason I enjoyed JPIII so much, I think, is because it seemed to me to be a huge improvement over the dire, mostly unenjoyable TLW.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I actually don't have many distinct memories of TLW, except the Dominique Dawes stand-in character and the stupidity of the whole T-Rex in Los Angeles thing. But I mean, cut off the last 30 minutes of the movie and it would have been an acceptably forgettable film.

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego, not LA. Jeez, Wocky.

7. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I claim to love the series, not to have studied it deeply. :p

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Then what are you doing on the internet? :p

DarthBoba likes this.
  9. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    So true.

I hope Joe Johnston directs JPIV, Spielberg has already said he's his go to guy to direct it.

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think i am one of the only people who likes TLW.

11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I liked TLW too!

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Which makes zero sense, you have a big theme park packed with large dangerous animals and you have a few guards and one experienced ranger?

What was needed was the kind of force that we saw in Lost World and even they struggled with Site B.

Lost World is OK, better than JP3 anyway

13. Campy Campelton

Campy Campelton Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2013
    So many other great franchises out there. Why this?

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I have to say, the last two or three minutes of JPIII was quite good. When they talked about finally leaving the beasts alone, it was like they decided to tear down the fourth wall and issue a giant apology. As if they were just begging our forgiveness for all the stupid rampages through downtown and talking velociraptors and tokenist characters and the entirety of the movie we had just seen. They just, for once, let us see the animals and begged our forgiveness and promised not to perturb them anymore.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I hope we don't get more silly Carnivore Smackdown type fights, though it would be cool to see something like a Stegosaurus stand up against Allosaurus or whatever big nasty they have in the movie. That is much more believable than the idea of two big carnivores having a deathmatch (in all likelihood, T-Rex would have backed down and retreated from a larger predator like Spinosaurus rather than fight but had they fought Rex's epic bite force - the strongest in all of nature on land - would have crushed that fish-eater's head/neck like it was a ricecake).

Some marine reptiles would be cool to see, maybe a huge underwater hidden attraction prototype that was abandoned but still houses Predator X

DarthBoba likes this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ankylosaurus should be featured somehow, and maybe some healthy Triceratops.

As for carnivores, I'd like to see some more compies, but I really want to see Dilophosaurus again!

17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    we need the T-Rex also

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Hammond was an idiot? :p

19. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Definitely int eh book. In the movie he was an "idealist" or something sympathetic. In the book, he was just a fool. And he met a fool's end.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    He was actively villainous in the book, TBH. Just about every gripe the people running the park-Muldoon, Nedry, Wu, Regis, Gennaro, and Arnold to an extent-they pretty much blamed Hammond for all of them IIRC.

21. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    In the book, Muldoon and the core staff originally didn't worry about the power failure, because the dinos had brushed against the fences numerous times already, and had learned to stay away from them.

Also, Nedry mentioned this point in his squabble with Hammond. "You can run this entire island from this room with minimal staff for up to three days. You think that kind of automation is easy? Or cheap?"

Also, there were a LOT more people on the island, but since they were not major characters with only one or two lines ("Be thankful for that fence, senor"), they don't really get a mention until the end when Muldoon tells Grant that the Costa Rica helicopters "already took Harding and the rest" while they were being evacuated.

22. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Yep. Nedry was a mistake.
    Wu was too concerned with improving the dinosaurs.
    Arnold was past his prime and ready for retirement.
    Regis was a poor choice.
    Muldoon was a drunk. (though he never actually acted drunk, and was the clearest thinker of the JP core staff. I think Hammond was still just pissed over the rocket launcher)

John "Everyone's Fault But Mine" Hammond.

DarthBoba likes this.
  23. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    That what you thought was a Dilophosaurus was merely an amusement park attraction. The real Dilophosaurus was movie-velociraptor-sized, didn't have the frill and didn't spit poison. I don't want to see it, because it reminds me that I'm not seeing dinosaurs when I look at Jurassic Park. I'm seeing some genetic mutants that have super intelligence or poison glands or can't see still objects and knock themselves unconscious in a forest. In Jaws having a really unrealistic shark worked because it made the whole thing work and gave it a mystery side, but when I'm promised dinosaurs I want dinosaurs, especially because I'm sure that the creatures showed in JP4 will dominate the movie-dinosaur market for the next years.

I'm not opposed to some Velociraptor-escaping fun in the climax, though. They could even be the mutants who possibly have their own city now. But it would be cool if they showed some feathered turkey-sized ones to show that they first made some as natural-looking as possible, but then changed the producing process to make them better for the audience.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, nothing would grab an audience like "feathered turkey-size" raptors.

DarthBoba and soitscometothis like this.
  25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Utahraptor or Deinonychus could easily take the place of Velociraptor (I believe the latter is what they are meant to be anyway, Spielberg & co just got the name wrong).