main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Carrie bid farewell to Leia in an open letter.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lando's Little Maneuver, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    It sounds to me like she's trying to convince the fans that she is nothing like the character she played and never will be. The tone of the letter is all Carrie, though. It fits her level of sarcasm to a tee.

As to whether or not she'll be in Episode 7, I doubt it. While it would be nice to see the Leia of the novels make an appearance as a full-fledged Jedi still cracking jokes with Han, it's not going to happen. It would take something miraculous for Fisher to make a full comeback to be Leia. It's just not realistic. Since recasting would be a travesty, Leia's not coming back. We can wish all we want, but that won't change anything. As a hologram with her younger voice dubbed in, maybe, but nothing beyond that. (maybe in E7 they'll say Leia died a long time ago and Han has subsequently lost contact with Luke, and Luke has to find him again in order to get some help fighting whatever new villain there is)

If anyone's coming back, it'll be Hamill as Luke. He still embraces the character fully (his Twitter account shows him still tickled about being able to buy foodstuffs with his face on them) and, I beleive, could jump right back into the role without much trouble.

KevinM1 and kainee like this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I didn't read it as such. I read it as someone lamenting on her old screen self vs her real current self.

Letter deals mainly with the concept of vanity(Dorian Grey?). Old Leia would not be young Leia so it doesn't really matter. In fact, such a large period has past, it could be viewed as an entirely different character.

I will say that both Han and Leia will probably bite it in the first film. I don't see either making it out alive by the end of it.

4. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Just sounds like she's saying she doesn't want to beat a dead horse and do the Leia thing again. Cool. Her choice. Maybe she's addressing that letter to a bunch of SW fans who have been harping on her needing to lose weight or worrying she's too old.

So, take that, fanboys!

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Carrie Fisher hates the role of Leia and truly wishes she never took the part. When she says "George Lucas ruined my life", she's having a laugh, but not really. She's not kidding, she's pretending she is. She may be joking on the outside, but it's real on the inside.

6. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    The style and tone is pretty classic Carrie Fisher. I wouldn't read too much into it one way or another.

7. Panakas_Dawg

Jul 29, 2004
    There's another "character study" on the website, by Cassandra Peterson ("Elvira"). I think it's just some series of articles where some performer writes an open letter to their famous character and exorcises demons. Anyway, who really cares? She's in? Good. She's not? Good. Leia is not going to be the deal-breaker.

8. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    It just reads as a comical and sobering dialogue between fictional woman and real counterpart, nothing more.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    What WOULD be a deal-breaker? I'm wracking my brains, but I can't think of much that would kill my interest in the ST. I'd like the big 3 back, but if it doesn't happen I'll get over it.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Or maybe she just got the first draft and Leia dies by page 20!

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  11. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Carrie Fisher is a lady and a profound writer. She is also bat **** crazy and what she says is often just that. I can't take alot of what she says at face value anymore. She seems to just say what comes to her mind even if she doesn't mean it or even if it's something she thought of that she shouldn't say...

I think she is just a muser and wrote whatever was in her mind at the time honestly. I don't honestly think that she spends alot of time thinking of what she should say. From the recent interviews I've seen she only thinks when she says something inappropriate or risque.

BonhillBhoy likes this.
  12. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    the pessimist in me reads that the role is going to be recast and she hasn't been asked back..

13. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I sometimes like to think that Leia refused Jedi training and one day, after the galaxy had been made stable and peace had been fully achieved, she climbed on board the Millennium Falcon and blasted off into the unknown with Han.

Thinking about Leia, she's probably the most damaged character in the OT. She never really had a chance to grieve for Alderaan. She had to be strong. She had to be the symbol for the rebels and keep driving them forward. After the destruction of the second Death Star and the death of the Emperor, with the restoration of the Republic imminent, I wonder if that's when she would finally break down and let herself feel the despair she couldn't allow herself to feel because of her responsibilities.

I've seen people talk about how Carrie Fisher doesn't look like the vision of grace that Princess Leia was anymore. But you could argue that how Fisher looks now (and she doesn't look bad at all), someone who has lived an eventful life, is exactly how Leia would look nearly four decades later. All of the fighting and the tragedy has to catch up with Leia eventually, right?

As far as Fisher's letter goes, you can look at it a number of ways. Perhaps Fisher is sick of Leia. Or maybe she doesn't feel that she lives up to Leia and would rather that the lasting image of Leia be of the young, feisty princess, which is understandable. I'd certainly like to see her come back. I wouldn't like to see them recast the role. But if Leia isn't in the film, so be it.

Padme501st and kainee like this.
  14. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    She's out, good. We don't need her or Ford or Hamil.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  15. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I don't see it as any "farewell" and the article itself calls it "making peace".

I think her writing is maybe too cerebral for simple posts to sum up. If I can I would point to this quote:

It's mainly her coming to terms with the fact that if she were to be Leia once more it wouldn't be the same, young Leia that's been our only image of the Princess for three decades. If she's saying "farewell" it's to the ever-youthful Leia (and could be saying "hello" to the new older Leia).

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't quite know what she is saying here, but I don't get humor out of this as others seem to. It seems kind of morbid and depressing to me. I don't know what to make of it. I do hope it doesn't mean she isn't doing the movie.

17. Panakas_Dawg

Jul 29, 2004
    That's just it - I can't really think of an honest-to-goodness real-life, actual deal-breaker for me, either.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Sounds to me like she didn't get the part, possibly because of her aging. Which really sucks. I hate recasts; for me, this could mean the difference between seeing the film once vs several times plus buying the Blu-ray--and I'm positive I'm not the only one.

19. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    When Carrie dont get her Part because the actions of Disney & Co. Then the 501st has a Mission to do!

20. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Well, that was certainly....something.

21. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Maybe realising that the thousand years old prophecy of Vader balancing the Force, only to eff up just 30-40 years into the future. They decided to make the story set 500-1000 years into the future so that the prophecy have more weigh. So, no longer requiring the big 3? I dunno what's up but its anyone's guess.

Definitely love to see the big 3 back, even as cameo. I don't see the need to destroy them in the ST, we will definitely see new set of heroes and hope they go from there. Anyway, until the official announcement who knows when...

22. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    There's still a chance she'll be re-cast for those who want Leia to appear?

23. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Looks to me as if she's not doing Episode 7. Whether that's because she doesn't want to, or they're re-casting or Leia isn't in Episode 7, who knows at this point? Leia not being in 7 would be fairly easy to get around. Having three ageing heroes is probably quite tricky to work in successfully. Luke is the most important of the three. Han and (maybe) Chewie could go out with a bang in the 1st act. Luke will probably hang around till the end of act 2 a la Ben in ANH.

24. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Why would they entitle such a piece if they didn't think this was a "farewell?"

Agreed, unfortunately.

They re-cast and I can honestly say me and my family (brother and neices) are out. SW will have been ruined for good for us.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  25. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    BTW, I think we're finally going to get some news from LFL/Disney. This will surely spark some "internet buzz" that Fisher has bid farewell to Leia, meaning she doesn't plan to be in the ST. Dinsey will be forced to do some serious damage control IMO.

LunarMoth likes this.