main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Carrie bid farewell to Leia in an open letter.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lando's Little Maneuver, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I remember a lucasfilm source saying the films might take place 50 years or longer after ROTJ.If that's the case Leia and crew might be gone.Now personally I think it would be best if only Luke and The Droids were in the new trilogy.I think the ST needs to stand on its own and be its own thing.I know that's scary to some but TCW is pretty much it's own thing,even though there's tons of main characters.Plus honestly do you really want to see Old Lady Leia???

2. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This just looks like typical Carrie Fisher. I'll believe her to "bid farewell to Leia" when she stops mining the whole experience for material, when she stops putting Leia's image on her books, and stops wearing a Leia wig on stage.
    Furthermore, am I the only person who didn't immediately think about Hamill, Fisher, and Ford showing up in future movies when this whole thing was announced? I wish everyone would stop clinging to those three returning and open their minds more before they hate these films too soon.
    Also it always annoys me when the media goes on and on about the hairstyle of the first movie. What's so bad about it? It's a hairstyle in a costume epic movie; why does it have to look like something from the local JCPenney salon to be considered perfectly alright? I never associated it with bagels or buns, or anything wacky other than just Leia's hair.

3. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    And people think this is a traversity why?

4. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    If Leia is recast and or missing from Episode VII...we will have a problem. Don't **** this up Kathleen Kennedy.

Darth Chiznuk , FRAGWAGON and Echo-07 like this.
  5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I seriously, seriously, doubt that any of you will be missing out on Star Wars Episode VII if they just recast the main three.

From what it sounds to me, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford haven't even been approached about the part, and only Harrison Ford has expressed some interest in returning.

And why are some of you acting like if they don't return, it's Disney's and LucasFilm's fault and the 'travesty' is somehow on their hands? It's clear Star Wars was hell on Earth for them, at least for Fisher and Ford, they simply don't want to be back in that hell. They're all old enough to have enough money to do with they please without ever having to work again, especially Ford. It's a personal choice for them not to return.

Truth be told, I can only see Mark returning as Luke Skywalker for a brief time, but that's it.

6. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    These farewell character studies have been done before on that site. They all fit the same pattern: an actor known primarily for one roll sometime in the last 10 - 30 years talks/writes to the character they portrayed. It's largely done as a way for them to reflect on what the character brought to the person, and as a way to separate themselves from the specter of that character.

Is this a permanent farewell? Perhaps. Or it could just be Fisher saying goodbye to the old, perpetually young Leia and bracing herself for another go-around as a not-fit-for-metal-bikini Leia. Either way, for me, the important thing is that she be at peace with whatever decision she makes.

7. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    I think it's fair to say at the very least, Carrie knows her character arc is coming to an end, either totally recast, or killed off.
    What else would prompt such a letter, unless she is just messing around with the fans ?
    If that is the case, not nice, not nice at all

8. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Personally, yes. I don't live in a world where I require all of my heroes to be young and virile. I love Carrie and think she would still nail the role.

Honestly, if the big 3 are recast, I will probably lose my interest. Will I go see it? Sure, but my excitement level will be all but gone.

Padme501st, Echo-07 and El_Machete12 like this.
  9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    In a "generational family saga" -- George's term -- it would seem highly lame and poor story-telling to exclude said family. Everything we've been told points to "passing the torch."

Don't doubt that my family will definitely NOT be seeing a reboot with a recast of the BIG 3. There wil be many more like me. That said I give the liklihood of a reboot/recast as 1% chance in that it is possible and cannot be excluded. It's far more likely that Han & Leia won't even be in the movies before there is ever a recast. Remember, this ST is DIRECTLY from George's own treatments and he would not wish to mess up the continuity he created by having to recast his iconic characters. I just can't see this as a "passing on to the new generation" with only Luke as the sole representative, especiallly if this involves Han & Leia's kids. I will feel totally cheated if we only hear about their demise and do not actually see it for ourselves.

I echo the first line but as I said, I won't see a recast or reboot. The day Disney announces that the BIG 3 have been replaced by younger actors I am outta here.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  10. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    What prompted the letter, as others have noted, was the website that published it. Regarding the ageism in fandom as regards Leia....pathetic. Do you guys learn anything from watching Star Wars or is it merely something to showcase your home theaters?

11. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Totally agree. I said this some time ago that SW is diverse and doesn't discriminate based on gender, sex, race, or age. Star Wars is big and small, young and old, black and white. People who comment that they "don't want to see old lady Leia" are immature obviously.

12. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Anyone referring to "old lady Leia" needs to be gremlin smacked by a 900 year old toad with a gimer stick.

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Sounds like she is not going to do it to me.

To be honest apart from a small cameo part by Hamil as the old Jedi Master role it's hard to see any of the OT cast in it from a story perspective rather than as fan service.

Should say to fans worrying I really cannot see Disney recasting the OT. That's pretty much a sure fire way to lose a 4 billion investment.

Echo-07 likes this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

He is interested ???? I thought he hated Stawars and had wanted Han killed off.

15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Amen.

I couldn't read this without thinking of all the nasty posts I've read on this board about how she's too old, too fat, too ugly, etc. It seemed to me that Carrie was addressing all that, how Leia lives on young and spritely on your TV screens, and Carrie ages because that's what real people do - and the way people treat you when you're preserved in their memories as forever young.

As for this revealing that she is or is not in the ST - I didn't think it revealed anything either way, nor do I think it's related to her appearing in the films. Just a humor column, IMO.

16. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I hope you're right. I hope that this was just about saying farewell to the nubile, sexy Leia that was once upon a time. IF she were to reprise her role the character is essentially different -- obviously mature -- no more weird girlish hairstyles -- most likely a mother and a mother of the New Republic. I like to be optimistic.

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
  18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Yep, a buch of adults in toy costumes needs to be involved in production decisions. I totally agree. Just make sure you film those meetings for posterity.

LunarMoth, Graphic and SoWizard like this.
  19. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think people are reading way too much into this. I've been doing some digging on that site and have found other "farewell" articles. I don't think the "farewell" is meant to be taken literally. Still, we'll find out the real truth soon enough.

20. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Also, people are way way exaggerating the big three "hating" the Star Wars movies. It's just way overboard, people! Watch some interviews with these folks and come floating back down to earth!

21. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Well said! I think you're correct, moreover hope uou're correct. The real story here is a total lack of a story. That's the problem. There's so little OFFICIAL and concrete information out there that conjecture and speculation take off like runaway trains. I know Carrie has a real acerbic wit but when I read this it still struck me as a lamentation.

For now, I'll stick to her wry comment that she is repsiring her role as Princess leia and that she thought it was "common knowledge."

22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    1) I don't think we can draw any certain conclusions from that letter. She is clearly being sort of poetic and enigmatic.

2) The ST COULD still be great without the big 3; they are not required. However, it would be a big missed opportunity, both artistically and commercially, to not at least have them in one movie.

3) The hairstyle was not realistic because she doesn't have nearly enough hair for that (I don't know if anyone does). However, it is and always will be awesome, and fitting for a princess in a fantasy story. She was the first woman that many of us fancied and fantasized about, and the character will always be iconic and awesome, as will Fisher, larger than life.

4) Casting Ford and Hamill without her? OK, could still make for a great movie, but not as good as having her; that would be a missed opportunity. Having Ford and Hamill but recasting Fisher? NO!!! THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!! DON'T EVEN SAY THAT!!!

LunarMoth and Krueger like this.
  23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Nevermind..

24. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    You're being fecetious, right? LOL

If not, then I'll say I don't think anyone wanted an old man to play a 25 year old Jedi Padawan -- completely inappropriate. Not to mention Alec was dead by then anyway. Your argument is apples to oranges.

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Exactly. No, it wouldn't be a travesty if the "Big Three" weren't in the ST, but it would be one hell of a missed opportunity of mammoth proportions. Let's be honest, no one's getting younger. This is probably the last time they will be able to have all the original actors reprise their roles. And yes, I am including Billy Dee Williams in that. It would foolish for them not to take this golden opportunity, IMO.