main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Do the extended Edition endings of Return of the Jedi make sense???

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth_Kiryan, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Concerning the films only....

Just for the extended edition of Return of the Jedi, but do the Celebration scenes on Coruscant, Naboo and Tatooine make sense at all, and this is with no inclusion of the EU besides what we see in the films.

Does it make the universe kinda seem small, and it would practically make the entire Imperial military suddenly be at Endor and all die there, at least, a significant portion of it for those celebrations to happen.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I figured there was a revolution after news of the Emperor's death reached the galaxy, and the people of the galaxy rose up and drove out the Empire. I also assumed the SE shots were taken a couple of months after ROTJ

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Why would the people on Tatooine even care?

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Tatooine, I'm not sure about. Why should they care?
    The Coruscant one I'm fine with except for the fact people think that the Empire was defeated shortly thereafter. Coruscant is the heart of the Empire. The Army, Navy, Intelligence and whatever else is there. A Galactic government falling by the wayside? Especially on its main planet? Don't you think that someone would rise up and take charge?

Darth_Kiryan and Lord_kimo1 like this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Maybe because even them don't like the Empire? It's not like there is a contradiction...

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    People on Tatooine are still under the control of the Hutts though. They aren't that free

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Lord_kimo1 like this.
  7. Lord_kimo1

Lord_kimo1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2009
    I agree.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Lord_kimo1

Mar 16, 2009
    If one is to try to understand the endings.....one must first ask why are the celebrations happening? Then and only then will you understand the meaning.

9. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Jabba the Hutt was killed. We can assume that he was the most powerful of the Hutts.
    And we only see one of the main cities of Tatooine, which surely has more contact with the rest of the galaxy than the rest of the planet.

The idea is that, once the main ruler of the Empire is killed and most of the military forces have been defeated, the regime is over. Specially if the Emperor was the same bad guy who created it.

10. Lord_kimo1

Mar 16, 2009
    Master Oierem, are saying that these celebrations happened because the Alliance had defeated the Empire?

11. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I like it because it helps to connect all the films, its nice.

12. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    The celebrations could be flash-forwards to wben Courscant was freed.

13. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    I wonder that after we hear WESSA FREE when looking at Naboo, if the people on Naboo started booing.

Avnar likes this.
  14. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I think this question can be answered by the fact that Georfe Lucas simply doesn't give a crap about the EU...or how rebellions and uprisings work for that matter.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    ANH seems to be the first time Luke has ever been to Mos Eisley, so I think it's easy to buy into the idea of the city as a different cultural climate to the rest of the planet. Plus Tatooine takes a lot of cues from Westerns, and it's pretty common for Westerns to end with the untamed land finally being tamed thanks to railroads, big business, and politics, so it seems reasonable that the planet wasn't quite as unconnected to the "center of the galaxy" by the time of the sixth episode.

16. SoWizard

SoWizard Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    It's not like the Imperials weren't ever present in Tatooine. If you remember, in A New Hope, Imperial Stormtroopers made a whole mess of things; killing an entire sandcrawler full of Jawas (Plus, how do you think those Tusken Raiders felt getting framed for killing them? ;P I joke on that point), killing two innocent moisture farmers (Owen and Beru), setting up checkpoints at the Spaceport as well as shooting it up.

Tatooine makes sense along with the rest of the planets. All of them have one thing in common; the Empire came in and bullied all of them at one point or another.

17. Lord_kimo1

Mar 16, 2009
    Jedi SoWizard makes a good point...the common....the Empire bullied them....
    So that could be a fairly good reason to celebrate...at least for that moment in time.

There could be another possibility. What if they were celebrating New Years! [face_laugh]

18. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Well as far as Tatooine goes, Jabba was dead and the empires main leaders(Sids & Vader) were killed. So the imperial prefect on Tatooine probably closed up shop and hauled off planet to regroup with the imperial fleet. So at that point Tatooine wasn't under the control of imperials or the Hutts. I guess that makes for a good reason to celebrate. I am sure that on Endor when the imps saw the DS get destroyed, they themselves thought that retreat was the best option at the time. Cloud City is reasonable enough. The empire set up a garrison there, so the imperials left there I would assume. The Coruscant one is debatable. It could have been a small insurrection that could have been quelled soon after considering that it was the capitol planet of the empire and I am sure there were many imperials there as well.

-Jedi Joe- and Iron_lord like this.
  19. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    They're celebrating because the Emperor is dead and the Empire is in disarray. The SE ending was indeed meant to imply that the Empire was essentially defeated, but I doubt even George Lucas meant to imply that it was completely wiped from existence the moment the second Death Star exploded.

The celebrations are spontaneous eruptions of joy on several planets. The Empire obviously still has a presence on Coruscant, hence the stormtrooper being manhandled by the crowd, but the people are celebrating anyway because they're not afraid anymore. My guess is all the celebrations take place at roughly the same time as the Endor celebration, because there's no indication otherwise and that's how cinematic time in Star Wars has always worked. News traveled fast, apparently.

Sarge likes this.
  20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Death Star was widely known following the destruction of Alderaan and the Battle of Yavin 4. Many systems feared that the Empire might choose to blow them away on a whim, for some petty reason. Even Tatooine wasn't immune just because the Hutts ran things. They celebrated because not only was the second Death Star just destroyed, but the Emperor himself was killed.

21. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    They have the holonet, so it makes sense that all the planets would now...and what about ll the holoprojections that occurred throughout all 6 films to different planets....and i think they only showed those specific planets because that is where many of the stories in the 6 films took place. And i don't think they were celebrating the defeat of the Empire but the Emporer

As far as the force ghost controversy...absolutely doesnt make sense. It makes no sense that Anakin would be a force ghost in his youth....Yoda never taught him the secret of being a force ghost (to my knowledge) and if the reason was suppose to be because that was the era when he was "good" then it totally contradicts the fact that there was good in him that drove him to save his son. Stick to the Limited Edition DVD Bonus Disc or Harmy's Despecialized Edition for this one...sorry guys..had to throw this one in here

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    He was surprised when Obi-Wan did it in ANH. Or I'm sure you could interpret it some other way I'm sure. .

And totally agree about your view on ROTJ Ghost controversy. Completely ruins Anakin/Vader's development in ROTJ imo. to see him go back to Hayden.

Darth Ardyti and Darth Zannah like this.
  23. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    If the Stormtroopers were clones and it was Palpatine that had total control over them then his death would pretty much be the end of Empire since they would have no real army.

Kind of a repeat of the TPM with the Droids failing when the command ship was destroyed but on a larger scale.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Rebels interviews have said that they are no longer clones. Though I personally would allow for a few exceptions, like ANH's Head-Banger.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The Clonetroopers weren't like the Droid Army in that they were puppets on a string. Order 66 was about obeying an executive order from the Chancellor over their loyalty to the Jedi. So even with Palpatine being dead, they would still answer to the Regional Governors.