main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Sequel Trilogy Timeline

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The Bops, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    The average audience member won't even know Mara Jade, Jacen Solo, or Anakin Solo even exist, so there's no point in mentioning them. At most, people might wonder who Luke's wife was and who gave birth to Ben, but that could all be explained away in a line about Luke being widower. Heck, you could just have a scene where Ben mentions his dead mother, just as Luke and Leia did in RotJ. In either case, Mara Jade probably won't even be referred to by name, but simply as Ben's deceased mother.

Chewbaca is a trickier situation, because audiences know him from previous films. You could either bite the bullet and have a scene or two explaining the fact that he's dead, or simply have him appear in the new movies and explain away his survival via the EU. I hope they keep him dead, simply because the character was starting to become pointless by RotJ (so was Han, for that matter). Yes, he's beloved by fans, but I think most average audience members would be forgiving, simply because this is forty years later, and it makes sense that some of these characters would have died offscreen.

2. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Well, we did get some mentions of the Clone Wars in the original trilogy and Obviously Anakin becoming Luke.

It's simple. Just sprinkle the MAIN points. Leave it a mystery, like the Clone Wars was. If people want, they got the EU to fully explain it!

*Spoilers Obviously*

Han and Leia marry. Anakin Solo dies in the YV war.

Jacen gets a wife, has a child, dark side, dies by sister.

Mara Jade is Luke's wife and is killed. So is Chewbacca.

Basically 9 points that can all get across to the audience in around 15 or so lines throughout the movie. Pretty easy. That's really all we need to know. It wouldn't be too confusing to the audience and it wouldn't mess with fans of the EU (such as myself).

Obviously Leia and Han kissing and them having kids is enough to show they are married. Maybe show Leia training some Jedi and mentioning how she didn't start training till she was (Whatever age she was when she started)

Maybe have Leia, Han and Luke in a quick scene of them remembering who has died. A quick mention of the YV War and the 2nd Galactica Civil War and it's all done!

3. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    OKay sorry if i am being a jerk..... it's just i don't really like the idea of Grandpa Luke Skywalker fighting with a lightsaber and cane.

4. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    But it was ok for Yoda??

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Or Obi-Wan in ANH. I guess the ST should have a bunch of tweeners running around with no experience, no wisdom available to them!

6. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't see them going so far as to jump over a generation for the Sequel Trilogy, which means this is Luke's children or Leia's children as the focus... considering we've been focused on the male line it'll probably be Luke's kid or kids.

Which still doesn't say anything as to the date or adherence to the Expanded Universe.

7. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    This is what I've been thinking and trying to say... I get why the EU guys want to preserve the EU, if I'd invested so much into reading it all, I wouldn't want to give it away easily... But, I think from a movie standpoint, you can't just skip over such important periods in the Skywalker family history. I would be very disappointed to not see the origin of G3 Skywalkers. (I'm trying to coin a term) :)

8. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I'll pick up that term... I think the ORIGIN of G3 might be X Rated ;)

9. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    *snorts into his coffee*

Okay, that was a good one there Kyris... but I've been sitting back and thinking on a number of different things and thought I'd share them with you guys.

1. Kathleen Kennedy has used the term 'Skywalker kids' in referencing the new trilogy. Yes... plural. So I have to take any statement in which the EU is followed with a huge mountain of salt... as there is only one Skywalker kid in the EU at present, and he's a bit old to have another... Ergo...

The books are wrong, and therefore will get a big retcon.

Bets money on us getting a Nomi and Ben Skywalker that largely uses some of Lucas's original ST idea of a brother - sister team going off on adventures and learning what it means to be Jedi Knights. Originally that was going to be Luke and Nomi... now with a generational movement forward in time... it'll be Luke's son and daughter. Which means mom had to have another kid, if it's even the same mom...

I'm suddenly imagining what that sort of dynamic would be like... I'd say they'd be a handful... after all, they're Mara and Luke's kids... expect chaos and destruction to follow in their wake...

EDIT: Whoops forgot point 2... nevermind, it's not that important.

10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Careful, if you aren't then they might not even be Mara's anymore... With that your heart might break

11. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    No!!! It's not true, it's impossible!

*coughs* Well... I guess I'll just have to figure out some way to make Mara Jade become the new wife then... unless it's Callista. Then I will just proceed to hate the body snatcher and fume through the film.

Still, if they retained snarky Ben and gave him an equally snarky sister... So much awesome!

Luke: "So let me get this straight, you tracked the bounty hunter to this... weapons factory."
    Ben: "Uh huh."
    Luke: "And then you decided to try and apprehend him, right?"
    Ben: "Well Nomi got this idea..."
    Luke rubs his temple. "And..."
    Ben: "She figured that a bounty hunter in a weapons factory would be trouble..."
    Luke sighs. "Obviously."
    Ben: "So, she blew it up."
    Luke: "What?"
    Nomi: "Did you know Tibanna gas burns bright red? It's kind of pretty..."
    Ben: "It is... say, can we get credit for putting the weapon smuggling ring out of commission too?"
    Luke glares at his wife. "This is all your fault."

12. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    There could also be the Skywalker Children referring to descendants of Anakin...

13. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    Ha!! Valid point. I'm willing to skip over those scenes...

I could get on board with some of your EU characters if I could see the story of Luke and wife raising these characters, even if it was only for Episode VII. This has kinda been my point all along. See the origin of the G3s in Episode VII and see them at 19-20 in Episodes VIII and IX.

I do like the Mara Jade character and would love to have her retconed in somehow. Possibly her being relatively younger than Luke in Episode VII but they still fall in love and have children. Story may be kinda rushed though.

14. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    Excellent point. My only issue is that I think the Luke/wife/children story needs to be on screen - an abbreviated version if necessary.

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    You could have Luke and Mara married with young child... not necessarily seeing the origin of the relationship...

16. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    Okay, I get that you find some people that are old in Star Wars fight. Yoda was okay to be old, because he was supposed to be like really wise. Obi-Wan was old because he was reaching the time in Star Wars when Luke needs to replace him and soon Yoda as the Last Jedi.

17. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    Possibly, but their story has so much potential...

18. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I would rather see G3 (as you would like) innocently flirt like Han and Leia without an explicit romance plot, much like OT as opposed to ramming in a Luke romance plot. I am not even for a Ben Romance heavy film...

19. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm not thinking a Luke - Mara Romance for VII... that happened in the books, well sort of happened in the books (lol... Zahn took a cheap way out with the Force Bond thing).

However, VII as a film oriented on the family has a lot of potential... We have not seen a functional family in Star Wars, here's our chance. Luke and Mara as parents dealing with two teenagers that are constantly getting into trouble... amped up to a galactic scale since we're talking about force sensitive Jedi in training.

20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Why does everyone want 2 Skywalker kids? But I do like the idea... you have?

21. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    There keep being rumors about a female Skywalker lead, the original plan for 7-9 was about Luke finding his sister and going on a series of adventures. Now that Mark Hamill is around 60... you jump forward a generation, take Luke's role and swap it with Ben... take the sister and give Ben a sister, and just run with it.

Female Skywalker lead, means a female character with the last name Skywalker and I really doubt it'll be Mara. So, the Nomi Starkiller thing comes back up and... therefore, I think we'll get a sibling team consisting of Ben and Nomi. If they're both Mara's kids (I really hope Nomi doesn't end up being a half-sister or something... God save us if she's Callista's or something) then we're talking about two Skywalker kids with Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade as parents.

Seriously, with nature and nurture going into account... the Galaxy is going to be shaking in it's boots. Spy/Assassin/Jedi Knights... we're doomed! I mean, just look at what Ben's like without a big or little sister in the mix...

Ben: "If you start to feel evil, tell me as soon as possible. Don't wait and cut my hand off first."

Ben: "I got my brains from Mom."
    Luke: "As well as your tendency toward verbal abuse."

Luke: "What's one of the first things you learned in training to be a Jedi?"
    Ben: "Don't cut your own head off with your lightsaber."
    Luke: "After that."
    Ben: "Your eyes can deceive you. Be mindful of your feelings. Girls are fun but dangerous. Lando has extra cards up his sleeve."
    Luke: "Well, the truth is in there somewhere…"

Luke: "Your emotions betray you."
    Ben: "Your emotions wander around short-sheeting beds and putting everyone's hands in bowls of warm water."
    Luke: "Would you please stop saying things like that?"
    Ben: "Sorry. I just got tired of hearing the same old phrases, the same old way, year after year. I think that's why Master Yoda mangled his Basic for the archival recordings. After nine hundred years, he was sick of hearing the same old things the same old way. Use the same cliché phrases too long and people stop hearing their message, you know?"

Ben: "Gorog's no assassin! She's my best friend."
    Mara: "She's an insect, Ben."
    Ben: "So? Your best friend's a lizard."
    Mara
    : "Don't be ridiculous. Aunt Leia is my best friend."
    Ben: "Doesn't count. She's family. Saba is a lizard."
    Mara: "Okay, maybe my best friend's a lizard."

22. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    OK, while I don't want Mara to appear. I could see the Skywalkers hiding a daughter from public knowledge that only Han, Leia, and someone else know about. I still say the team goes as follows

Replacing the Hero: Ben
    Replacing the Lancer: Jaina
    Replacing the Diplomat: Jag

Voila! There we have it... The female in the new role...

23. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    Maybe if I knew these people, I'd be more apt to agree with you. But that is what I'm saying. Casual fans will not know any of these characters.

I know you going to say that no one ever knows the characters at the start of a movie. However, this is Star Wars. It is different. The time invested necessitates more of an explanation than having some G3s walking around in their 20s when the last thing we saw was Luke and Leia in their 20s.

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    But you won't have to know them in the in between time, the characters will speak for themselves, and I promise if you give them a chance you will like them. Most people won't even know the characters came from books unless someone tells them

25. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    I guess in a perfect world, I'd like to see us both get what we want.

And the only way I see this as possible is to set up the story in Episode VII and put G3 in a two movie adventure, twenty years later, in Episodes VIII and IX.