main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Dead Space

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by General Immodet, Jan 8, 2013.

1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Personnaly, I think Dead Space was one of the best games ever made.
    Not even a movie, ever managed to scare me the way Dead Space did.

I like to see how people deal in certain situations. I think it is fascinating...
    After the recovery of the Marker, the people aboard the Ishimura went mad.
    The mad doctor I was talking about previously closed down communications with the other part of the ship.The Captain was accidently killed by another doctor. Etc. People panicked.

Did you like Dead Space?

2. Flarus

Flarus Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2013
    i loved the games...absolutely amazing especially with surroun sound headsets on in the middle of the night....lets say i did that once and sat there looking around the room all night going...what was that noise.

The problem i have with the new one is that it isnt goin to be a survival horror game...i think theres going to be too much ammo due to others with guns...Dont even get me started on the co-op part...then whole point of dead space is that it is eerie and dark....making you go slowly and take your time. The atmosphere of the game made this scary and one of the best games about IMO. So by sticking another person in you can walk together back by back and go 'oh theres one behind us'...point man turns around...pew le pew pew...rinse and repeat. ETC a very boring game i bet.

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'll be playing Dead Space 3 solo for the first time for sure. I might try the co-op afterwards but I'm not sure it will work. I am very interested to see what they do with Isaac though.

And there won't be too much ammo on the harder difficulties if it's anything like the last two games.

Anyway, what's the scariest moment you encountered in the Dead Space games? For me it would be Chapter 10 of the original, where you have to move the beds with kinesis, and the Hunter's after you. Especially in my first playthrough, when I didn't use stasis at all.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I liked both of them, I thought 2 was scarier but the first was a better game.

It did an interesting take on the DOOM idea.

Not sure where it can go with part 3, I hear it will be much more open and less enclosed which makes it less scary.

I hated the two Immortal Necromorphs, they were annoying.

5. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    The level in which you had to make your way through the medical section of the ship was also very scary.
    You could hear children's songs on the background. That was freaky...

6. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I still think they should better never have shown Isaac's face.

7. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I turned the camera right at the beginning of the original so the reveal at the end was kinda ruined. :p

Still, I like that Isaac puts the helmet on and doesn't take it off until the horror is over (or is it?).

SithLordDarthRichie It sounds like there's going to be a more open-world, but there's going to be several abandoned ships in orbit, which you can go up to and get loot and lore. That should be more of the horror felt in the first two games.

8. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    By the way, did you ever play one of the two Saw-games?
    Since you are a Saw fan, I thought you would be the one to ask.

9. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Apparently, they made Dead Space video game for Wii.
    Personnaly, I think this is a dumd idea. When you are playing the game and suddenly something appearce and you become scared, then I do not get how you would be able to control the character you are playing properly. :)

10. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah, they're really bad. Repetitive, no plot. Just not fun at all.

Dead Space: Extraction was the game for the Wii. It was later ported to PS3. It's okay, it's a light gun shooter like Time Crisis or House of the Dead, so doesn't really feel like Dead Space. It's also really short.

11. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Okay, so I won't play a Saw game. Thanks for the advice.

07jonesj likes this.
  12. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I never played the first DS, but I love the second. I've never had a game make me jump so much, and unlike Resident Evil and similar game, I actually like the controls in DS. I only wish you could see power nodes. I mean I love New Game +, but once you fully upgrade all your weapons, they're useless, and I could've used the $ on more ammo and health packs.

13. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    The first Dead Space was fun for a little while, but it had soooo much filler fetch quests and backtracking in it. I think I managed to get about halfway through before I shelved it for good. Dead Space 2 fixed that and I had no trouble playing that one to completion. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

14. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    What do you mean with "backtracking"?

15. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Currently downloading the DS3 demo so I'll post my impressions here after I've completed it (no spoilers of course!). Hopefully it retains the horror element and still feels like Dead Space.

General Immodet likes this.
  16. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I certainly hope so...
    Be sure to let us know what you think of the demo...

17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Here's my impressions:

The scare level seemed to be at about DS2 levels, maybe a little bit lower. Having it set on a planet (a brightly lit planet) does take some of the fear out of it. On the other hand, the new monster designs are disturbing as usual, and in terms of scaring you, there's one very good thing I found...

Unexpected enemy spawns. In DS1 and DS2, it was fairly obvious when you were about to be attacked - you'd be in a large room with vents all around. In DS3, you tend to be in places that don't have vents. Will they come out of the ground? The walls? From around that hill? The scares caught me off-guard a bit more than DS2 because I hadn't seen them before.

There are two methods for aiming your gun - "default" is the new method in that your cursor is always at the centre of the screen. "Classic" is where you have the lines coming from your gun. I liked classic more as it felt more like Dead Space and less like a generic shooter. Picking classic makes me feel old.

Weapon crafting system is good. Want a plasma cutter with a Force Gun attachment? You can make that. If you don't happen to like it however, you can still find blueprints and purchase standard weapons.

I'm not sure what to make of the human enemies. It didn't feel like Dead Space to me, though lore-wise it makes sense. Hopefully necromorphs remain the primary enemies. You can however lure necromorphs to the human enemies, and watch the mayhem ensue!

Overall, Dead Space 3 looks to be very good story-wise, exploring into further detail on Unitology and the Markers (the demo showed a little bit of both being revealed). Scare-wise, don't expect it to be scarier than DS2 - it's just not.

The game does look gorgeous, and we have been told you can optionally explore abandoned spaceships in orbit, so perhaps that will deliver on more of the classic Dead Space fear.

If you have any questions - feel free to ask. :)

18. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Who were the human enemies? Members of the Chruch of Utology?

Hmmm, necromancers coming through walls, interesting... Sounds good!

07jonesj likes this.
  19. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Yes, Unitologists. Without spoiling the story, there seems to be a group of them trying to stop you. The game goes into more detail but I'm not going to spoil it for you. As I say, it's not broken, it works - shooting human enemies - it just feels weird being in a Dead Space game. I imagine you'd get used to it before finishing DS3 though.

Yep, who knows where Necromorphs are gonna come from now? That definitely makes it a little bit more scary, given there aren't any vents around, but you know something's gonna attack you.

20. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
  21. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
  22. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    This is in no way a surprise.

The idea of spending money to finish SP quickly is ludicrous but if someone does it then who cares? It's a well-established model in multiplayer (see Mass Effect 3, FIFA, other EA titles) so this isn't really earth-shattering news.

23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    At the moment it's optional, but if enough people spend enough money, EA will make more and more things cost money. I don't want to see the day when you only start with standard armour, and have to pay for anything else.

24. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    That's a sky-is-falling slippery slope argument if I've ever seen one. :p

25. Seren

Seren Jedi Knight

Aug 8, 2011
    Dead Space was a scary game. I haven't played 2 or 3 yet but they sound awesome. I like the ideal of 3 being co-op. It will be funny to see my partner scream because of an necromorph. Human enemies add to the people I get to kill so I'm happy.