main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #1: In the Shadow of Yavin, Part 1 (of 6, not 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I didnt know TEA was Vol. 4. Sorry. And yes with the HS we have two different first meetings. When I saw Boba on the cover of the next issue I got to wondering if this will be a third first.

On this issue itself, it was good. Not mind-blowing but a nice introduction to the characters and timeframe. Truly something we can recommend to a SW fan who isn't knee deep in the EU.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Quick note: as a title, "IN THE SHADOW OF YAVIN" has an awesome, Daley-esque, Star Wars radio drama chapter ring to it. I can hear it being said in the narrator's voice. It's awesome.

Havac and Zorrixor like this.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Boo. This just proves democracy doesn't work. :(

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, then we should start some thunderous applause asap.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    But that's just it... there won't be any thunderous explosions now!

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So, I finally made it down to my LCD today and picked up the issue. It is, without a doubt, one of the best Star Wars comics I have read in ages. Brian Wood, who I was not familiar with (Before you stone me, know that I don't read comics outside of Star Wars), does an incredible job and really captures the right tone & feel of Star Wars. In particular, he captures that "spirit" of the Rebellion that you really sense in ANH and TESB, when they are small, outgunned, struggling, and in search of a home. Carlos D'anda does a very good job with the art. His character faces I enjoy, plus he does a excellent job on the various starfighters and capital ships in the issue. His style reminds me of someone else, but I can't put my finger on it. Either way, it is perfect for this new series.

Anyways, I was originally unsure how I would feel about Leia as a pilot, but it fit perfectly and made very good sense. The line about the losses and death experienced by Leia, Luke, and Wedge really hit home for me. Luke's entire known family and mentor are dead. Wedge lost nearly every friend he had at Yavin, to say nothing of the loss of his parents prior. Leia has lost her entire world and is baring the weight of the Alliance on her shoulders, as she is it's "symbolic" leader. Kudos too for Brian Wood writing Mon Mothma so very well. We don't see alot of her in the EU, but Mon Mothma is an incredibly important character. I sincerely hope to see more of Mon Mothma is subsequent issues.

The nod to "Commander" Ackbar and Home One brought a smile to my face, as did the use of the medical frigate's actual name, Redemption. From a purely Fleet Junkie perspective, the issue was tons of fun. The shot of the Rebel Fleet, as I mentioned over in the Fleet Junkie thread, harkens back to the shot of the fleet at the end of TESB. Just the medical frigate surrounded by a bunch of transports. No big Mon Cal cruisers or Corellian corvettes around, just a medical ship and evacuation ships. That really helps hammer home the dire straights the Rebellion is in, and has a nice BSG vibe that I really dig.

All in all, it was one fantastic issue and I cannot wait for the next one!

--Adm. Nick

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I thought you'd like it for the same reasons I did.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I thought it was good. I don't really get why everyone's fawning over it so much. The characters were handled well, the art was great, and the writing was good. But, as of now, I certainly prefer Agent of the Empire and Dawn of the Jedi.

10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Yeah, it looks like the original fears were unfounded (i.e. the series being unmoored in continuity) - great usage of existing knowledge, like the Dominus Sector, and I believe they succeeded in their original stated desire - that one could read it straight from watching Star Wars and not have to have read anything else to enjoy it.

Of course, it's still overshadowed by the space-elephant in the room (i.e. Marvel), but that's down the road a pace.

11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    They'll be sorry when we need that Death Star.

I do like how they actually replied in good humor, though.

12. Wonderllama

Wonderllama Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 1, 2013
    Great comic! I thought everyone was written perfectly. Plot-wise, I wonder what Brian Wood can get away with. He clearly wants to use all of the major characters, but taking place between IV and V seems like it would limit what he can do with them.

I could see this series weaving around the movies and jumping from a post-ANH story to post-ESB, and then finally post-ROTJ

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In part probably because it's managed to defy the doom-laden expectations that were, for me, unfairly applied to it.

There was crossover contamination from Clone Wars to contend with for instance, that it was going to be a continuity steamroller - doesn't look to have happened.

At the same time there was the thinking that there's nothing new under the sun to be done with the characters - that seems to also be defied.

Of DHC's SW lines I'd place Agent of the Empire in the top spot, it won't dislodge that right now, might do in due course if it builds up momentum, which is an advantage monthlies have over minis.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  14. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Just read this, and loved it.

The plot, as little as we know for now, seems to be going in a nice direction (I always like mole stories); the characters were handled really well IMO and they looked totally recognizable (the last recent Big-3 appearance I've read was CE3, and whoa... what a difference:p); and I like the slow pace they're taking, the fact that Wood takes his time to put the action into perspective by recapping (in a masterfully atmospheric way, if you ask me) where everyone is relative to each other and to galactic history. The galaxy, the characters and the problems all seem big in this comic, which is lovely.

And... the art. [face_hypnotized]
    I can't remember ever having seen a comic where the ships looked so huge, so complex and (in the case of the Rebellion) so believably gritty. The Star Destroyer, the Rebel Frigate, the Millennium Falcon and X-Wing interiors... Luke's room aboard the frigate with that small swing-out table...
    Also, I love how this artwork really made me believe that they're in space, that there's a huge emptiness outside all the viewports -- Luke's room again, but especially Vader standing in front of (and walking along) those huge ISD viewports... awesome.

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Buy this now or I'm sending Ben after you.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, Saga is very good indeed and the first trade is cheap Nick! There's far worse things to spend your money on.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's Star Wars with cursing; what's not to like?

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, that was a rather interesting preview. Especially the first line. :p

The premise does sound rather interesting though. The article about it on the Wikipedia describes it as a cross between Star Wars and Game of Thrones. I might have to ask my LCS to order this for me.

--Adm. Nick

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    And the closest Ackbar analogue is a guy with a TV for a head.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I love Vaughn's Y: The Last Man, so I bet Saga would be right up my alley.

21. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I know you weren't talking to me, but I just bought it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

CooperTFN likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It was "Star Wars with cursing", wasn't it? ;)

krtmd likes this.
  23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Saga looks great. Definitely going to buy it once a bit more of it comes out (in the meantime, I have to read Y: The Last Man)

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. Tinwe

Tinwe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    The whiteflight suit threw me off for a moment as well. But I figured it's another nod to the EU, since the Alderaanian royal family wore traditionally white IIRC. Either that, or Wood & co. just figured Leia likes the color since she uses it so often in the movies... :p

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I always figure that the early Alliance used a lot of Alderaanian hardware and the like. The fleet troopers are clearly Alderaanian-inspired, and I've always imagined that a lot of the uniforms and equipment we see on Hoth are also Alderaanian.