main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    That is, like, the best summary of fantasy racism I have ever seen. I'll have to quote this at some people who still say that stereotyped fantasy races are no problem at all because "it's a fictional world, duh".
    Thanks a lot for that.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, I remember having a vague sense of the whole gypsy thing at the time but I was only 19 or so and it didn't really register. "Droma"...huh.

The worst part is that there was actually a lot of room for nomadic cultures in the GFFA, but they didn't really try to make anything original out of them.

3. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    great summary

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The Big Bang Theory discussion makes me think of how I feel about Fanboys. The film painted Star Wars fans as being rude bullies who don't put up with other fandoms.

I never understood why the film was so popular, unless that is how people in general actually view us.

5. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Huh, I can't believe I never connected the Ryn to Gypsy's.

Speaking of Ryn, what the heck happened to them? I figured Droma would come back sooner or later, but the entire species fell of the map pretty much, except for a Ryn Jedi very briefly in Apocalypse.

Random Comments likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Ryn were replaced by Squibs.

TrakNar and Esg like this.
  7. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I fully expect either Wattoo or some Banking Clan Muun in the Star Wars detours to be Mort Goldman in SPace...
    It is Seth Green and Seth MacFarlane, what else do you expect...

8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I can't say I blame people for having that reaction to it -- like I said, they should have tried to implement "SGR" across the entire game and not just on some endgame content.

10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Does this mean that all people from Makeb in Star Wars will be gay?

11. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Adding same-sex content to Makeb is not 'endgame content' though. The planet represented the continuation of the story from levels 50-55, making it the first piece of non-endgame content added since launch. The only other 'story' content added since the launch has been endgame-only: the Rakghoul flashpoints, the Black Hole and Section X areas, the two Dread Masters based operations, and the HK-51 questline. So Makeb represents the first area of the game with significant NPC interaction added since the launch, making it the first place where same-sex romantic content could be added without altering existing content. So I think the charge of 'segregation' is unfair. It will be fair if Bioware never gets around to backtracking and updating the rest of the game to allow for same-sex romance during the main 1-50 story, but I think that given the company's record on the matter and existing content in the game (ex. Kaliyo Djannis is bisexual, quite openly, even if a female character can't romance her for some reason) means they should be given the benefit of the doubt for now.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Of course it's unfair, just as the charges of racism with clone troopers being represented by a Maori were unfair -- but it still gives people a very, very bad impression because it allows for an uncomfortable subtext that perhaps wasn't intended.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I almost agree with you, but the whole Maori issue always rubbed me the wrong way because there are no stereotypes associated with Maori in the West - the "uncomfortable subtext" should only be apparent to viewers too lazy or ignorant to distinguish between different kinds of brown people.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, New Zealand is still the West, culturally, and they've historically had some issues (though been better at it lately). Although you're right that most of the fuss in the U.S. media was just the fact that they looked "brown" and or "Hispanic."

15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Fanboys (the film) can seriously die in a fire. And that was before I knew Star Wars existed beyond KOTOR and the movies (and I honestly didn't much care for the movies). It's not even the subject matter, really; I just hate derpy comedies. The derp levels for that particular film were through the roof.

Esg likes this.
  16. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    What is derp?

17. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    South Park reference. Not entirely sure how to describe it... basically, what you see in a Rob Schneider movie. Can be physical comedy, intense character stupidity, awkward adorkable characters, or it could just be unbearably quirky. Can also feature toilet humor (hence a lot of derpy Rob Schneider and Adam Sandler movies that are clearly meant for kids being rated PG-13).

Essentially, every dumb feel-good comedy ever made.

18. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Fanboys was Derpy I guess... Loved them messing with Trekkies and Kristen Bell in general

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I never have and never will get the whole Star Wars fanboy vs Trekky thing. Maybe that's why so much of Fanboys was lost on me.

Random Comments and Esg like this.
  20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Out of curiosity, how should we count the Serp, the race of cannibalistic lizard men who have a culture clearly based off of Medieval Europe?

21. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    ...US media seriously thought Temuera looked Hispanic?o_O

22. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Why were people steamed about Temuera's appearance?

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    One of my friends wanted Taylor Lautner to play the next generation of Fett in ST... Does that tell you anything?

24. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005

I have no words.

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    [​IMG]