main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Carrie bid farewell to Leia in an open letter.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Lando's Little Maneuver, Jan 12, 2013.

1. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    This is getting to sound like the EU debate.......

No re-casting will happen.

I hope and believe that all of the Big 3 will be back, but rest assured that if Carrie, Harrison, or Mark are not in Ep VII, it's only because their character is not part of the continuing story.
    (Although I don't think that's going to happen either....:))

Darth Chiznuk and Echo-07 like this.
  2. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I sincerely hope not. Leia was just as much a hero as Luke and Han. I'd hate to see them both go out with heroic sacrifices but Leia get murdered like she's nothing.

Echo-07 likes this.
  3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Leia is tied with Han. In fact, they share a theme together. I think Han/Leia are going to go out in a very sentimental/noble fashion together.

The real question is whether or not the Falcon is destroyed in the process. Considering its such an iconic ship, and great merchandizing tool. My gut tells me no. But it would add significant weight to the characters getting killed. So its hard to call.

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Amen!

Oh, I don't mean to say that they're just gonna axe her in a carelesss, un-heroic fashion. Just that she will be the primary target of a plot. I kind of expect that both Han and Leia will be killed fairly early in Episode 7 should they appear at all.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know. I tend to think that Ford deciding not to join because he doesn't like the new script or the direction they are going with his character would be the top reason they don't end up with the big 3. Not that this is likely either, I just think it is the most likely scenario for not having the big 3. Unlike the others, Harrison is a marquee actor without SW. I don't think money is going to be his big motivation either; given all of his big time movie roles, he won't be applying for welfare and food stamps any time soon.

6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    If Ford reads the script and see's that Han dies between the middle or towards the start of the last act, he will sign.

For him, at his age, Star Wars will be a reunion of sorts with the people that he began his career with. Might as well go out with it as well. But Star Wars, in of itself, is not going to be the reason why he would do it.

Plus, he is going to get PAID. Probably can buy another airplane from doing it.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I hope you are right. I have read other places though that people in his circle believe he picks scripts carefully, and would even turn SW down if he thought it sucks. Another plane might not grab him when he already has planes (or could buy more planes with other movies, again, unlike the others).

I think he has the power to ask them to change something; they after all would really lose without him. This is an interesting dilemna also- what if they write people in that decide they don't want to be in? Unlike other movies, there is no way they are going to replace a big SW actor with someone else, they would have to change the script; it COULD be immensely different without a particular character.

8. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    I'm sure that they will give Ford some input and/or veto power to get him on board. If things fall apart Plan B will be to write him out. It makes no sense whatsoever to recast.

9. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Another thing to bear in mind is, Ford is VERY loyal to Lucas. If Lucas sincerely asked Ford to do it he wouldn't turn him down. Course, we may get "sleepwalking" Ford from Return of the Jedi if his heart isn't it, but whatever.

10. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012

11. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    What sucks more than anything, is that we are left with nothing but speculation until the Force knows when.

I had always kind of wondered if they would kill off the big three or kill off all but Luke. I still think that Hammill could do Luke.

12. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    They don't have to kill off anyone. Luke will surely have more to do with Ep VII and perhaps the rest of the ST, but Han and Leia could very easily have a nice spot in the first half of Ep VII and be written off into the sunset.

13. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    IMO, there is two obvious ways "Old Han" will play out:

a)A man in retirement, who lives it with such extreme disdain; probably longing for one last adventure.

b)A loner who couldn't take retirement, and ran away to his old life. But is breaking down at the point of the story.

Example A could be extremely funny and endearing. Example B could be kinda sad, but poignant.

Leia is much harder to pin down, but I don't see her as a Jedi at all. That will be for her child imo. They could bring back the concept of Queen of New Alderaan.

14. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I could see that.

15. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    It's not a farewel, more like a homage.

16. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Becoming a Jedi was the path ROTJ set her character on. She doesn't need to be in any action sequences but disregarding what the previous film set up would be a big mistake.

17. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    All that was said was that she was sensitive to the force, which pass down her bloodline. But being a Jedi is a calling and a choice(not just being sensitive to the force). I don't see it in her character that she would have had much interest in it.

As I have said, I think that is for her child.

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think Han will be a cynical old character that doesn't want to get involved in anything, but for various reasons, gets sucked back into a battle.

19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I doubt that myself. I think if there is a conflict in the story, they will be involved (Han and Leia), I don't see them existing outside of the story. I do think they will die at some point, and that will be a major plot drama point that will happen during the movie (not something in the opening crawl of one of the movies or anything). Kind of like when Vader, Obi Wan or Yoda died.

20. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    As sad as it would be to see any of them killed, I think I would be more sad to see the falcon destroyed, and believe me, Han Solo was my hero as a kid and still is in many ways!

Echo-07 likes this.
  21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, that fits too, but there has to be some level of disdain for "settling down."

22. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I think its, dramatically, very tempting to do it for exactly that reason. Not to mention, its is a very close extension to the character of Han.

Then again, they're toys to sell. So it could go either way.

23. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Personally I'm ok with them recasting the original characters. Because let's face it.

The actors are not the characters, the characters are the characters. Anyone that is capable and well casted could potentially play the three heroes we know and love and do well! If you guys don't buy it, well it's happened before in the series. And brilliantly I might add!

Ewan was the best part of the prequels imo. He did such a great job at being Obi Wan, it was so awesome! Now if it comes to it and new people would be cast to play our old heroes, it's not the end of the world. It is possible to have someone capable of acting the part just as well.

As for the letter itself, could go either way I guess.

24. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Ewan was playing the younger version of a character we first saw as an old man. This could not work in the opposite direction (younger actors playing slightly older versions of the Big Three...no. thanks.)

25. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    I would prefer that they were involved as well, but I have a hard time thinking that they could kill them both off effectively in a way that doesn't just scream "We killed them both because they are too old to do three movies"

At the end of the day, there is not real reason that everyone from the OT needs to die in order to move the ST forward.