main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Obscure, Unsubstantiated Rumor Indirectly Denied by Randy: Star Wars comics moving to Marvel?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Fleab88, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    This is probably going to sound crazy, and this is just a thought, but what if both Marvel and Dark Horse are going to share the license to a degree. I've heard before that in different times in Star Trek History, each series license has to be purchased seperately, and that in different times different companies held different individual series. What if Dark Horse retained license to say PT and OT material, along with original material, aka Legacy 2.0, while Marvel handles any ST tie-ins. That way Marvel can handle the big name, money making titles, while Dark Horse can continue to release their material. For Disney, it could be a win-win situation. They make money off Dark Horse, and they make money off of Marvel. Plus, this way, therecan be a wider line of Star Wars comics making money for them than if just a single company held the license. Don't know if this thought has been brought up yet, but it just came to me and I figured I would post for thoughts.

vong333 likes this.
  2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    That could always be a possibility. At this point, it remains unknown what the end result of this whole fiasco will be.

3. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    They'll lose it when the contracts up. From what I understand Marvel lobbied for the license the last time the contract was up. Obviously they didn't get it, however times are different now. Disney owns Star Wars, not Jorge. Disney owns Marvel, so really can't see it not happening.

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Off-topic, but I still don't get this "Jorge" thing. Is using the Hispanic form of George's name supposed to be derogatory or something?

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    He means it affectionately, I'm sure.

I obviously don't know anything more than the rest of you, but having been a regular Marvel reader (and follower of their business) for twelve years now, and an occasional reader for several years before that...I still just feel like they wouldn't want it. They have so many eggs in their basket already, and even the licensed things they are doing just seem like a different fit. The Stand is the only thing even close, and that's what? 5 issues a year?

If they did get SW, I feel like it would be a Disney decision--and I haven't seen any evidence of Disney getting involved in their publishing decisions thus far.

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The Stand is a bit different - like with the Dark Tower comics (at least the original run) it was agreed going in that it would only be 30 issues total. So longer than a usual miniseries, but still a fixed run from the start.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Actually, I was thinking Dark Tower - got them mixed up. :p

Point being, nowhere near the commitment that a DH-level SW line would entail.

8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    If, God forbid, DH loses the SW license before they have a chance to republish the Russ Manning and Archie Goodwin/Al Williamson comic strips in some type of collected format, could they go to someone who specializes in that kind of thing, like IDW's Library of American Comics?

That's what I'm wondering.

9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well in those 12 years Marvel already lobbied for the license once the last time the contract was up. So apparently they did want it, and with a new movie coming out they'll probably want it more. Not to mention they are owned by the very company that owns STAR WARS, so if the contract ends they are pretty much guaranteed a victory.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I really don't know either way, but I wouldn't mind seeing evidence of that.

Zeta1127 and Esg like this.
  11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    How would Dark Horse know if they are going to "suddenly" lose the license. If the contract would be terminated early, I doubt they'll have much warning. DH is just trying to maximize the money they can make out of the license while they still have it. That's what any company would do in their place given the news.

12. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    In this topic I keep getting hope, only for it to be cruelly snatched away.

I am just going to prepare for the worst.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's possible he is referring to Jorg Sacul.

The_Phantom_Calamari likes this.
  14. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    You assume the talk of future project licensing goes without any consultation for those who currently still hold the license, and that they have no say in a bid to keep the contract. I know that kind of thing can happen, but that does not mean it will. You do know that Randy just might be involved in the talks, right? And if the higher-ups were more sure of a direct cancellation, they may be more likely to NOT approve ongoing series. What DH does with the brand does go through Lucas Licensing. New series have to be approved.

I'm sorry, but I'm of the opinion we've heard more good news than bad on both the EU and DH front. I realize this could all come crashing down horribly any day now wiping out both DH AND the Post ROTJ EU in one fell swoop, but there are few signs that point to this actually happening outside of doomsday speculation on these forums. I'm not saying these cynics are outright wrong, but we have very little actual evidence beyond the circumstantial. Heck, what evidence we do have points in the opposite direction.

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That's the most true statement I've heard on the Disney subject in a long time.

RC-1991 and Zorrixor like this.
  16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

17. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    What evidence? What facts? What good news? AFAIK, almost everything is circumstantial and speculative from both view points.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Maybe Dark Horse won't lose the license, but who knows.

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The continued release of DotJ and Dark Times, the debut of Star Wars and the announcement of a grand Post-RotJ comic series in the form of Legacy 2.0. That these DH series have no sign of ending anytime soon seems a positive indicator of DH's fate.

BoromirsFan, Esg, Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.
  20. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I agree with you. It may just be a false interpretation, but I actually see more positive news for the Eu than negative. Call me an optimist, but it really seems like the EU will not be nearly as damaged as others on the episode VII board are convinced it will be.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    There's also the TCW example of outside writers being brought in for a high-profile SW project doing their best to use the EU whenever Lucas doesn't specifically stop them - which will no longer be a factor in the Disney era.

Esg likes this.
  22. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    That "evidence" can lead to different speculation: (a) all this new stuff from DH is a sign they believe they'll keep the license for a while, or (b) all this new stuff from DH is a sign they are trying to squeeze out as much material and make as much money as they can before they lose the license.

It could be interpreted either way, thus not really evidence of anything. All we're doing is speculating.

23. marvelfett11

marvelfett11 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 21, 2002
  24. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I can't help but be cynical. Its a defense mechanism! DH has had some great news yes, but I am holding my (mental) breath until I hear the fate of DHC keeping the license or not.

Anyways here is a thought that just occurred to me: Some posters said that DH may be barred from selling anything SW related if they lose the license. Some say they can still republish old material.... I don't know!

But these new comics have to be made into trade paperbacks for additional profits....Wouldn't them losing the license prohibit them from making new trade paperbacks?

Perhaps their schedule of comic releases indicates they are perfectly fine?

25. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    It all depends on the details of their contract, which we don't know.

Del Rey was able to reprint the movie novelizations and the pre-TTT EU books like SotME, Han Solo trilogy and Lando trilogy while Bantam had the license for new adult novels (all before Bantam was bought out by Del Rey's parent company Random House). It is possible that Dark Horse will enjoy the same benefit according to their licensing contract.

I think Dark Horse had to buy the rights from Marvel to reprint the Marvel comics, but I'm not positive on that, which would also be another good sign that DH retains the rights to the material they published. However, it is possible there are clauses in their agreement where they lose rights to reprint.