main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That is... incomprehensibly stupid. I literally can't even wrap my head around that.

Hopefully it was a joke and was never seriously considered. If the most important military leader of the Rebel army didn't know what a "trap" is, no wonder they took twenty years to beat the Empire :p

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I bet someone just thought of it as a joke, and once it got around to George, they had to talk him out of it. [face_mischief]

Zorrixor and Ulicus like this.
  3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    edit: Sorry, my original post came out a bit too grumpy. But I doubt they interpolated a non-existent vowel rather than just pronouncing it the way it's spelled.

But yeah, that Ackbar thing's gotta be a joke. Having a military leader not know the meaning of a word familiar to your average four-year-old is too silly even for TCW.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    They could have though. I'm just wondering why so many people(well 3 :p) had that wrong pronunciation in our heads. I don't know that it came from there, but its my wild conspircay theory for now :p

JackG likes this.
  5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I bet Filoni was being serious.

Filoni: ...And that's how Ackbar learned what a trap is. :)
    Interviewer: *laughs* Good one!
    Filoni: Why are you laughing? :(

Zorrixor likes this.
  6. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I just just trawled through audiobook version of I, Jedi (same narrator as JAT) and they pronounced it as Ka-Ree-Da, too. I think Caridia rolls of the tongue better than Carida so that's maybe the reason that people unconsciously pronounced it that way.

Edit: I have a question for my fellow Litizens.
    I've been noting of late (much to my annoyance) that people have been referring to the saga as this (and I'll quote just one of the several people I've seen say it) "6 movies, 1 ongoing tv series, and the separate EU"

So here's my question:
    Is TCW part of the EU or is it something on its own?
    I think that Lucas' involvement is what leads people to presume that TCW is its own entity free from the EU, but I don't think it should be so; Lucas approved Dark Empire, TFU and SotE yet they're normal EU. I don't think that TCW should be a higher level of canon,let alone free from the EU. What does everyone think?

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    There properly is no correct pronunciation anyway; just try listening to the Ep 3 Jedi council talk about Kashyyyk, each of them pronounces it differently.

Oh it’s the same level of EU just happens to be on par in quality to Jedi Trial, more often than not.

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Jay...oke? What are these things you call 'jokes'?

This is Star Wars, good sir. The franchise where everything said must be taken as literal statement of fact!

9. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    It's a higher level of canon. The keeper of the Holocron has made it so!

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm not talking about levels of canon, I'm asking whether it's EU or its own thing.

11. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Because its it's own level of canon and Lucas specifically pitches some episodes and such, I'd say its its own thing

12. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    There is no such thing as 'higher level of canon'.
    Lucas may say he likes some thing explored in the EU, but it is not his decision to decide what is canon and what is not.
    Every fan should make out for himself what is canon and what is not.
    What other people say about it does not matter.

13. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    There are official levels of canon.

You can just choose to ignore them.
    Like you can choose to ignore TCW, or decide Gallifrey is part of the GFFA....

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Meh, Lucas sold his right to G-canon to Disney :p

Zorrixor likes this.
  15. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The G in G-Canon has always been a D, to show the creator of the universe. It just hasn't been revealed yet, and so we need people to change all mentions of G-Canon in the Internet to reveal the true letter that has always been there. All glory to the Creator of All!

Zorrixor and Gorefiend like this.
  16. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    The Disney logo always looked like a G to me when I was young.....maybe the Holocron Keeper made the same mistake?

17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

18. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    I'd rather use Gallifrey.....so much more story potential than the potential from ignoring the best animated show on TV...

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    From the official TCW Facebook page:

[​IMG]

20. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    That's great!

Nice to see confirmation that Grievous's encrypted transmission was indeed about the ship-hijacking plot.

21. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Sounds like Tarkin needs a hug.

General Immodet likes this.
  22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Speaking of TCW and FB...

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, Coop, color me intrigued. Anything that shows the grandeur of Palpatine is fine by me.

And that Tarkin thing is all sorts of awesome. It reminds me of the good old days of WEG -- I'm a big fan of seeing in-universe writings like that. They channel Tarkin's tone well, and it's the sort of cheeky "suggestion" that would surface later with the Tarkin Doctrine.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, and nice touch that Obi's flagship was the Negotiator. :cool:

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I wonder if that makes Grievous's whole "Ah, General Kenobi... the Negotiator" more of a taunting reminder than a reference to his nickname? :p Although it's hard to top Tarkin characterizing the whole situation there with the padawans as one involving "truant Jedi children."

Random Comments likes this.