main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2013 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I bought two new bikinis last summer; it was the first time I've worn a bikini in about 10 years, and it felt damn good to feel like I was fit enough to wear it.

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Just got back from the gym with my buddy. Ran a mile to warm up, and then did about 45 minutes of weights. My arms are KILLIN me haha. Going again on Tuesday.

Valyn and Souderwan like this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Strap a stone of meat to my stomach at all times?

4. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    This morning was circuit training with the command plus about 3.1 miles total running (sprints and jogs). The circuit training is fun, but rough. We do this 7-8-5 routine (7 repetitions of each exercise in the circuit, sprints, rest, then 8 reps, sprints, rest, then 5) based on our hull number (SSN 785). We mix up the exercises from day to day to keep it interesting (i.e. exhausting)

Today: Planks (left, right, center-5 sec holds each), Jumping Jacks, Pushups, Jumping Jacks, Bicycles; Jumping Jacks; sqaut jumps. Then 4 sets of 50 yds sprints followed by 100 yd jogs.

Once we were done, we wrapped up with a mile cool down. I went ahead and did another 1.5 miles because I wanted to get to 3 miles for the day.

Suffice it to say, Command PT days hurt. :p

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Mrs Yankee and I bought a treadmill recently and my goal is to put it to use 3-4 times a week. Specific goal is to run the Salzburg Business Run next Semptember (6k) in 26 minutes. The past two years I've been just of 30 minutes with little or no training beforehand.

Or, to put it another way, to be in the shape of a person whose physical age matches my mental age.

6. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Supposedly you only work all the muscles in your legs if you use the treadmills with the power off, pushing the belt yourself.

I walked 6 miles yesterday. To the pub and back, essentially.

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Never heard that but I know running on a treadmill (with no incline) is not as much of a workout as running the same distance outside.

8. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I generally have at least 2% incline, the program i'm doing lately varies between 0 and 5, with a 2 minutes at 15. It's definitely not the same as normal running, but better than not running at all. And I've definitely noticed an improvement, had far more stamina playing soccer last week.

9. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Not sure if they are already mentioned, this thread had gone crazy since I first replied, but you can get these apps from a company called runtastic. Straight runtastic pro is for running, uses GPS and tells you what your pace is, etc. It also keeps a record of the runs you have done and you can share your workout on Twitter fb etc.

The cool thing though is you can also get apps from runtastic for push ups, sit ups, pull ups and squats.

These let you choose a level to start from and build up. The push ups one eventually gets you doing 100.

It's doubly good because in order to register the push up you have to touch the screen (nose is best) which means it is a full push up you are doing and no half baked job.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I need to get back into swimming, or at least walking again. Was doing really well till I hit that plateau and then got so frustrated I quit. Now that I'm dating again, I guess I've got more inspiration. :p

s65horsey and Souderwan like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've used the Couch-to-5K app and really liked it. It times intervals for you and imports your music and shuffles it. The cheerleader-ish voice could get annoying towards the end ("You can do it! You're almost there!" Yeah, I'm almost puking here, shut up) but that's my only complaint and it's a very minor one.

I've heard good things about MapMyRun but haven't actually used it.

12. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I have MapMyRun too, it's pretty good. When I am running again I will do a comparison...

13. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    For my outdoor runs I use the Nike+ app that comes built in to the iphone, mainly so I know how far I ran. And I like having famous female track stars congratulate me. :p Were I to switch to a different app, I'd definitely go with runtastic, heard many good reviews of it, and the developers are Austrian.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I have an appointment with my doctor on Feb 4, to have my leg looked at again. I've been attempting to walk a mile per day to both get my leg working again and get back into shape after not using the leg for the better part of a year. The walking isn't going so well, though. After about two blocks, both calves, the left knee, and my lower back ache and my leg hyper-extends with each step, which really, really hurts, so I end up limping home. So yeah... the goal is to get my leg working well enough to walk a mile per day, for starters.

15. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Good luck, Kristie. I know how tough and frustrating it must be. I once dislocated my shoulder and even after getting it set properly (it was set improperly the first time and had to be dislocated again), it was months before I got full mobility back and it was incredibly frustrating.

You'll make it, though!

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    So over the last few months I’ve danced back and forth at the threshold of the heaviest I’ve ever been in my life. 263lbs at 6’4” isn’t like zomg I’m a Hutt!1!!1! but it is a bit disconcerting to feel my belly jiggle when I walk. So my goal is to drop 40 lbs by “Star Wars Day” (May the 4th Be With You).

I’m avoiding the freaky diets that leave me weeping in longing at the sight of a cheeseburger, or X-TREME!!1!1! exercise regimens that leave me a puking mass of pain. Likewise, I’m shying away from what I call Always/Never diets. Except for the various guises of high fructose corn syrup, monosodium glutamate, and enriched flour. That stuff is the Axis of Evil. I’m just going with the good old fashioned eat less/do more regimen. I also know there’s gonna be times when I fall off the wagon” and I have a regularly scheduled “cheat day.”

So far, I’ve dropped 7 lbs in 8 days. Actually, it was 8 lbs in 7 days, but I gained a pound back.

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm on one of the freaky diets where you eat their food and dear lord I would kill for a burrito right now. :(

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Right! That’s exactly why I opted not to go on a freaky diet.

19. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I've looked into running apps, but the iPhone I use when I'm running is an old hand-me-down with no SIM card and no data plan, so I thought that none of the GPS stuff would work. (I use the accelerometer setting for Zombies, Run! but it's still experimental and sometimes messes up.) Anyway, after looking around after the recommendations in this thread I found that actually the GPS may still be able to communicate with the satellites, even if there's no data plan on the phone, so I'm going to give Runtastic/MapMyRun/Nike+ a shot when it gets warm enough to run outside again and see if they actually do work and which one I like best. It'll be easier than manually tracking my distances!

A couple years ago I downloaded one of the "Insanity" workouts and made it less than 5 minutes before I couldn't physically do anything anymore, even the modified 'easy' stuff. Terribly unproductive.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Do you even lift, JCC?

Darth Guy and Boba_Fett_2001 like this.
  21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  22. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Reeling in all that string and then measuring it must be a royal pain.

Side note- I would love to run/hike/bike in the Austin area. Dallas couldn't be duller landscape wise in comparison.

23. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    There is an AMAZING 7-mile hiking path in the Barton Creek Greenbelt that starts out in a little outside of town and ends at Zilker Park downtown and has some really cool swimming spots along the way. If you're ever in Austin hiking or mountain biking, I totally recommend that trail.

24. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Sounds awesome.

25. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I had a 100 calorie strawberry yogurt ice cream cup last night. It was so damned rewarding I just had to share.