main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Award Season Discussion!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 7, 2012.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Silver Linings Playbook is sort of one of the tradition "little indie movie" Oscar noms, but it stars really recognizable stars (Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DeNiro). I haven't seen it yet, but it was a wide release. I feel like the only two truly ultra-indie BP noms this year are Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

As far as Rise of the Guardians... yeah, that movie looked godawful.So if it wasn't, then yeah, I'd say their marketing department really screwed up.

What's amazing to me is 3 of the 5 nominees are stop-motion.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Silver Linings Playbook was good, if slightly clichéd. Great performances, though. I've seen plenty of TV ads for it, so it's not that much under-the-radar. Beasts is definitely indie, though.

Critics Choice Awards were last night. Argo won for Best Picture and Best Director, with Daniel Day-Lewis and Jessica Chastain winning Best Actor and Best Actress, respectively. I actually watched it on TV, too. Quvenzhané Wallis won for Best Young Actor/Actress, and she read her speech off an iPhone. It was cute.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I suppose so. It'll be interesting; it'll be the first "official" thing I've done in months. :p

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Mixing, hell yes. There's nothing wrong with the sound design of the film. It's the editing that's the issue.

The visual effects are quite extraordinary as well, and the lensing is way superior to Claudio Miranda's work. And the score beats the crap out of Desplat's work for Argo.

Nothing about the total shutout surprises me, though. Far too messy a film to appeal to AMPAS, especially after Inception had a solid haul in '11.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Before this week I didn't known that there were two movies about Lincoln this year.

I liked the idea of Lincoln killing vampires getting Oscar nominations, though.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Saw Zero Dark Thirty. I liked it, a very solid and pretty unpretentious and not at all overwrought spy procedural. Not the best film of the year but definitely worthy of its noms. And Bigelow definitely should have been nominated.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    To summarize the Golden Globes message to the Oscars: Argo **** Yourself

9. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I liked Jennifer Lawrence's acceptance speech: "What can I say? I beat Meryl."

10. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    she said that? daaaaaamn!

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Have I mentioned lately that I like Jennifer Lawrence?

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  13. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    You're kind of mischaracterizing this. She said "What does it say? I beat Meryl." while 'reading' the award. And then immediately said "Joking aside." It was a great moment, though, and a good speech. She thanked Harvey Weinstein for "killing whoever he had to kill to get [her] up here today."

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    she won for the hunger games, right? arlon will be pleased.

Boba_Fett_2001 likes this.
  15. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    lol, no! Silver Linings Playbook. I don't know how much of that post was a joke so I'm treating it as though it was all sincere.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i didn't know how to make it more obvious that i was joking. i thought you guys operated from the assumption that i actually know everything.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I saw Silver Linings Playbook last night (why does the commericals only call it Silver Linings when the text on screen even says Silver Linings Playbook?).

It was a great film. Jennifer Lawrence wasn't OMG amazing (Bradly Cooper was, on the other hand), but it was very serious but fun. There was a time that the entire audience started cheering. I don't think it's Best Picture worthy, but definitely good.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    God, stop talking about the talented, charming, attractive actors you like all the time.

Darth Guy likes this.
  19. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Wasn't intentional misrepresentation on my part. I honestly didn't think it could be taken as anything other than a joke. Jennifer Lawrence just seems like such a goofy loveable person.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That segment seemed so stupid and forced. Then I saw where this gif was going.

Good job. :)

21. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Just discovered that the "I beat Meryl" bit was a First Wives Club reference. A friend of mine mentioned that it might be while we were watching the speech last night, but no one could remember it from the movie, so we all forgot. But the internet's all over it now.

22. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    after watching the feral/wigs bit, i have the distinct impression that tommy lee jones may very well have excellent taste in comedy.

Valairy Scot and Juliet316 like this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    SAG Awards are on now. Downton Abbey just won for Oustanding Ensemble in a Drama Series. Modern Family won for the same in the comedy category.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Downton does have a large and fairly talented cast. I mean, not nearly as good or working with as good material as GoT. But since these are awards only for acting, not for writing or the overall show, it's not a horrible choice. Not who I would have voted for though. Probably GoT or Breaking Bad or Mad Men all over Downton.

Here's the thing. Elizabeth McGovern is so atrocious she nearly ruins every scene she features prominently in. Sucks for the good actors in the show.

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I heard about but didn't see Jennifer Lawrence's speech about beating Meryl, but her speech at the SAG awards last night was very humble and well done when she won for best female actor in a drama.

I also saw "Silver Linings Playbook" this weekend and quite enjoyed it. I'm happy that it got nominated, but I'm guessing that "Lincoln" is going to clean up at the Oscars.

Claire Danes sounded like an idiot in her acceptance speech but she does bring up a valid point...what's the more accepted/preferred term? Female actor OR actress?