main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST All Officially Confirmed INFO HERE (see last page)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TheBBP, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  2. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    What a response,
    in fact I'm so astonished that I might actually not bother saying anything more about that.

3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    No way is the film being pushed back to 2015, it would be stupid to spend all that money then wait unnecessarily to get started recovering it.

KK said there will be news on the 18th, that's this Friday.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Not gonna bother to read this thread, but the lack of news has been the best thing for this forum since the news first broke.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Jurassic 4 vs Star Wars 7... Honestly I think Kathleen Kennedy will be working on Star Wars from a distance and just signing checks while the writter director and SW loyal people make the movie. Then she will make her notes when it is done...

I will be honest, I have no clue what her job is aside from being part of what Lucas used to do

Echo-07 likes this.
  6. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Her role will be to say yes or no and stay out of the way as the people who know SW make it.

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    There is no way Disney screwed up. A year delay in Star Wars would materially impact Disney's profits and would be required to be reported in SEC filings.

8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Which shouldn't stop or slow Star Wars from being made...

9. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Exactly...

10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, Iger said that the initial profit to shareholders would only be realized in 2015 with the release of the new movie. Delaying said movie delays said profit of at least 3 Billion and depending upon how great the movie perhaps even more.

11. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I am just going to say that any dates that are given for a film prior to pre-production are tentative. They are not set in stone. Release dates are figured out mainly in pre-production; once financial/shooting locations/actor commitments are all accounted for. They then have a shooting schedule put into place for actual production.

Disney is not really losing any real money until they go into production, let alone pre-production. They are already turning income from Star Wars with inheriting the existing merchandizing. Its not going to make a massive difference for them by delaying the release date by one year; especially with Avengers 2 being released in 2015.

Personally, I think Bob Iger made his comment largely to scare the pants off of WB's "Justice League" movie.

12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I've obviously missed something. When did she say that?

And all this talk about the release being pushed back a year, honestly, Episode 7's schedule is actually very standard. There is nothing "rushed" or "premature" about it. The only reason why it feels that way still is because the news of the sale and a whole new trilogy came so suddenly. It has clearly been in the works for a very long time, though. A director has probably been on this since about November. Two and a half years from the announcement to the release is actually a lot longer than a lot of other "big" films. The development/production process will not be rushed at all. It’s actually a very normal timeframe. James Cameron only makes it seem as though you need five years to make a film. You don't. Even with big ones.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Also true, but they are itching to roll out THEIR brand of Star Wars...

14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it was some tweet

15. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Sure, but they are in a precarious position with inheriting this franchise, they REALLY want to get it right. Rushing the film for the sake of "getting it out" is probably not their approach.

Disney understands that the prequels were not universally loved by everyone, and will be very cautious not to repeat it. I am pretty positive they are going to take their time.

Hell, even the first Avengers film was VERY calculated.

Remember people they are making Episode 7 for the general public, not for the insatiable hard core fans. Most people are not going to freak out if Star Wars is delayed a year; they probably won't even know.

V-2 likes this.
  16. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    The PT had to tell us the story of Darth Vader and the rise of the Empire.

These new movies have a free hand and I have no idea what comes next.

Happy days I love it.

V-2 and ShaneP like this.
  17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    We are on the same page here. Avengers was calculated, the whole Marvel world is, as will be the New Star Wars... With that being said, If I were going to push it back one year, I would include an announcement about the live action show for 2014 or 2015 then, or even 2 animated shows... Something for fans to savor on as well...

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That's the best about the whole thing if you ask me. It's blue sky. They can go anywhere.

OldTimeFan and benknobi1 like this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There is no reason to push this back and no indication that it will be pushed back. All the evidence suggests that this has been in the works for quite some time with Lucas meeting with Hamill and Fisher in 2011. I think there has been plenty of time to get the thing under way enough to reach the 2015 date.

20. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    This is what I think happened:

Lucas started talking about selling the company last spring. He then brought in Kennedy who recommended offering it to Disney. During the Summer, Disney than planned out their purchase. Ideas for Episode 7 probably started getting thrown around late July/August.

Lucas then took his original treatments, made some adjustments, and then handed them to a group of carefully selected/vetted writers(Ardnt, Darabont, Lienloft etc)all tied to non disclosure contracts. The writers were then told to write larger/expanded/more detailed story treatments. They all competed for the job, Ardnt won.

Ardnt was probably selected in early October and has been writing the thing since then. He is probably done with the first draft.

But I seriously doubt the thing has been going on longer than that.

Its not to say the 2015 date can't be achieved, but that will largely be decided in pre-production. I wouldn't be terribly shocked either way.

21. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Well said. That probably explains why many of the directors have turned it down. If there was inside knowledge this was going to happen, some of them would have had conveniently "freer" schedules.

22. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Not to mention if it is not well liked, I would hate the scorn of SW fans. We turned on Lucas for a while after the PT... Some still haven't forgiven him...

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Whose we? I never turned on him. However, it is inevitable that some fans won't like the new movies (and there's nothing wrong with that), I just hope it's not as scornful as it was during the PT. That was really unnecessary.

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I completely agree

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    We have to remember Lucas was talking '98 for the first prequel back in the early-mid-'90's. But it was then pushed back a year.

The difference is Disney is a public company with shareholders, but I'm sure they have contingency plans in place if the film gets pushed back a year so it affects their quarterly profits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.