main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Poll: Would You See the ST if Luke, Leia and Han were Recast

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bazinga'd , Jan 14, 2013.

?

Would you go see the ST if Luke, Leia and Han were recast?

1. Yes

52.6%
  2. No

25.6%
  3. Depends on Who was Chosen to Play the Big Three

21.8%
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I don't think I could do it. Like many have said already, Mark, Carrie and Harrison are Luke, Leia and Han and nothing is going to change that in my mind.

Hitchhiking-Ghost and Echo-07 like this.
  2. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Honestly I think everyone here will see it regardless of what Disney do.
    Curiosity will get the better of everyone, even if there are reports of it being 2 hours of Justin Bieber recast as Han Solo competing in underground dance contests and occasional drift races.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I will see it. I just wont see it in the theater and be all excited about it like I would if they had the orginals returning or didnt have those characters in the film at all.

If they recast, I will wait for rental. That's where I draw the line. But that's really the only line.

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I'm not going to cast a vote in the poll because we all know that everyone who is big enough a fan to be a part of a board such as this is going to see the ST regardless of ANYTHING!

Come on.

Darth Chiznuk and V-2 like this.
  5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The question is WHY WOULD THEY RECAST ? it would be plainly rediculous :

1. Why would you re-cast and have another trilogy devoted to the big 3's characters
    2. The big 3 need to pass the torch to the new generation
    3. If re-cast Disney will make less money on the ST "simple as that"
    4. Who the hell could fill those shoe's & who would want to take that responsibility on
    5. I heard a rumour the Mark Hamill , Carrie Fisher & Harrison Ford were still ALIVE

kataja, Echo-07 and LunarMoth like this.
  6. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Number 5 sounds a little shakey to me........:p

7. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    1. Why would you re-cast and have another trilogy devoted to the big 3's characters
    Because the original cast are too old to continue the story directly post ROTJ, if that is the plan.
    2. The big 3 need to pass the torch to the new generation
    It would be nice but not completely necessary
    3. If re-cast Disney will make less money on the ST "simple as that"
    It would initially be unpopular no doubt but that is pretty well much impossible to predict. Especially if the new films review well.
    4. Who the hell could fill those shoe's & who would want to take that responsibility on
    The OT cast weren't the greatest actors in the world, I'm more than confident that there is a pool of talent that could fill their shoes. Fanboy wrath would be a concern for them though.

5. I heard a rumour the Mark Hamill , Carrie Fisher & Harrison Ford were still ALIVE
    I can't argue with that.

I'm not saying this because I want the them recast, I would love to see Mark in the role of Luke again. I'm just saying it wouldn't be the worst thing ever, especially if they did a good job recasting.

kataja likes this.
  8. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    I voted yes, as I would still see the movie, but like another poster said, I would be disappointed going into it.

9. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    To all you saying the big three were essential to Star Wars' success - what did y'all think about the PT?

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    That's not the argument. Who played Luke, Han, and Leia in those PT films? This is about recasting those roles.

Bazinga'd and Joe Antonetti like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This 100 percent.

But yeah, I'll still go see it; as someone else said, I'll probably only see it once as opposed to the repeated theater viewings for all the other Star Wars films except for ROTS (which I saw once, at a discount theater).

12. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I personally feel a recast is in order. None of the big three aged particularly well (maybe Harrison, but not the other two), and putting them on screen would break the movie more than a recast with actors who can better play the roles. However, I would prefer just not having them in the movie vs a recast.

Sorry, my mistake. I mis-interprited some of the statements on the first page

13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, I dont think people are arguing the validity of the prequels to the success of SW at all. I think most of us *No* votes were just saying those actors are those roles. They were essential to those characters. Not essential to the success of SW overall.

I'm with you about not having them in the films if they're thinking of recasting. It will fracture the community more than anything I could imagine.

14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

1. I don't believe they will have another trilogy focusing on the Luke , Leia , Han characters & I know there to old to play them 1-20 years after Jedi but from all the rumours & talk floating around the ST will be set 30-40 yrs after Jedi thus no need to re-cast but have the big 3 in smaller roles to pass the torch .
    2. Necessary IMHO .... just as Obi-Wan did in EP4
    3. If re-cast it would throw alot of negativity out there & that sways critics so it's bound to have alot of negative reviews
    4. The fanboy wrath would be so bad that these actors would have to go into hiding
    5. Yes they are alive & kicking so no need to recast see option 1 .

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Like I said in the Carrie Fisher letter topic, I would not mind as long as they picked out the right actors. The actors are not the characters in my eyes when it comes to any kind of play or movie. Especially when it comes to Mark and Carrie these days. They don't look anything like Luke and Leia anymore IMO. Only Harrison has any real resemblance to his GFFA counterpart these days.

Yes they could use CGI to make the actors look more like how they think an aged Luke, Leia and Han would look like sure. But the thing is they could also do that for any other actor that might be a good fit for the characters.

I mean come on, Ewan was great as Obi Wan in the prequels as a young guy. In fact he was the best part of the prequels IMO! Who's to say then that they can't do this in reverse? Have some fine actors take up the mantle of an old Luke, Leia and Han? It's not exactly impossible, heck it happened already.

Now don't get me wrong, if Mark, Carrie and Harrison are willing to do this, then yes that would be the best way to go of course. It's just that I'm not gonna cry in my sleep if Mark, Carrie and Harrison don't return. As long as the new guys play them right!

Well, I guess that's not entirely true. I would cry in my sleep if they got worse actors to play them. Or play them incorrectly, which is also something that has happened before. Why Hayden? Why?!

16. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    I said it before & i'll say it again: Yes, so long as they're good in their roles

17. startravellerearth

startravellerearth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2012
    I don't wanna see Mark give up Luke. He'd be great as a Jedi master.

kataja and Echo-07 like this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm really sick of that argument to be honest. Mark and Carrie look perfectly fine to play their roles because despite what some want to believe people do age dammit! Even in the GFFA people can't stay perpetually young and nor should they. My fat a$$ father looks very different from when he was in his 20s and I love him just the same if you can believe it. I'm not saying they shouldn't get in shape but their faces don't need to be CGI'd. That would just be ridiculous.

Echo-07 likes this.
  19. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I would refuse to see it, or acknowledge its existence. The Saga would've ended at ROTJ in my mind.

If they cant get the Big 3 actors back into their roles, it would be better just to not have those characters appear at all. I would at least go see that.

Echo-07 likes this.
  20. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    Woah there bro I never said I wanted new actors to replace them. You guys are all right in the sense that Mark, Carrie and Harrison should reprise their roles. That absolutely should happen. I'm just not against new actors if and only if Mark, Carrie and Harrison can't be Onboard.

And as for people aging like that in real life? Sure, you are right about that. But they have to be recognizable at least. I mean really, they don't look at all much like they used to. And no matter what I'm pretty sure there's gonna be some kind of effects to tune up what the heroes look like no matter who plays them.

And heck I still love my father too even though he's not in his prime anymore.

We just disagree, not completely. But we disagree. Whatever.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Perhaps I was a little too strong in my post and I apologize if it offended you. The father remark was really just a joke (although my dad is fat!) However, we definitely do disagree because I think Mark and Carrie look close enough to their younger selves for there to be no problem with them reprising their roles without the use of CGI.

Episode Swag likes this.
  22. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I'd still see it, but I would be kinda bummed. I really think Mark as old man Luke is just too cool a thing to pass up. Carrie and Harrison are just a bonus if they appear...Luke is the must have if they are going with a time line of 30 years after ROTJ or so. If they want to go closer to ROTJ, then they'll have to recast.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd much rather have new characters. It would only make sense to recast everyone if it was set 5-10 years after ROTJ.

24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    No, no, and hell no. But I'll never have to worry over it.

Come on people, get creative. Remake Star Wars the way The Seven Samurai has been redone. The way Kurosawa himself re-interpreted Shakespeare and John Ford's westerns.

Speaking of which, I'd be very interested in a re-interpretation of Star Wars in feudal Japan.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I'd still watch it, I'm willing to let them go, my childhood has already been raped so to speak.