main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Grymestone, Nov 5, 2012.

1. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, and it was one I could only go one way with. Going full-blown DS there had an unacceptably high casualty count.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Was fun though :p

3. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    For you, maybe. Killing Jolee, Juhani, Mission, and Big Z ... kinda takes something out of it. For me, much of the fun in RPGs is the party NPCs, and that wipes half of them out. It's the same reason even my most dickish Commander Shepard hasn't blown off Garrus, shot Wrex, or ignored crew loyalty missions.

Besides, having two Jedi on the final assault turned it into an absolute rampage. That was perhaps my biggest issue with KoTOR I - for the most part, lightsabers or even vibroswords >> guns. In KoTOR II I at least got to pwn saber-wielding Sith with blasters; in Nadd's tomb I put Visas on point with a saber/shoto combo and backed her up with a gunslinger Atton and a sniper/rocketeer Mira.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Given you can only take two of them with you into the Star Forge, it doesn't matter IMO if most of them die.

If I'm Dark Side I only use Bastilla, HK or Canderous who are all still available for the Forge levels. Everyone else isn't needed so the fact they are dead or sitting on the Ebon Hawk is unimportant for me.

It is easier Light Side having two Jedi in Juhani & Jolee on the Forge with you, but it is doable without them.

In ME you need most of your allies for 3 games, especially for the end of ME2.

5. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I am starting a new play through soon! Love this game! Playing both back to back is the best way to go

6. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    What order do you all go through the planets? Generally I go.....

Taris - cuz I have to
    Dantooine - Cuz I have to (I always return to dantooine to hunt hounds and buy/sell stuff before I advance to the next planet)
    Tatooine - Because I can pick up HK-47 and by this time the side quests for Mission, Bastilla and Canderous are here (I always return to Tantooine to hunt wraids)
    kashyyyk - I head here next to pick up Jolee and because missions side quest needs me to head here.
    Manaan - I like to save Korriban for last so be default this planet is the next place
    Korriban - I save this for last because it is a sith world and so the story seems to me to work best with this planet coming last, taking the fight more to the sith

Of course the rest of the game there isn't really a choice. I hit dantooine and tatooine many times during the game to hunt and trade, this has worked out great for me because it helps boost my XP just a little bit and I always take different NPCs out with me on these planets which is fun as well.

AronAgmar likes this.
  7. Mr Tibbs

Mr Tibbs Jedi Padawan

Jan 13, 2013
    Because of this thread I am going to bust out my modded Xbox tomorrow and start a play through of KOTOR I. I must have played these games through at least 5 times each. My Prima guides area falling apart! Lol

I loved these games sooo much and a HD collection would be fantastic! They just don't look the same on a 58 inch plasma tv as they used to on a 24 inch SD tv.

8. Juicebox52

Juicebox52 Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2013
    I beat KOTOR for the first time just recently, and it easily made its way into my top 10 favorite games. I've tried plenty of times in the pass to play through the game, but was deterred by a bunch of bugs and glitches (My computer hates Lucas arts). I was very happy to finally finish the game after years of trying. I could ramble on and on about parts of this game I loved, but the story was what completed the game for me. This was one of the first Old republic era novel or game i have ever gotten very interested in. I ordered the sequel off Amazon, can't wait to play it as well.

9. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Taris - no choince
    Dantooine - no choice
    Kashyyk - very easy world, a concular helps you in the beginning
    Tatooine - HK. Killing Sand People.
    Manaan - Beautiful world. Killing sharks.
    Korriban - The Sith world, it makes sense in the end. It is difficult too, I can't imagine how it is to go there without being leveled up.

Multiple visits on Yavin space station (three times I think, to get all the good stuff)

In Kotor 2 my usual order is:
    Telos - No choice
    Onderon/Dxun - Dxun is one of my favorite SW world and it's beautiful. Canderus Ordo too.
    Dantooine - Good to visit again that planet and to see what has changed.
    Korriban - well strangely easy
    Nar Shaada - hard, very hard, the duels in which Exile is not. Obviously at this time Exile is unstoppable but there are plenty of duels without her.
    Onderon/Dxun - To finally talk with Kavar
    Dantooine - Oops, the masters are gone.

10. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012

interesting, we do KOTOR 1 the same basically other than switching kashyyyk and tatooine

11. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    Yeah. Tatooine is canonically before Kashyyk (at least Bastilla mentions it before Kashyyk). Anyway, I tried in that order in the first time, and now the cycle repeats itself.

12. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    interesting, we do KOTOR 1 the same basically other than switching kashyyyk and tatooine[/quote]
    Yeah. Tatooine is canonically before Kashyyk (at least Bastilla mentions it before Kashyyk). Anyway, I tried in that order in the first time, and now the cycle repeats itself.[/quote]

tatooine i like to go to as quick as i can not just becuz of an added party member but also becuz several of the NPCs side stories want to go there first, then kashyyyk is next for missions sidequest, so it works very smoothly that way

13. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    I could never really get in to Kotor I don't know why?. So I can't remember the sequence. But for Kotor2 it was always

Telos - No choice
    Nar Shaada - I liked getting Mira, she was probably my favourite. I always thought this was an easy one to start with especially when it came to lightsaber stuff.
    Dxun - Mandalore. I also love the jungle atmosphere.
    Korriban - I liked this planet, not really much to do. But what you did do was fun.
    Onderon - I liked the missions with one party going one place and another going to another.
    Dantooine - I never like that jedi whatshisname?. Nothing really much to do.

That has always been the order I think anyway. I must admit I did go to Dantooine first but it was purely to pick up your named crystal did was it.

14. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    Nihilus was definitely under-utilized. I expected him to be the main bad guy and be really hard to defeat. You barely even see him before you get on his ship. It would have been nice to have seen him destroy a planet (like Malak and Taris) or do some other evil stuff just to build his character up a little.

15. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    All the bad guys where under used in my opinion, but at least Traya and Sion were good fights. Plus what I liked about the last 2 was that it was one on one, for some reason I didn't like the whole 3 on 1 against Nihilus, it just gave the impression it was going to take a lot for him to kill all 3 of you. Also if you where playing darkside the Jedi's weren't up to much either, never really had any trouble against them.

16. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    The bad guys were pretty cool i thought

17. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    There were cool, just under used. Nihilus you only saw twice and Sion I think 3 times. Sion starts from chasing you from the very start on Peragus to giving up after you escape and doesn't bother afterwards. It would have been better for him to have at least chased you a few more times during the game, rather then just casually running in to him on Korriban. Well that's what I think anyway.

18. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    You don't see Nihilus much but if you are engaged in conversation you hear about him a ton. You don't see him much becuz in many ways he is the one that is in the shadows, sion is the one who is way out there.

19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I've played KOTOR 1 a bunch of times. However I liked KOTOR 2 better, probably because of the darker tone it had (guess I like a bit more serious stuff :p). But, yeah I have to agree they are the best SW games yet.

AronAgmar and Ambervikings91 like this.
  20. AronAgmar

AronAgmar Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    KOTOR I & II are easily two of the greatest games I've ever played, I'd easily place them both in my "Top-5" and one of them for sure would be #1.

I first played KOTOR when I was about 13 years old and I'm convinced that game alone made my teenage years awesome. Never has a video game made something seem so real, it was absolutely amazing. So amazing that I've played both games well over 20 times. EVERY time I play, there's always something new, a new piece of dialog, something new to see, different party combos at different times, ect. and that all makes each replay worth it. I adore those games. I just finished playing The Sith Lords last month, this time with the latest update on the Restored Content Mod. I still feel the same excitement and immense enjoyment every time I play and that's how I know they're so special.

For me, Knights of the Old Republic truly brought Star Wars to life on a personal level. It was the ice cream next to what was already the world's greatest cake.

Rawne, Lord Revan and Ambervikings91 like this.
  21. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    Totally, I love the story and using different characters, it is my favorite part of star wars!

22. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    I guess. I just would have liked to see Sion a bit more. I'm also still upset at the complete hash jobs that people have made of there stories after Kotor2, and that they decided to write an ending instead of making another game.

23. TheRevanchist

Dec 13, 2012
    I think that while Kotor 2 was a very good game, it still was a big 'what if' could be. Everything after Kreia killed the masters was extremely rushed and at-least for me didn't let the game to be on my top tier list of games.

The original Kotor though was absolutely brilliant, with it I refound the love for Star Wars again, and it is a game that I wouldn't change nothing from it. It is hard to say that a game is the best ever, but if I would be pushed than very likely my choice would be KOTOR (though some of the Final Fantasy games like VI and VII, Deus Ex, Dragon Age: Origin and Mass Effect comes there and is really hard to pick a choice).

24. AronAgmar

AronAgmar Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012
    My opinion would be the same as yours about KOTOR 2 if I had not played it with the Restored Content Mod. The original game by itself was a disappointment compared to the first one. It was way too rushed and glitched to hell. On a couple of my playthroughs, the game glitched to a point where it was impossible to continue on. It was a shame to play compared to the first one because it had SO much potential. The story was great, the characters where well planned out, and it was a beautiful game visually.

The Restored Content Mod changed the game tremendously, it's hard to believe how much if you haven't played it yourself. The mod SAVED the game! The people who made that mod deserve a reward because they brought back stuff that was cut and incorporated back into the game and made it WORK! It was mostly little things, but they stretch from beginning to the very end. Of course, we all know that it's the little things that really make the series so good. I encourage you to give KOTOR II a chance again with that mod (if you haven't already and have it on the PC, that is.) That mod itself moved the game higher on my list then I ever thought imaginable. KOTOR II became the sequel the first one deserved with that mod.

What you said about the original I am with you 100%. That game is as close to perfection as they get!

25. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Apr 16, 2013
    Does anybody know if you can get the Mission Vao armband in Kotor2?. I've heard that you can and I also think there was some reference by Carth Onasi at the end where he meets the exile, the exile says "Is this armband familiar" and then Onasi replies "Yes it belonged to a good friend" or something like that anyway. It's just I've never been able to get my hands on it.