main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Who do you want to direct Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by PrincessKenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    But back to Star Wars... I think Fincher's better suited to thrillers and dramas than action/adventure. Benjamin Button was probably the closest thing he's come to trying to direct something with "whimsy" and charm and even that still looked and felt pretty bleak. I'm a Fincher fan, don't get me wrong, but he's been directing for a long time and nothing he's done has ever screamed Star Wars to me. He's very good at what he does and he's carved out a unique niche for himself but that has a lot to do with the fact that he's specialized in making things that don't remind much of Star Wars or ET or Raiders at all.

I realize that for some people... that's exactly what makes him an intriguing choice but I'm not one of them. I'd argue that the Wachowski's offer similarly stylized and bleak visuals to that of Fincher (Fight Club and the Matrix look pretty similar in terms of atmosphere) and Bound looked pretty similar to "The Game" before that but at least they've also handled some action/adventure. Same goes for Nolan obviously. But again... I don't see either as being good choices for Star Wars. The Batman saga needed that grittiness to capture the best of Frank Miller's work.

I think Star Wars needs somebody that's versatile with looks. You want some of outdoor stuff to look bright and warm and the indoor stuff to look cold and bleak.

Echo-07 likes this.
  2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think there's going to some sort of announcement this week. The reason why I think something will land this week is because the fourth part of the video interview was actually supposed to be released yesterday (26th). As we all know they pushed it back a week. Why would they do that?

3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matthew Vaughn please. If I could have found some of the sword duels in Stardust online I'd have included them opposite some saber duels, too. There are some epic vista shots in Stardust and Xmen: First Class as well. Vaughn is perfect for this as evidenced by some of the visuals above. Plus, he's got a good comedic touch as evidenced by Kickass. Charles Xavier's mind tricks were even more advanced than jedi mind tricks. Magneto's magnetic lifts weren't any different than Yoda's or Vader's or the Sidious' force lifts. Robert Downey Jr helped make Iron Man what it was, just as Johnny Depp helped elevate Pirates. Favereau and Verbinski benefited from the box office charmisma of both of those leading men. The character archs in Xmen first class were far more complex than anything found in Ironman.

4. The McDougal Bugle

The McDougal Bugle Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2012
    Well Colin Trevorrow has totally denied Episode VII:
    "To clarify, there is another film we all love that I'm currently trying not to mess up. Odds I will direct Episode VII: 3720 to 1."
    "It’s not going to be me for Episode VII, and I can’t believe I’ve actually had to come out and say that," Trevorrow told The Hollywood Reporter at the IFP Gotham Awards on Monday. "That was the most shocking thing, like around the dinner table when I was 8, I had to assure everyone that it wasn’t me, but now actually for real. But there are a lot of things that have come up that are a lot of exciting opportunities that have come up because of [Safety]."
    So Episode VIII then?

5. Alone_In_Kyoto

Alone_In_Kyoto Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2012
    Brad Bird. No contest

6. Alone_In_Kyoto

Alone_In_Kyoto Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2012
    I mean, honestly. Give the child prodigy of animation a chance. He is basically the American equivalent of Miyazaki (as far as his animated films are concerned), and unlike Andrew Stanton, he proved himself remarkably well with his first live action directorial debut. This guy has been waiting for an opportunity like this to come along

7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I almost wouldn't mind any number of "the next generation of directors." A lot of very good to great names have been mentioned but almost all of them have said they're not in the running. So there aren't many names left out there that haven't declined. Here are a few I can think of Del Toro, Blomkampf, Favreau. I'd take any of those guys. Matt Vaughn would make an excellent choice but he's out.

8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Echo-07 likes this.
  9. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Not reliable, but interesting.

10. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Oooo, new gossip. I like it! Vaughn's a good choice.

Few quick thoughts:

The guys who do the ForceCast felt that Vaughn wasn't out of the running as of their last cast
    That article has also stated, as fact, that Kasdan and Kinberg are also on board

Exciting times once again!

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Popping up all over the net that Vaughn is in.....

12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I hope this prompts Lucasfilm to make an announcement really soon. I hope it's Vaughan but I am trying not to get my hopes up because rumors always fly and seem certain even when they aren't.

But yes.... one can hope.

13. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I really hope Vaughn is in, he'd be so good.

14. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Spielberg has to do a Star Wars film. I think it is a test for all great directors. That means you Scorcese, Zemeckis, Cameron, Tarantino and Clint "The New Irvin Kershner" Eastwood. What a trilogy that would be. Cue Morgan Freeman. DiCaprio, Hanks, DeNiro, Samuel L Jackson

15. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Peter Jackson is sitting somewhere reading your post and laughing hysterically...

Peter should make these, theyd be incredible

16. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    Jon Favreau, Steven Soderbergh, Tim Burton.

17. Aizakku Rorensu

Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2013
    While I'm not too concerned about who the director will be, if I were to choose among the names bandied about, I would go with David Fincher.

And if I can't have David Fincher for Episode VII, then hopefully he and Disney will go on ahead and do 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.

18. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Clint Eastwood!

Jedi Dirtui Harrini: "Do you feel lucky, Punk! Well! Do ya?"

DarthBlanco likes this.
  19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Ridley Scott?

No, my money is on Vaughn, before the end of the month.

20. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Not Sir Ridley. Not after Prometheus.

Boxster likes this.
  21. bergstrom

bergstrom Jedi Master star 2

Jan 26, 2004
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Funny the wildly different views that so many had of that movie. I thought Prometheus was awesome. Roper gave it an A+, Ebert gave it a great review, many loved it. Then, many hatred it, such as yourself I suppose. Anyhow, we would all be shocked if he were to direct SW.

23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Boxster likes this.
  24. bergstrom

bergstrom Jedi Master star 2

Jan 26, 2004
    Richie Cunningham?? It's an article about RON HOWARD!!

25. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Terry Gilliam, Alfonso Cuarón, Rian Johnson.