main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    .Well given the way he keeps teasing the fans in recent interviews.... Tennant I mean. I replied before Mar17swgirl posted.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'd still pick Tennant, though. I'm sorry, but he's still a better actor than McGann and always brings a lot to the table. I don't think McGann is particularly owed anything, but it would be nice to be able to see some of Eight actually in action on the show. I want him there more for the story than for something McGann "deserves".

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I liked McGann in Luther. I wouldn't mind him being heavily featured, though of course I'd enjoy Tennant as well.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I guess to be fair I haven't seen McGann in anything else. I'm not saying he's bad. I'm just saying I think the 50th should be about putting together the best story possible, not delving too much into fan or actor service.

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Not sure why McGann wasn't picked to lead the re-launch of the show back in 2005. Even if he only did one series and made way for Eccleston who in turn would have made way for Tennant it still would have been good.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm guessing RTD didn't want the onus of all the other 8th Doctor audio stories and such. He probably wanted to be able to start fresh, and since he knew he wanted to have the Time War as the backstory for NuWho, he wanted to be able to do whatever he liked without fans worrying. Also, if your goal is to get new fans (as obviously was the case for NuWho), you're not going to want to start wit han established version of the Doctor. Then fans feel like they might not understand it unless they watch or listen to other stuff. And the last thing you want to send them looking into is the TV movie.

Also, if you're a showrunner for Doctor Who, one of the absolute best things about it has to be getting a chance to create your own version of the Doctor. RTD had no idea he'd get to create two. For all he knew, it was never getting past one series and I'm sure he didn't want to doddle on the chance to write the Doctor precisely how he wanted, rather than beholden to a previous incarnation (who was also, according to the film, half-human... more annoying backstory that might be confusing. Obviously if Eight is in the 50th that'll be entirely dropped, but it might not have been as easy to do in the series main if fans already had that notion in their minds).

Everton likes this.
  7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I agree with everything you say there, Rachel. :)

But I also agree with Maria that Eight deserves the screen time more than Ten. I can understand that Tennant is a better actor than McGann (and agree), but if only one Doctor has to appear than delving back a little further than Ten would be a little more satisfying - if we're looking back. Ten is still pretty fresh. Both would be awesome, though. Even more awesomer ( :p ) would be Seven through Eleven.

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    If Eccelston would get off his high horse and participate, I would die of happiness.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    My gut feeling is that he'll do it. Sure, it's a gut feeling based on nothing but the lack of a recent outright denial... but I'm clinging to it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    If only Eccleston would overcome his (I guess) dislike for the show and appear in the anniversary, even in a small part... *wistful sigh* Heck, I'd even take a cameo in the style of Wolverine in "X-Men: First Class". :p

Miana Kenobi and Juliet316 like this.
  11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I think he owes his participation. Once you sign up to play The Doctor - even if you bail after one series - you have a responsibility to return for a guest appearance if asked. If you're not prepared to give a little more than you would usually give to a show once you have it on your CV, then don't sign up in the first place.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    If you want to see 10, you have 3 series and about 10 specials you can watch. If you want to see 8, there's just a dreadful TV movie. 8 needs to be seen more. 10 doesn't. As much as I do like Tennant, I'd much rather see McGann.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I suppose the argument against Eight is that he's not all that familiar to the casual audience. Is his potential only really obvious to, and does his lack of opportunity only bother... well... people like us? It might be perceived as strange to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the show by using a Doctor unfamiliar to many of those watching. Such things might dissuade the BBC from making him a major player in the anniversary. Focusing on Ten is the easy option.

14. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    On the contrary, people might get excited to see a Doctor they've never seen before. People have to wonder.

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Maybe so. I just wondered if something they've not seen before is what the broader audience expects to see in an anniversary show, and whether that will have any impact upon the decisions of Moffat and of the BBC.

EDIT: The anniversary has to appeal to the casual audience and the big fans like us, so I don't think there would be a problem with Eight appearing in the anniversary alongside others (casual viewers would have others to focus on)... but there might be were he the only Doctor returned (if, hypothetically, only one were to be permitted - which is kinda where the Ten versus Eight thing came from :p ).

16. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    It would be foolish to JUST have on Doctor come back..,

Right?

RIGHT????

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Probably, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a good two-hander.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    And Eccelston clearly didn't think about this at all when he signed up. He's never seemed to give a damn about the fandom, the show's place in history... he obviously should have known and was probably warned about this when he took the job. But he doesn't care about the show at all. To him, it's just another random acting job. I feel like he basically used the show as a way to get himself a lot more attention and name recognition, but had no desire to then give anything back to the fans who made him more recognizable.

In honesty, as much as I really, really want Nine to appear, if Eccleston's disdain for the show were to bleed through in his performance, I'd rather not have him. I would really hope that he could be professional and set that aside, but I don't know. He just seems so openly contemptuous about it any time he's asked.

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I'm sure he's professional enough not to let it taint his performance.

Or they could play it for lulz, like I mentioned, in a "Wolverine in First Class" style: a small cameo where he could show all the contempt he wanted. :p

20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Maybe it's one loooong ruse, designed to put us off the scent and set in motion when he left the show. :p

Random Comments and Mar17swgirl like this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, just set the appearance immediately post - Time War, just prior to meeting Rose, where he's calling humanity 'apes' and problem solved.:p

Anyway, I get the gut feeling that one Doctor over another is mute at this point. I get the feeling we will indeed have multiple Doctors, even if it's just for one superlong episode.

That reminds me:

Interview with Bernard Cribbins and RTD (I want Wilf back for the 50th annivsary!)

BBCA's plans for the 50th (If ever there was a network that more than owed it's existance to DW's revival...)

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Moot, not mute. /nitpicking :p

EDIT: Unless you literally meant a Doctor who wouldn't say a word, communicating in sign language only. Or eyebrow language, in case of Three... :p

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    No, I meant moot. I typed moot, and then I erased it to add something and somehow on redo, it came out mute.

Although one or more Doctors being mute in the special would be an interesting touch. Or maybe even a S8 episode with Eleven being unable to talk for an entire episode.....

Edit: I can't spell for anything tonight.

Random Comments likes this.
  24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    He'd have to learn how to sign "Bow ties are cool." :p

Random Comments and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well maybe Clara (or whoever she ultimately ends up being), can learn to read Gallifreyian.:p