main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation VULTURE: Zack Snyder Is Developing a Star Wars Film Outside the New Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Jan 14, 2013.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

That's slightly different, people know George is involved but they think it's just the bad ideas are his, like Sky-guy as a nickname or having Jar Jar in it. That perception is also helped by the writers when they talk about an idea which they know is not good like the above and say that was "oh yeah that was George's idea" etc.

I do agree about the Stawars forumla and what works. Which is why the whole Soprano's, gangster style adult TV show idea, is bad because it's not Stawars.

As for Snyder its a mixed reaction. One of the big criticisms of the PT was the overabundance of CGI and blue screen. The idea of hiring a guy known for CGI films did make me go :confused:

2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Since I was at work and missed most of the late action -- denials and insistances -- I will just add my final thoughts on this rumor:

* Not a rumor per se, but Snyder actually did meet with LFL to dicuss an offshoot movie that George wrote a treatment for, one of his "other movies"
    * I think Zack Snyder is a fine filmmaker and I don't care what others opinion of him is -- as someone already mentioned the writing has more to blame with his movies than him and that's a statement that applies to alot of filmmakers
    * I think his use of CGI is better than most anyone else in HW, which makes him qualified to direct SW which is almost sure to be FX heavy
    * Even if Snyder does not do this off-shoot, the idea of a "LOOSELY" based movie about some Jedi protecting a world from [Mandalorian-type] raiders as an off-shoot to the ST is a very exciting idea

3. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...oduction-of-vii.50006725/page-2#post-50281958

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/staying-away-from-predictability.50008159/page-3

:)

4. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    The film will be less childish which should be a HUGE plus for a lot of Star Wars fans who though the story of Darth Vader which was told in the prequels was a tad simplistic, but I have a feeling it will be true to Star Wars form, just a tad more complicated. A more mature feel. This is one good thing about spin offs, TV shows and a new trilogy. There's bound to be something for everyone's tastes at some point.

5. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Agree with all those saying this shouldn't just be discounted just yet. Vulture sticking by their story and sources. Reps lie all the time. Anyone remember LFL denying Harry Knowles' scoop that Ewan McGregor had been signed when he had been? It may or may not pan out, but clearly Snyder has met with Kennedy about a possible interest in a future Star Wars project.

Darth Chiznuk and Echo-07 like this.
  6. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Visually a Zack Snyder Star Wars could be very interesting. And if it gets the right writer could be awesome too.

And I'm pretty sure, if this comes true of course, that if they are giving Snyder a Star Wars film outside the new trilogy, it's because they already have someone better for helming episode 7.

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Kinda curious about where this might go. Snyder's first two films were basically slavish adaptations of comics..that's not very hard. We'll see with Man Of Steel next year how he does on his own, albeit with probably the most prominent superhero director and writer looming over him.

8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    No, Vulture's already issued a statement about that; they're standing by their original article.

krtmd and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Methinks they don't want to give up their trolling efforts. (if they originally released this statement about Zack's involvement) :p

I found more sources that deny his involvement
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...k-snyder-preparing-stand-alone-211817305.html

http://www.slashfilm.com/zack-snyder-developing-star-wars-samurai-movie-for-lucasfilm/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-shoots-down-report-412336

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Hmm...we'll see, I guess. :p

12. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I think he'll be too busy in the years to come anyway. :p

Maybe he'll reconsider after 2015

13. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I wouldn't say they are trolling. They just believe their sources to be accurate, and see the potential in reps lieing like they tend to do. Not saying the article will end up being true, but there is zero reason to think they are trolling their readers and reporting information that they really believe to be false.

14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Sarcasm.

But then again, with other sources posting denial news, they are supposedly standing by their original article. [face_thinking]

15. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    The sites picking up the denial stories are just running the Hollywood Reporter's story, just as they ran the original Vulture story. There are only two stories/ sources here.

16. Aizakku Rorensu

Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2013
    Yeah, but it's not like it's multiple sources reporting multiple denials. It's multiple sources reporting on the one Hollywood Reporter denial. Just like it was multiple sources reporting on the one Vulture story.

EDIT: Yeah, what Finley Slade said. :D

At the end of the day I find it hard to believe that Vulture just made up something out of whole cloth. Something happened. Whatever it was, who knows. But something happened.

And it's perfectly understandable to deny it. You don't want spin-off movie news out ahead of your primary movie news.

(And on denying and Zack Snyder: didn't Zack Snyder himself say that there would be no General Zod in his Man of Steel movie?)

17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    At the end of the day, however, it still shows that Vulture was incorrect. ;)

18. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think Vulture is 100% wide of the mark - no smoke without fire and all that...

I think what's happened is, someone at Vulture, who are still standing by their sources, may have jumped the gun and LFL/ Disney/ Snyder have gone into denial mode through THR. Here, for what it's worth is what Harry Knowles has to say:

What to believe? Well, I've been dealing with Lucasfilm for ages. Even before I had AICN, technically speaking. I've had them flat out deny things like Ewan MacGregor as OB1 - even though he had already be signed, it just wasn't WHEN they wanted it known. Zack is PRESENTLY not involved in any way with the new STAR WARS. The reality is this. EVEN if Zack met with Kennedy and they discussed the story that the "VULTURE" broke - they'd never ever confirm it because... even if it were true, there's no deal - and there wouldn't be a deal until Zack was at a point where he could seriously contemplate his post MAN OF STEEL. Not only that, but I bet we won't hear about ANY projects that they're doing until the otherside of the EPISODE VII announcement... sometime this year. I know that Kathleen Kennedy is meeting with a lot of filmmakers - and I know that George has been talking with other filmmakers too. There's ALOT of ideas being floated. Off the record I've heard things that sound similar to what I imagine might have happened with Snyder. Where a filmmaker(s) has/have had a conversation with Kennedy, these conversations (so I've heard) have explored the filmmaker(s) interests in directing STAR WARS 7, but then the conversation turns into being "What would you be interested in doing in the Star Wars universe?" - And that conversation might one day be the basis for an interesting reality. Many avenues and ideas are being considered. The rumor mill is FULL. Expect a lot more of these things to happen. It's part of the joy of STAR WARS productions... the dreams and bs entwined with the reality of Star Wars. The fun is just getting started.

19. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    All it shows is Vulture reported what info it's sources gave them, and someone who is equally capable of not telling the truth has denied this info. Again, not saying at all that Vulture is correct, but I would say it is still a little to close to call. I think there is a pretty heavy grain of truth at least somewhere in this.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I actually somewhat agree with what Finley said, they may have (or obviously) jumped the gun. However, I don't think this Zack project is legitimate, unless they are bringing in Zack.

21. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, whether this is true or not, or just a possible new spinoff one thing we overlooked is where Kasdan and Kinberg are in this whole process. Disney still has yet to confirm or deny their involvement in anything. Could they be developing this "Seven Jedi" spinoff? Are they prepping Episodes 8 & 9?

IMO one key to watch with future rumors is what the other K & K are doing as well.

22. Aizakku Rorensu

Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2013
    And that makes the most sense.

So Vulture's story is right, and Hollywood Reporter's story is right. And Disney's position: No, we are not putting out spin-off news before Episode VII news.

And then they'll announce Disney XD stuff, and live-action ABC stuff (if any), and then comics and books and toys and lunch boxes and whatever else.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I really really liked Watchmen for its visual flair and Jackie Earl Haley. 300 was mostly slow-mo which was alright I suppose.
    Slow-mo lightsaber battles?

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I have no doubt he would create some utterly breathtaking lightsaber battles. Duel of the Fates eat your heart out.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Space battles would be a visual mind **** as well I bet.