main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT STAR WARS 1.1 THE PHANTOM EDIT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jimslendorn, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimslendorn

jimslendorn Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2013
    I recently watched the phantom edit and was very pleased wondering what you guys have seen it or like it P.S. I am NOT a fan of the unedited phantom menace but however did like the edited version

2. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
  3. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Prefer the original.

4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I prefer the director's version any day. Egotistical fan editors can blow it out their thermal exhaust ports.

5. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    It's crap in every way. And I'm not against fan edits. I have seen one I liked.

Alexrd likes this.
  6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Happen to dislike fan edits. Period.

7. jimslendorn

jimslendorn Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2013
    are you a fan of the original?

8. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the Lucas version of TPM well enough, although I could live without it, if that's what you're asking. But I'm much more a fan of the original trilogy than PT. I saw The Phantom Edit and it was a thoughtless butchering of a decent to good film and I believe if you don't like TPM then Phantom Edit is only worse in every way(story wise and visual quality).

son_of_skywalker03 and DarthBoba like this.
  9. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I like it, just because I know that will send some of you guys into a frothing rage.
    [​IMG]

I applaud people who put in the effort to make an idealized version of something they like. They do more to achieve their dreams than we do sitting around complaining about other people messing with George's vision.

Darth kRud and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  10. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The Phantom Edit is very good, and it definitely opened up the door to hundreds of great corrections to the originals. I encourage the OP to keep looking around. There are edits of the rest of the PT that do a very solid job of cleaning up the unnecessary humor, creepy romance scenes, and the other various and sundry flaws.

Darth kRud likes this.
  11. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Zandalor, never will I begrudge these editors from fulfilling their dreams and aspirations! Oh the heights of human endeavours! To edit an orange frog from a Space Robot movie!

Count Yubnub and Alexrd like this.
  12. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    It is actually quite an accomplishment to remove an orange frog from a space robot movie. This technology is revolutionary and game changing. From now on, no matter what version any director chooses to release, the best edit of the material will be the version that floats to the top. I can imagine studios even sanctioning alternative edits, if for nothing else than just to make money from them. In all likelihood, the very first movie that is likely to receive this treatment will be TPM, as it is (probably) the most frequently re-edited movie in history.

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Also look for fan fiction Vader vs. Batman novels to win the National Book Award. That should happen by 2014 at the latest.

Darth Chiznuk , Samnz and FRAGWAGON like this.
  14. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    It's a bold new world. You allude to fan fic as the most ridiculas example of "not possible" yet in the real world the biggest selling novel of recent note is the 50 shades trilogy. Unlike SW fans, fans of Twilight didn't seem to think that the movies needed fixing.

15. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm a SW fans and I never thought TPM "needed fixing".
    A friend of mine however loves the Twilight books but definitely thinks the Twilight movies are suboptimal.
    But yeah, unlike some SW fans she didn't feel the need to "fix" the movies according to her wishes but just moved on with he life.
    I think she made a wise decision.

16. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    In the real world 50 Shades was not sold or marketed as "the best edit" of existing Twilight novels. If that's your analogue for propping up The Phantom Edit as the hottest of commodities, then it's more like an alternate Episode I fan film will be started from scratch, then altered into something legally new when it's time to sign on dotted lines. You could conceivably get your magical film in that case, but it won't be The Phantom Edit.

FRAGWAGON and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  17. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Alternative edits are already happening and supplanting the originals in some circles. Fan fic is already a marketable, money making thing. It's only a matter of time. Being in denial about that doesn't make it less true.

18. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Fan fic is marketable if you're talking licensed tie-in novels. In that case the analogy wouldn't be the Phantom Edit, but Kathleen Kennedy approving a general idea for a film and then hiring a director to make that film. Again, the 50 Shades available for mass sale is not a re-edited version of one of the existing Twilight novels.

I'll grant your "some circles." But of course "some circles" means hardcore, disgruntled Star Wars fans on the Internet. (oh, the relevancy!)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Release of a re-edit already happened at LFL. They are the pioneers of releasing re-edits of existing movies.

20. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Get back to me when The Phantom Edit (or something similar) gets an official Blu-ray release. Until then I'll call obscure fan activities obscure fan activities.

21. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Some circles indeed.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think The Phantom Edit has been discussed thoroughly over the years. Nothing new here. And no discussion of fan edits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.