main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation VULTURE: Zack Snyder Is Developing a Star Wars Film Outside the New Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I HATE slow-motion as a visual motif. If its used sparingly; thats perfectly fine. But using it as a defining characteristic to one visual identity, seems rather lazy or uninspired.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh I agree. If it's over-used (like in Mission Impossible 2 and every single John Woo film that came out after that) it's very distracting and irritating.

3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This is some blog with some unsourced rumors, with a disclaimer of “we r srs. srsly”

*re-designating as Speculation*

4. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    This is amazing news if true. It means we can look forward to TWO SW movies by 2015! :D

Also, I love love love the idea of multiple timeframes and movie types with different directors/producers coming out simultaneously.

1 SW movie per year for the next 50 years or so would be awesome! :D

They can scrap the tv show idea then I won't care. I would much rather have a big budget big screen movie rather than a tv show where they have a small budget.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Original story (this whole thread) was bull I think. I tend to trust the word of the actual director more than generic "sources close to ILF." People want it to be true because they are so hungry for a real piece of info, but the truth is the actual director is more likely to be giving the real story. There is no ambiguity in the denials from Snyder's people I don't think. Yes, one of these rationalizations in this thread COULD be true regarding the denials by (e.g. "It got leaked, they are doing dmage control by denying"), but the likelihood is that it ISN'T true.

I tend to think they would not be authorizing the making of a side film before they even get the big cheese (ep. 7) off the ground; that would also make it less likely to be true also.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't think that would happen. Lucas has made absolute statements that the TV show would not be cheaply made; feasibility around the cost was the hold up on making it. I think I would actually rather see Underworld than this (again, I don't think it is true anyway).

7. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    With all due respect, Vulture is the online version of NY Magazine, which I would rate a little more highly that just some blog. I've found them to be a reliable source of information in the past. That doesn't mean they aren't in the wrong here, but I don't think they're in the habit of making up information, either.

Echo-07 and FinleySlade like this.
  8. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Well the dismissal of the story came via The Hollywood Reporter, which along with Variety is the most reliable source for movie news. When they report something, you can be pretty sure it's accurate.

9. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Again, I'm not saying they're correct in this case. Only that they aren't some blog making up stuff, but an online version of a reputable magazine. I found it compelling that they're standing by their story.

FinleySlade and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    What THR is reporting - the denial from Snyder's rep - is, well... undeniable... Ahem.

But what is in question is how truthful Snyder's rep is being. These people deny things which are on the money all the time. Or, it may be that Vulture has gone early on a story that no one wants officially broken yet (or is in its early stages).

Echo-07, Darth Chiznuk and krtmd like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like the idea of handing off spin-off, unconnected Star Wars movies to different directors for one-shots and one-offs. If it's not an official "episode" title, I say let Synder go to his stylistic extremes because, in the end, it's not a proper "episode", it's just a cool story in the Star Wars universe so they can be more extreme.

I don't think spin-offs in the middle of the sequel trilogy would be the best idea. I'd vote for do the sequel trilogy, wrap up the generational skywalker saga in a bow, and then spin spin spin and riff on whatever type of Star Wars movie that you can think of. I actually hope that, if this movie is true and it would happen, that it wouldn't be even set in the ST timeline. Classic, OT era, Dark Times, etc, that would be fun.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Its still an episode it just doesn't have a numerical number tied to it. Its just like the original theatrical release of Star Wars.

It probably just has nothing to do with the Skywalker family. Good chance that the next trilogy could be the last when it comes to the Skywalker numerical films. So the Star Wars after that won't have a number attached to them, frankly I don't really care.

I do agree that the Skywalker stuff needs an ending. They need to expand on stories/characters when continuing the franchise.

13. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Dear God, no. The idea had its merit and was successfully integrated, in very small doses, into the Old Republic trailers, and while it may have worked in such an 'advertising for a video game' setting, this type of approach it is not in line at all with the visual aesthetic of the Star Wars features we all know and love. Now, I fully realize that once we are past the ST (which I strongly feel should follow/flow from the visual, musical and thematic rules set up in I-VI), any 'spin-off' projects will likely see the filmmakers set loose to explore our galaxy in new ways, but some ideas/techniques are just so grossly, I don't know, "hack-y," I guess I'd say, that I just cannot fathom the thought of embracing them. Just my opinion, of course, but ugh...

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I do agree whoever helms the ST they should adhere to the style of the previous films, which do look very similar (although arguably Empire took it up a notch visually) because they're based on a classical film style. But I wouldn't mind some "hacky" techniques in spin-off flicks, really get a chance to blow it wide open - don't open with a crawl, etc. all that jazz. I just think putting out in the middle of the ST might be a bit jarring, but I do hope when they start making "spin off" movies they aren't basically movies that already look, sound, and feel like all the Star Wars movies we've seen already.

15. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Zack Snyder is kind of terrible, so I hope not. But that's probably from the writing of his movies more than anything...

16. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    It is not the writing. It's the execution. I actually liked Watchmen but found 300 to be just okay. Did he do Sin City, too? Same look.

Either way, he uses voice overs as a device, a lot. Can u imagine that in a SW film? Ugh

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller both directed it, and Tarantino directed the scene where Benico Del Toro's character talks to Clive Owen's character in the car. 300 is based off of a Frank Miller graphic novel.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  18. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Wait... Change 7 Knights to 10... For Apocalypse of FotJ

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, I mean, once the spin-offs start to hit the big screen, having a look at how any given writer, cinematographer or director puts their own stylistic stamp on 'our' sandbox should be one of the more interesting things to come from LucasFilm's sale to to Disney. Especially if the reigns for a story are handed over to an auteur with a recognizable, strongly personal style, it will no doubt offer the audience countless avenues for dissection and discussion.

To be honest, I am really quite excited to see the kind of results we get from these folks, who will be coming at things from a new perspective and with their own new approach. I'm mostly with you as you look forward to spin-offs which "aren't basically movies that already look, sound, and feel like all the Star Wars movies we've seen already." There's simply no denying that new blood and a fresh take on the franchise carry with them the potential for woundrous new things for the GFFA.

Star Wars is an evolving thing and each new filmmaker is going to want to put their own stamp on things, of course, but personally speaking, no matter to what extent people may wish to personalize their work (and no matter how eager I am to see it happen), I think it that it's vitally important that any new project carrying the Star Wars name maintain a respect for the work of the past and take pains to never lose sight of the spirit of Star Wars. Along these lines, I feel that some of the things that are so identifiably "Star Wars" should probably be kept intact.

While many things are sure to change, the opening sequence, starting from "A long time ago..." and going straight through to the fading of the opening crawl is just one of the things which I'd hate to see fall by the wayside. The use of a classical score in Star Wars films is another good example. That said, I have to admit that l admire your enthusiasm and that it would seem I am the more conservative in this discussion, but I suppose that after 30+ years with these films, I've become quite accustomed and, well, attached to certain things. :)

As a final aside, while we both would seem happy to see VII, VIII and IX stick largely with the style and themes of the OT and PT, I'll go ahead and take it a step further and say that, personally, this hope extends not just to the ST, but to any future Star Wars film set within the Skywalker saga and given an "Episode" subtitle. This would serve to honor the traditions of the films that have come before, naturally, but even better, it could also see these new 'episodes' act as a sort of stylistic anchor for the audience as it returns from the aesthetic twists and turns of the various one-off films to come. This is not to say I want either the Skywalker story or the use of the "Episode" moniker to continue indefinitely, but if there are more of these projects to come, I'd like to see these pictures continue to be rooted in the foundation set up in I-VI (and hopefully VII-IX, too).

BigAl6ft6 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Totally agree that a proper "episode" should look like what came before, and even the "spin-offs" I think should be on a movie by movie basis. Like let's say there's an Old Republic spin off, I think the opening crawl and the Star Wars Theme blast would totally work (made a thread about this a long long time ago). However, if you start to go more into the potential of different type of Star Wars spin off movies, would it be appropriate? Like a Boba Fett spin off, would the traditional Star Wars theme horn blast and opening crawl really fit? (My other personal fav. spin off idea I saw in Hit Fix - A Salacious B. Crumb road-trip comedy movie. Quirky idea, but would it befit the pomp and circumstance that opens up a Star Wars movie?) Also the opening "crawl" is a very special moment in a Star Wars movie, if you slap that onto every single flick it's importance would start to become diluted. Of course, I'm off the opinion that if people start to make spin-offs, I'd like them to be as extremely different as possible. Which, to go back to the OP, I actually would dig a Zack Snyder Seven Samurai style Star Wars spin off. Guy makes purty, stylistically lavish movies, assuming the script is up to snuff.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  21. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    This is the exact definition of 'milked'.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Those are all based on decades-long running comic book series. If you're going to say they've been "milked" then your complaint isn't with Disney, it's with Stan Lee in the 60s.

23. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    The EU has changed a lot, i hope they made another spinoff featurng classic post ROTJ characters like Kyle Katarn, Borsk Fey´Lya, Jacen Solo, Mara Jade or Nom Anor

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    No, its not. The definition of milked would be the Saw or Friday the 13th series'. All the Marvel films work as individual movies as well as fitting into a larger world.

CoraxRD likes this.
  25. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    This thread has kind of bounced all over the place but i will say I like the idea of a spinoff that isn't an epsiode, yet runs parrallel to the ST. The idea of filling some of the gaps as to how the New Jedi Order arose and then this new threat that they face in a "loose" Seven Samurai/Jedi concept is very exciting and romantic to my mind. When I read it I had a brainstorm of all kinds of possibilties. This is something I would be more enthusiastic for Zack Snyder than say an Episode of canon.

(Of course it would still be canon but not central to the Skywalker saga, just to be clear.)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.