main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Resident Evil

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by General Immodet, Jan 13, 2013.

1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Are there any RE fans out there?
    I completely love the RE franchise.
    I love the games, I love the movies, I love the comics...

Personnaly, I think RE 1 and RE: Code Veronica were the best RE games ever made.
    The story of RE: Code Veronica was very intriguing... I still think Alfred Ashford was a great villain.

I liked it how they linked all the games together by introducing Wesker had survived his encounter with the tyrant in RE 1.

RE 6 was a great game to play. Its graphics were very good, but I did not like its story.
    After they dibanded the Umbrella Corporation and killed off Wesker and Spencer, they apparently couldn't come up with a good story.
    Its main characters (Chris and Leon) are a bit too old to be superheroes saving the day, so...
    They introduced Wesker's son, but I think they should not have done that.

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I made a RE6 thread some months ago before it came out but it didn't get many replies. Frankly, I think the series peaked with RE4. 5 was OK and after playing 6 I came to the realization that it's just not the series I used to love. Too much action and not enough puzzles, exploring, or even much horror. I couldn't even bring myself to finish Leon's campaign in RE6 and from what I've heard that's the most "old school" of them. :(

The spooky "alone" atmosphere that the earlier games provided is just gone. Instead of conserving ammo and hoping I can take out the zombie in the next room with a single headshot, I'm now running through war torn cities shooting everything I see with a CPU partner or even worse, a random person from the internet who invades my game without my say-so. I wish I hadn't sold my copies of RE Zero or the Gamecube REmake. I'd love to pop either of those in my Wii and play though again.

General Immodet likes this.
  3. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I did watch your RE 6 thread. :)
    Indeed! There are not many RE fans on this forum.

The whole Las Plagas thing was a creative way to relaunch the series.
    I like the idea of having a parasite control your body.

RE Zero was good! Marcus! :)

I am particulary interested in the leadership of Umbrella (Spencer, Marcus, Ashford).

Maybe the RE series should go back were it started and be a bit more like RE1.
    Maybe a new RE game could be about that organization Wesker and Wong were temporaliry working for.

4. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I started playing RE 1 back when it came out on the Playstation but stopped because of the horrible controls (and, if I'm being honest with myself, because it was really scary). I've since played RE4 on both the GameCube and Wii and loved it.

I've tried to get into the series, but survival horror isn't usually my genre.

5. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I agree. The controls are indeed horrible in some RE games. RE1 was not the only one...
    The purpose of the RE series is creating games which are scary. As Darth-Lando and I were discussing earlier on, the series is really losing its way to scare people.

What kind of games do play if I may ask?
    Personally, I am not much of a gamer, so...
    I seldomly play games.

6. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    I usually play RPGs but I like a good FPS every now and then. Right now I'm playing Skyrim.

Have you ever played any Silent Hill games? I think you'd like the atmosphere of those games.

7. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Up till now, I have not played RPGs since everytime I try to play one, I somehow get a virus on my PC.
    That is why I never played SW Galaxies.
    A friend of mine tried to install TOR, but his computer crashed due to a virus...

I have not played Skyrim yet, but I did like Oblivion and Morrowind!
    I like games in which you can do whatever you want. Exploring and such things... I love wandering in desolate landscapes...
    A friend of mine told me Skyrim was not as good as Oblivion.
    What do you think (well, I am assuming you played Oblivion, so if you did not...)?

I did watch the Silent Hill movie, but I never played it yet.
    As I said, I am not much of a gamer, so...
    But I do think you are right. SH might be something for me.

8. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Oblivion got pretty boring after a while. All of the Oblivion gates were pretty much the same, and I had nerfed the game by figuring out you could stack chameleon on each piece of armor and get like 120% or something. That really broke the game, but was entirely my fault.

So far I like Skyrim more than Oblivion. I mean, you get to kill dragons! It's also a huge world. I've only been to three towns and I already have a 20 or so side quests queued. You'd probably like it.

How was the Silent Hill movie? I didn't even realize they made one.

9. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Skyrim really is amazing, of course I haven't played any of the Elder Scrolls games before. I also have a slightly funky perk setup, because I didn't really know what I was doing in the beginning. I would like to think Skyrim will appeal to your desire for exploration, General Immodet.

10. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    I think they even made two. I only saw the first one. It featured Sean Bean, Laurie Holden and Kim Coates. I did not know the other actors.
    The movie was fun to watch, but it was not great. Sometimes it even made me think of RE.
    It was nice to see the devil in the form of young girl. The end is quite ambiguous.

The gates were pretty much the same, indeed. I did destroy half of them. Then I quit and ended the main quest.
    Sometimes Oblivion got stuck. Some quests were unable to play out due to something being wrong with the game itself...

Skyrim is indeed a game I would like to play in the future.
    The only problem is that it is a massive game. When am I ever going to finish it?
    A friend of mine told me he thought the oblivion creatures were more exciting than the dragons, but I guess that depends on what you like.
    He thought Skyrim was not really a sequel to Oblivion as Oblivion was to Morrowind.

Idem. Thanks for the advice!

11. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Resident Evil 2 and Code Veronica are the best in the series IMHO. Resident Evil 3 Nemesis is my favorite of the series.

12. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I just beat RE5 on Veteran, collected all the treasure, and upgraded all the weapons. This is the first RE game I actually finished and actually enjoyed. Bummer you can't bring all your infinite weapons to Mercenaries. It'd be great stress relief to gun down wave after wave of opponents with my rocket launcher.

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I despised RE6. It's funny how an action game can get really boring really quick. The best one in the series is probably RE4, but 2 and Code Veronica are right behind it. 0 was actually the first game I played, and not having item boxes really made for some interesting choices. I found myself lugging all my spare equipment from room to room.

14. Hev_Tux

Hev_Tux Jedi Knight

Mar 15, 2007
    RE4 is the only one I played and liked but I LOVE that game. Played it probably at least 10 times.

Didn't care for 5 but the mercenaries coop was fun

Didn't play the others because i cant handle fixed camera mode. I have been told they are all great. Resident evil 4 is one of those games that is just soooooo friggin good though. For reasons I just cant really put my finger on.

15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Resident Evil 1-4 was fantastic. Code Veronica was awesome.

I will not say that RE5 and RE6 were bad games. Just not scary. They were enjoyable, well made games in their own right. Resident Evil Revelations tried to take Resident Evil back to its roots, but I think its episodic nature was problematic, and I haven't played Revelations 2 but I'm sure given its episodic structure its probably going to make me just as irked.

I am a huge horror fan, and I'm extremely miffed that we haven't had very good console horror games as of late. The indie scene sucks, because whatever original idea for a game comes out (Slender, Five Nights At Freddy's) people just copy paste it and try to make it their own and it doesn't really end up working. I was never a huge fan of the Amnesia or Penumbra games. They just don't really do it for me.

My all time favorite horror games are Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill 2 and 4. I know Silent Hill 4 is not the most popular, but its atmosphere really helps make you, the player, feel utterly and hopelessly alone.

P.T. could've been developed into something amazing, but Konami just couldn't keep itself running long enough to get out a good game. I'm hoping that Del Toro and Kojima can still make the game they wanted to make some day.

Life likes this.
  16. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Resident Evil/Biohazard is AMAZING / enough said...(Huuge Fan here)

I am someone who loves the whole main series (0-6, Revelations series ) , likes the Chronicles , enjoys the Outbreak games for what they are and thinks that the Survivors are alright . ( Operation Raccoon City(non canon) though ... it's a meh ... sorry for the fans of it )

I don't have a 'real' favorite RE game as it stands , but I think REmake is just ... near perfect ... and also the original from 1996 holds a special place in my heart . RE4 changed the direction of the games , but its still perfect as it is ... (Hope some of the unused ideas will see the light of day in the future)
    I stand by the statement that RE5 is a RE game , though it certainly severed ties with emphasis on survival horror in many places , backtracking and the chapter format ... (which was even more lacking (sadly) in RE6 , though that game took some horror elements back into the series ) ...but it was a more important entry than 4 , because of the story , ending of things and setting stage for the future of the franchise ...
    The first Revelations (although still with many action episodes in it ) nicely delivered some great survival horror atmosphere and gameplay ... the second one weirdly enough took some of RE6 controls , the partner zapping from RE0 and as small as in the enemy and location variations where , pushed the classy Re style even more ...

(Now I'm enjoying RE REV 2 and RE0 HD Remaster)
    Ok , let's hope RE2 Remake delivers with a static camera , new things and scares ..

Did you finally get around to RE REV2 and what do you think of RE0 ... TheAvengerButton ?

Life likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I preferred when Wesker wasn't a pawn of Spencer. I was also disappointed that Spencer died before we got a chance to battle him.