main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Fate Of The Thrawn Trilogy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by P.Sam, Jan 15, 2013.

1. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    I create this thread because I think The Trawn Trilogy ( probably the best novels the EU has known in it's history) in is a period of deep uncertainty. Indeed with the announce about 2 or 3 months ago of the episode 7,8,9 by Disney the new owner of the Star Wars license I cannot help but feat for the fate of The Trawn Trilogy. How can it possibly remain 'canon' and not being brought to the status of alternate universe? It is hard to have much hope in that regard for Heir Of The Empire come immediately after ROTJ and it is obviously in the path of the new upcoming Star Wars film trilogy of 2015.

What's you view on that? What is the Fate Of The Thrawn Trilogy?

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Doomed.

Once Ep 7 is released you can pretty much count on all the EU moving into infinities unless they reference something previously in the books.

There is a slim chance that current characters will be carried on like Jaina and Mara etc... but I wouldn't count on it.

Episode 7 allows for a clean slate of the EU as enjoyable and flawed as it is eveyone should prepare themselves for change.

3. Lord_kimo1

Lord_kimo1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2009
    Although it may seem like a good idea to have the Thrawn Trilogy incorporated into the new films, I seriously doubt it would happen. Don't get me wrong, having the likes of Grand Admiral and the New Republic would be nice. As Grand Master FatBurt said: "...all the EU moving into infinities..." sounds more logical.

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I would suggest taking a look at how Star Wars Canon is leveled. My best guess, is that upon release of Episode VII, the Thrawn Trilogy drops a level.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I feel like I've just stumbled into the Episode VII board.

6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sure the thrawn trilogy will have a special place in the fan's hearts but they've already said it won't be based off of it.

The Thrawn Trilogy will always be remembered though as what started the EU.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  7. Lord_kimo1

Mar 16, 2009
    I'm now taking into consideration the timeline. Thrawn Trilogy is approx. 9ABY and ROTJ is approx. 4ABY. It would probably be better for EP7 to have a timeline of 5-6ABY.

8. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I'm curious, is there a reason you think Episode 7 should be so soon after RotJ? I think is should take place years later, similar to how there is a nineteen year gap between PT and OT to level it oof a bit more.

9. Lord_kimo1

Mar 16, 2009
    I have considered that. But I think IMO, that having it a couple yrs after ROTJ would be good, then kick it out there. In my world there will be alot more episodes then just 7-9. So there would be plenty of time to put gaps in there.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I hope they don't throw it out but I will assume the worst and hope for the best. I know that I will keep the trilogy and go back and read it whenever I want.

11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Considering the Mark and Carrie are on board, I can almost guarantee that Episode 7 won't be set any sooner than 30 ABY. Which leaves ample room for incorporation of TTT and numerous other EU stories into the existing canon. I'm still of the mind that Ep VII is in the timeframe even after FOTJ. It makes sense for the ages of the OT actors and whether or not they are involved. I really don't see them re-casting those characters in order to set the film in a time period close enough to ROTJ that in order to have Hamill as Luke it would have had to have been made in 1990.

12. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I really like the Thrawn trilogy as well as a few other EU books, comics, shows, etc, but I don't mind the idea of rebooting the EU, or abandoning the all-inclusive canon principle. I find a lot of the cross referencing advertisements in EU stories exploitative.

Zahn's books will still exist to be enjoyed regardless of their status in canon.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    When you stare into the Episode VII forum, the Episode VII forum stares back.

Cronal likes this.
  14. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    I still need to read this trilogy.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You haven't read this trilogy? Why? How?

16. Allana_Rey

Sep 2, 2012
    I've been reading LOTF since March. I should've read TTT first though.

17. Lord_kimo1

Mar 16, 2009
    Your point is well taken. I just didn't realize until now what I said, I should have thought about it more first then just jot something down quick.

18. Zorkel567

Jan 20, 2010
    I, as have said before, am still holding out for the EU to be included. The fact that Apocalypse was postponed and seemed to have some big changes, along with the fact that Legacy may be an alternate future from one interview, which could be because of the ST changing the future. Also, as pointed out the other day, the original announcement by Disney mentioned the rich treasure trove of EU or some such, and I really hope Disney doesn;t want to waste all that has been built up.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  19. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    What interview suggests Legacy could be an alternate future? I'd hate for that to happen, Legacy was the best thing in the EU for a good long while.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  20. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Totally. Why'd you start with the series that has done it's best to ruin the EU? :confused: Even Crystal Star would have been a better place to start!

JackG, Dawud786 and Zeta1127 like this.
  21. Zorkel567

Jan 20, 2010
    Not long after Apocalypse came out, Denning said they were treating Legacy as a possible future, and it would remain to be seen if they were going to actually build up to that futute, which seems really odd having spent amlost twenty books heading towards Legacy, just to break it off suddenly. The use of the One Sith, jag taking over the Empire, Jaina and Jag coming together, the Triumvirate- all were building up to Legacy, and then Apocalypse destroyed all that, making me belive there are easons behind the scenes cough*Episode VII*cough.

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Episode 7 and reboots aside, I just took that line from Denning as him effectively going: "I don't care about Legacy" and telling people to quit asking him about when X is going to happen or when we'd see him show Y.

23. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    At first I thought that this thread was going to be about a new trilogy called "The Fate of Thrawn". I would have been okay with it as long as it was artistically done.

[​IMG]

Carry on.

Zorrixor and JackG like this.
  24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, Denning said he wouldn't be tethered to Legacy by making sudden changes to have story arcs align with what they end up as in the comic. That being said, Jag will eventually be Emperor, there will ultimately be a Triumvirate and the IK will exist. It's one of the few decisions of his I respect.

25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Mark and Carrie on board? Thats news to a lot of us. While there has been a lot of speculation, their involvement is not a given at this point.