main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Who would win? Daleks or Borg?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lady_Misty, Jan 14, 2013.

?

Who would win - Daleks or Borg

1. Daleks! Exterminate!

40.9%
  2. Borg! - Resistance is Futile!

31.8%
  3. Are you kidding?!? The Doctor and Federation would PWN both of them!

27.3%
  1. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I'm lucky I mised Voyager the first time and am purposedfuly avoiding it even now, whether on Netflix or elsewhere.

Not knowing diddly squat about all there is to know about Dalek tech, I really can't make an opinion. But what are their strenghts in terms of ships and firepower when compared to Borg cubes and such?

2. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Not to mention the absolute worst thing ST has ever done, pissing all over continuity from the much better show and movie.
    When some admiral introduced Janeway in the god awful series finale as, "The woman who wrote the book on the Borg" I knew how badly I had erred in sticking with that crappy show.

3. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Undeserved.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I imagine this is what Episode VII forum's like, except with more sugar and breathless hype.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't think we could match the noobish exhuberance and stupidity of the Episode VII boards if we tried. It's just something certain people are born with, I guess.

Well that's because Doctor Who is fantasy. It sort of started as sci-fi/historical way back in the day, but NuWho in particular isn't even really trying to be sci-fi.

6. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I think the Borg would 'win,' but the sneaky Daleks would infiltrate the Borg hive mind and eventually take over.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Cybermen jumped dimensions to the Trek universe (during the 5th season of TNG) for the crossover to take place. There they forged an alliance with the Borg due to their similarities. Once the Cybermen have access to the Hive's database they shut down Borg drone access to the Collective, leaving the drones confused and easily wiped out.

The rest of the story involves the Enterprise, Doctor and Borg racing to stop the Cybermen fleet from reaching the Borg homeworld and prevent them from taking over the resources of the entire Collective (which the Doctor shows would lead the destruction of the Federation and, eventually, other dimensions, due to the Cybermen's more aggressive nature as conquerors).

After the Cybermen are defeated and the Collective is restored, the comic ends with the Collective pondering what to do about time traveling threats like the Doctor and Cybermen and conclude that the Collective must begin mastering time travel capabilities...

THEY WOULD DEFEAT THE BORG WITH ***ONE*** DALEK!!! ;)

Miana Kenobi and solojones like this.
  8. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    The technological gap between the two is astronomical. We're talking about a species that can transport multiple planets across the universe at the same time, and blow up an entire planet with a couple of missiles, and that stood toe to toe with the time lords in a war that spanned the cosmos, against the borg, who are limited to one singular galaxy, and only a small section of it.

Epic Dalek curb stomp

9. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Yeah but the Borg can teleport, including right onto Dalek ships like they did with the Enterprise.
    Once on board wouldn't they become immune to the Dalek's energy beams and start learning what they need about Dalek technology to assimilate them? That's the part I can't get past. If Q hadn't whisked the Enterprise away in their first encounter, they clearly would have been assimilated and then the Borg would have been able to easily assimilate further ships, planets, etc.

Without a time out like humanity got to prepare for the Borg I don't see how the Daleks could resist that first wave...?

10. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    The Borg's transportation technology would make little difference. First they'd have to get past the Dalek ships' shields, something a Borg Cube would have little chance of doing, especially given that the Daleks would be swatting them away like flies with more ease than Species 8472 did.

If it did come to a one-on-one settings, perhaps if the Daleks felt like engaging in a bit of sport, then the Daleks' personal shields would deflect any physical attack by a Borg with his nanoprobes, unfortunately we can't say the same about the Borg. They fell to bullets (ST: First Contact), and also to "One's" personal shield attack in the episode "Drone", as well as being tossed about like ragdolls by one of the aforementioned 8472.

Also, while Borg technology can deflect the frequency-based phaser attacks of a weak sci-fi civilisation like the Federation, a brute-force firepower death ray used by a member of a universe-spanning empire will be a different ball game altogether.

11. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Would you kill off anyone who stood in your way? Would you blow up the planet they were on just to make sure? Would you wipe out their whole species, just in case anyone else like them might show up? Would you be willing to alter reality itself in order to seal the deal?

Of course you wouldn't. But the Daleks would. Again, they don't assimilate their enemies; they kill them dead.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  12. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    LOL, I am not convinced of the intellectual honesty of your analysis.

Let's look at some Dalek weaknesses for balance...
    -They've been destroyed with small caliber 20th century firearms and a shoulder fired WWII weapon.
    -An old man (1st Doctor) and a woman were able to push one at will and it couldn't stop them.
    -One was rendered helpless by placing a hat over it's eyepiece.
    -You can break into their heavily armored shuttle by just opening a hatch on it's roof and climbing in. No tools or force are necessary.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    BORG ARE SUPERIOR IN ONLY ONE RESPECT; THEY ARE BETTER AT DYING

14. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Pre-Time War era Daleks, (plus 60s level corny writing) can result in some stupid stuff happening. In-universe, it doesn't particularly matter. At the end of the day, a species that has an empire that spans an entire universe, engaged in a massive Time War, transports a couple of dozen planets across millions of light years, and creates a weapon that can destroy all reality itself, across all universes and parallel universes, will defeat a species that barely controls a quarter of its own galaxy, through sheer scale and resources alone.

15. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Reminds me of Star Trek The Original Series, Rocky and Bullwinkle and a few other TV shows from that era.

16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Again, the Daleks are more ruthless, and committed to their goal with a psychopathic intensity. And they have the technology to accomplish their most wildly hateful schemes.

But, again, Palpatine would let them both kill each other off. And he'd probably make each one think he was the best ally (even while they each unsuccessfully plan to get rid of him).

Darth_Invidious and Lady_Misty like this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And then the Master would suggest an Alliance with Palpatine, all the while plotting to kill him off or if this was body - snatching Master, take over Sidious' body (now there's a scary thought)

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Of course Palps would beat them. But then the Doctor would beat him.

Lady_Misty and Juliet316 like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Palpatine and the Doctor would be a fascinating conversation.

There is one flaw the Borg could exploit with the Daleks: the Daleks themselves. If a Borg could gain access to a single disabled (or weakened) Dalek, they could assimilate the organic creature itself. This, combined with the assimilation of the actual shell technology would "add their technological and biological distinctiveness" to their own. Thus, the Borg would likely know either how to counter Dalek shields, match them or match their firepower.

Keeping in mind the main reason Species 8472 was such a threat was because they couldn't be assimilated. Assuming the Daleks do not have this biological immunity (given how they tend to absorb genetic material so easily, I'd say they don't), of course.

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That's true. But I think the Dalek's would have a good chance of just blowing everyone up before that happened. Though it would actually be interesting to see someone beside the Doctor get the drop on the Daleks for once.

Well, the Doctor or Oswin now I guess.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    solojones, your seriously aren't subscribing to the theory that Oswin is somehow the Twelfth Doctor, are you?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It would depend on the nature of their contact. Borg fleet vs Dalek fleet for a first contact scenario would likely result in a Borg defeat. Borg drones encounter a few Daleks on their own? Then it gets interesting, as the possibility for assimilation arises prior to a fleet confrontation.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well I suppose that's true. However, no matter what happens, you know that some Daleks will survive somewhere, in some place or universe, and they'll never ever be gone. Because they're contractually obligated to feature in at least one episode per series. The Borg may have a lot of power, but do they have entertainment lawyers?

No, I just said that she had been able to single-handedly best the Daleks. Have to give credit where it's due. The Doctor's not the only one who's done that. I suppose we should also give kudos to Ian for being able to, er, ride around inside a Dalek shell.

Mar17swgirl and Lady_Misty like this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    This is true.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Ironically The Borg were almost the opposite initially- TBTB actively avoided trying to use the Borg too much, at least until Voyager needed yearly ratings ;).