main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Indy 4 that bad?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by skywalker_san, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Red.Two

Red.Two Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 25, 2012
    I liked it a lot. I know many people had a problem with the big alien reveal, but it didn't bother me. If I can buy into face-melting arks, holy grails, and whatever the heck was going on in "Temple of Doom," scene-chewing women and kids and something about a still-beating heart I guess, then I can buy into nuclear fridges and aliens.

Andy Wylde, FRAGWAGON and DarthBoba like this.
  2. zodiac brave

zodiac brave Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2012
    even when it first came out, the only thing i found odd, was the weird "over-produced" cg feel to all the visual effects. i actually thought the fridge but was clever. (tho when the lack of common sense of it was pointed out to me, i did begin to find it a bit silly). i enjoyed the idea of indy vs aliens and thought cate blanchett was amazing, as usual. it definitely has its own feel though...that i'll agree with. i dont think it's bad...just...NEW. :/ i enjoyed it overall...

3. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I like Indy 4 but would have been a GREAT movie without Shia-Whatever and maybe that UFO thingy. Otherwise, a good Saturday Matinee.

4. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I've heard a lot of people say things along the lines of, "it was making fun of the previous movies" or "it was Indy jumping the shark." I didn't think it was that bad. I think it was the worst of the four, but the first three are all pretty good (Temple of Doom wasn't as good as the others in my opinion). Raiders of the Lost Ark is a film classic.

My issue with people saying that it was "making fun of the series" or "jumping the shark" is that the series always dealt with the supernatural. Why is a man able to shove his hand in another man's chest and remove his heart more believable than aliens?

There were great scenes in the Crystal Skull. The atomic bomb test was classic Indy in my opinion. Is it a film classic? No. Is it viewable more than once? Yes.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Nowadays the audience is more cynical, and fans (or should I say bashers?), due to nostalgia or whatever, don't make the same cynical judgement to the previous movies. That happened with the Star Wars prequels as well (specially with the so called "reviews" (read: bash-fest) made by RLM.

I see it all as a big hypocrisy, but what are you going to do...?

P.S: I'm not saying that people who merely didn't like them are being hypocritical.

6. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    I actually enjoy Indy 4. Sure, there are parts I roll my eyes but I don't think it's much worse than Temple of Doom, which I think gets nostalgic rose colored glasses. My litmus test is my dad, he was married in the 80s and isn't big on any kind of fantasy movie. Loved Raiders and Crusade, hated other two so I know that I'm not being biased by saying they are lower quality lol

Poor Greedo likes this.
  7. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I liked KOTCS. I did. And this is coming from a person who loves RLM's review of Phantom Menace.

It was a fun ride and fantastic to see Indy back.

It would be a better movie with some edits (get rid of the kid fighting with swords and monkey scene, speed up the pacing a bit).

8. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't really care for the aliens or Shia Labeouf but Harrison did a great job IMO and it is a fun movie.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will also say, also this movie is the most energized I've seen Harrison Ford on screen in, like, a decade. Probably longer.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The fridge-nuking was one of my favorite bits from the movie. It was sort of an extreme visual riff on the old folks telling us "they don't make 'em like they used to". Apply that to Ford, and those old fridges that didn't have planned-obsolescence engineered into them.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    It's certainly no more far-fetched than jumping out of a plane mid air while inflating a life raft with three people on it. For me, the reason why the nuking resonates with me less than the example provided is because it just feels less "hand made" in terms of the CGI that went into it. Although it clearly isn't the raft scene just looks and feels more real. But, with the nuking scene, there's no edge of the seat element in it for me. It's a fun scene, but a throw-away at the same time.

13. Darth_Martus

Darth_Martus Jedi Knight star 1

May 11, 2011
    Nice Avatar.

I say it recently for the first time and I didn't think it was as bad as some people made out. Not a classic but still enjoyable.

14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Likewise :)

The worst I can say with nuking the fridge was that it was laugh out loud funny which is a lot better than a few awkward moments in Howard The Duck where even when attempting to be funny, the latter is just downright painful.

15. Edgar Sideways

Edgar Sideways Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2013

It definitely IS that bad. Everything from Janusz Kaminsky's awful cinematography to John Williams' weak score to the appaling and pointless Ray WInstone.

16. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    The movie wasn't that bad, the monkey swinging was terrible though. Nuking fridges? Nah I enjoyed that, like falling from a plane in a raft.

17. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Its not as bad as some people make it. Its an acceptable addition to the series, not a disaster. But at the same time I dont think it meets the standard of the first 3. It stands out. Its better than a lot of the stuff that is coming out these days like Transformers, which is probably why it actually got decent reviews.

I actually thought it was pretty good until they get to the jungle. I especially enjoyed the entire first reel in Nevada. I thought the refrigerator sequence was fine. The movie kinda falls apart when they get to the jungle. The only thing I liked in the jungle was the big ant sequence.

The main villain was a big mistake. I dont mean to be sexist, but I dont think femme fatales make good main villians. They can make good henchmen, but not main villains. When I heard Ray Winstone was going to be in it, I thought he would make a good rival archiologist Belloq type villain. When I heard Jim Broadbent was going to be in it, I figured he would make a good Walter Donovan type villain that was a cross between Donovan and Boss Tweed from Gangs of New York.

I enjoyed the alien twist, but they should have gone all the way with it. They should also have gone all the way with the sci -fi /horror 50s serial motif. This would have been the perfect opportunity to do the haunted castle that Lucas wanted to do in Last Crusade.

As some one above noted, the score is very weak. The entire jungle sequence is just way too over the top. The last reel should have been set some where in Eastern Europe or Russia, not Peru.

18. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I actually found Indy 4 it be ok though it wasn't as good as the others.

19. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I enjoyed Indy 4. Like you said, Ford played an appropriate role for his age. It might be a little bit unbelievable to see him jumping out of planes and whatnot.... :p

Not my favorite Indy, but maybe not the worst..

20. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I liked Indy IV quite a bit. Not as much as LC, but at least as much as RotLA, and certainly more than ToD. If Indy IV is an indication of what's to come for the franchise, I will welcome Indy V with open arms.

Unless, of course, it's starring Mutt with Indy as a secondary character. I don't mind Shia, but that idea can rot in hell.

21. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Spot on, friend!

22. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I almost forget it exists. I was eager in 2008 and grinning all through the movie until they went to South America. It didn't move enough and the mission lacked a sense of eminent global doom like the recovery of the Ark, relied too much on riddles and following another character around, stayed in one place too long, and the conclusion was just aggravating because it was too realized. It was like if God's face had been seen in Raiders of the Lost Ark when the Ark was blown up into the sky. The Temple of Doom was my least favorite of the three but at least it left its mark on pop culture with memorable set pieces, and because of those I only recently re-appreciated it. The fourth movie is just neat for being a reunion.
    Still, I liked things about it that others did not. I did not mind the refrigerator situation and the people who seemed to think Indiana Jones should only dabble with Nazis and Christian artifacts were annoying.

23. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    This. Mainly the bolded bits, but all of it, really. I actually find that I view the fourth film as a spin-off/add-on/reunion film. The trilogy stands on its own fine, and this is a neat gem for those who wish to see it as such. Assuming that makes any sense.

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I got the Complete Adventures on Blu-Ray for Christmas and I fully plan on rewatching KOTCS for the first time since its original DVD release. I sure hope I'm in for a surprise! :)

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013