main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - 5.13 - Point of No Return - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    LOL. It is pretty much Adult Swim and Adult Swim Jr now.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    That letter from Tarkin is really classic Tarkin, it's very much reminiscent of his letter to Palpatine regarding the "Tarkin Doctrine", and that's awesome.

Like Robimus, I expect it to never actually make it into the show in any way. Hope TCW proves me wrong.

3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Look, what I'm saying is there's a right way and a wrong way to do Andy Kaufman-esque contempt for your own fans, and George Lucas just isn't doing it right, no matter how hard he tries.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Granted, contempt for your own fans is a pretty difficult thing to pull off the "right way". :p

5. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Realized that I never gave my input on this episode. Similar to Missing In Action, it was a lot better than the earlier episodes in the arc, but that isn't saying much. The best part of the episode was the explosion at the end... it was actually really well done. And I have to hand it to the Separatists, their plan was pretty good and was almost very successful at dealing a pretty big blow to the Republic. Some issues with the plan, though. The whole fake hologram scene with Republic officers and such would indicate that they expected someone to be on the ship or to get on the ship, but they didn't seem prepared to deal with that... and the battle droids seemed surprised to see them (Gascon and the droids) too.

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    In regards to the upcoming episodes completely forgetting Tarkin's message. That seems likely. Filoni also wrote that mini-script that takes place between Senate Spy and Landing at Point Rain to account for why the commerce guilds were allowed to stay in the Republic after Senate Spy. It was something that was needed, yet was never actually reflected in subsequent episodes.

I figured the holograms were more for accepting hails. Like if the Republic tried to contact the ship, they could have the hologram answer and say a message identifying the ship and requesting permission to dock or something like that. But... TCW shot that idea down when they included dialogue that mentioned that the ship was not responding to any transmissions.

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Ahh, good point. And yes, they did kind of shoot that down. They need to pay more attention to their own ideas. :p

8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Apparently the Separatist biggest concern was binos or x-ray vision? I don't understand why they didn't just speed up way more and try to ram the space station.

9. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Plot a course, go to hyperspace and don't drop out of it.

Though I know the EU has the concept of interdictor ships that can drop a ship out of hyperspace, and it seems like maybe planets and fleets would have technology to ensure that a bad navigator doesn't destroy them in an unintentional suicide run.

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I would assume you'd only get that beeping warning like when the Droid's shuttle about went through the ice field and had to drop out of hyper space. Could probably ignore that if you wanted a suicide run.

11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Then there seems like no reason for the CIS to have no destroyed the Republic or vice versa. They used to all be one big happy Republic, so they're going to know the layout of the Galaxy and how to get from point A to B, and since the CIS already has demonstrated suicidal droids (the ones Grievous sends to the power station and informs will not be coming back), I don't see - aside from suspension of disbelief - what would be stopping the CIS from ravaging Coruscant by sending a dreadnought straight into the planet at hyperspace, if not some kind of counter measure/interdictor style defense, in which case a lone dreadnought getting close to Coruscant (if not intercepted before then) would just be easy pickings.

12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Heh... this is one of these things where I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will set me straight but aren't there hyperspace lanes you have to travel in? That's point A to point B. Space would be a dangerous, shifting place to travel in. They might not intersect planets and space stations to kamakazi. I assume lanes are traveled to prevent colliding into stuff, I imagine hyperspacing into a stellar mass blackhole would ruin your day. It sounds like it would be very difficult and very risky to travel outside of of one of those lanes, because while the distances between objects is insane space is far from empty. The vast majority stars for example are very dim red dwarfs you can't see unless your about right on top of them.

Hmmm... add stellar mass blackhole and wolf-rayat star to my list of thing I want to see in the Clone Wars.

AkashKedavra_93 and pronker like this.
  13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I think you need to travel in hyperspace lanes in order to do it and not get killed by an object in your path. Han alludes to that when he tells Luke it's not like dusting crops and that the nav computer needs some time to plot a course. I think the point of the Jabba sub-plot in the TCW movie was that he had some lesser known hyperspace lanes he would tell the Republic about if they helped him get his son back. So a target like Coruscant wouldn't be in the path of one of those lanes, and therefore trying to target it from hyperspace might mean getting destroyed by something else in your path before you even get there.

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Interdictors mimic planetary mass which automatcially pull ships out of hyperspace. Based on that it would be impossible for a ship to hit a planet at that speed because the planet would have a natural defense.

And yes travelling in hyperspace, outside of the safe lanes would be extermlely dangerous. That said there were likely 1000's of unknown/secrett lanes used by Hutt's, Smugglers, the military and the like. Iirc Palpatine had secret hypersapce routes in the core.

pronker likes this.
  15. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I appreciate the variety I get from the tonal shifts.

I realize that ticks off a lot of you guys since you're not getting what you want, but I guess that's the risk they are willing to take.

07jonesj and Seerow like this.
  16. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I should clarify that I actually like the lighter episodes when written well: "Evil Plans", "Mercy Mission", "Nomad Droids".

Just not WAC, okay?

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, tonal shifts would be fine. Quality shifts are the problem.

07jonesj likes this.
  18. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't mind the humor of Star Wars. R2 and C-3PO rode backseat throughout the OT and offered comedic relief and I was entertained by them and had no problem with Star Wars' lighthearted humor. It's just that when they get in the driver's seat for 88 minutes straight of that kind of humor (or frankly even 22 is too much for me personally) it just gets overdone. I have no problem with them in a supporting role however, and I in no way hate R2, though I hate his arc, which actually has little to do with R2 and almost everything to do with WAC and Gascon.

And the excuse of we needed to keep things lighthearted because the late season is going to be intense only goes so far. I thought Lucas used that same excuse in the prequels, but that doesn't make me hate Jar Jar less. Wipe Jar Jar from the film and it's still a comparatively innocent adventure with its lighthearted moments. It didn't need the additional slapstick, Eopie farts and Jar Jar stepping in poop.

07jonesj likes this.
  19. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I would have to say, the idea of this arc paying off was complete bull****. I had hoped the module would fit in somehow, but it didn't. I'm sorry Brent Friedman, Dave Filoni, and the rest of TCW team, but this arc was a complete and utter waste of time. If the Clovis arc is indeed pushed for back for this mediocrity, that is enraging. I liked Revival, Onderon was above average, I loved Young Jedi, and I hope that Mauldalore crushes the bitter taste in my mouth.

eht13, CT-867-5309, Robimus and 3 others like this.
  20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The stupid flash drive D-Squad stole being a MacGuffin does tick me off after it being made into such a big deal. I guess its possible the trojan horse details were on there the entire time buts is annoying. That really hurt the arc IMO. There could have been great pay off beside a badass explosion and it never happened. I could almost call the detonator the monster of the day.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    QFT.

I'm not looking forward to Mauldelore but my expectations have been set so abysmally low right now that I couldn't possibly be disappointed.

22. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I'm so happy this arc is over! Frogman (i refuse to remember his real name) is my least favorite character in all of SW now. I'd rather watch "The Amazing Adventures of Jar-Jar & Snarf: Detectives" than another episode with him.

23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    You know an arc is crap when even Akash is saying so! :p
    But yeah, if the Clovis arc was pushed back for this garbage it'd be a real shame.

CT-867-5309 and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  24. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I think LACWAC is going to implode if it turns out that Clovis is nothing special. So much hype about an arc focused on Anakin, Clovis and Padme, two of which are heavily hated on :p

So much spontaneous hype. When people beg for Clovis, you know you've hit rock bottom.

eht13, Barriss_Coffee and JackG like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've been wishing for an opportunity for Anakin to beat the **** out of Clovis since season 2. ;)

Darth_Foo likes this.