main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Your First EU Experience

Discussion in 'Literature' started by HipsterChewie, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    I stayed home from school on my birthday to read all of Invincible so I can't judge :p

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Rogue Squadron book, followed by the Thrawn Trilogy.

3. KarrdeFan

KarrdeFan Jedi Master

Oct 18, 2012
    This is a good question. Outside of the original toys that came out as I was growing up, I am sure there were books that came out too that I read but can't recall them. In regards to the EU that we know today, it started with the first Thrawn Trilogy book when it came out. I read it then and half of book two but didn't finish it. I picked up the final book about 8 years ago to fill out an order via Amazon for free shipping. I read them all in a row for the first time two summers ago right after all the books went to ebook and have been hooked ever since. I have the Han Solo Adventures at home but never read those. Maybe I need to do so? The X-Wing books though are what really got me into it seeing heroes other than Jedi saving everyone. I am now nearing to read NJO for the first time.

4. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I've never read the Solo books. They are kind of a stand alone series... At least from my understanding

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yes, read them. Incredibly fun adventure novels.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That sounds like the title, but A Forest Apart came out in 2003, whereas this must have happened back in like... 97 or 98 or something.

That's why I can't for the life of me imagine what it was, as there weren't that many books around back then.
    Unless that was actually it. [face_hypnotized]

7. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    ITA. Particularly Han Solo at Star's End. Has to be one of my all time favorites.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    If for no other reason, every Star Wars fan has to see that "I prefer shooting first line", laugh, then laugh more when you realize the novel pre-dates the special edition by nearly two decades.

Brian Daley read the future, and he disapproved.

9. sithtimelord

sithtimelord Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2004
    my first one proper was Darth Plageus - fooking epic

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Welcome to the forum

11. sithtimelord

sithtimelord Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2004
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    As a very young person my family would go south on occasion to visit relatives in Kentucky and West Virginia. One of my favorite things we did was go to a gigantic outdoor flea market. THERE, buried in a box I dug through was Splinter Of The Mind's Eye. WTH? I thought perhaps it was some sort of ripoff. I bought it with money my grandparents were good about handing out. This was long before GL made up his mind about relations. Reading the book now is creepy. But it was a wonderful thing to find at the time and my first intro into the wider environment of a given fictional universe.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The Marvel series and Stars' End. Then, years later, the sacred triunvirate of the WEG roleplaying game, the first Dark Forces videogame, and the X-Wing videogame series. And then, my curiosity piqued by all of this, Zahn's trilogy.

Good times.

14. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    I nagged the librarians relentlessly, looking up the expected release dates and placing holds in advance. Ah, the years before the interwebs.

15. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    I think my first EU experience was Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. After that I played the Jedi Knight games as they were released, then came KotOR I & II and the KotOR comic series.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have to add now that I think about it, so many years later I played KOTOR 2 and after defeating a Sith Lord I searched his remains and found the Kaiburr Crystal. NERDGASM.

Mirax Terrik and DarthApprentice like this.
  17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    When do you get the Kaiburr Crystal in Kotor 2?

18. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    Nerdgasm! Lovin it! Hope you dont mind if I use that....

VadersLaMent likes this.
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    When you send your selection of party members to the Tomb Of Freedon Nadd(While you head off to Onderon) there is a Sith Lord who tires to turn you to the Darkside before you battle and kill him and his two companions. Out of perhaps 6 play throughs only one turned up the Kaiburr Crystal.

20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Cool, I was always a Halcyon, and would use the trading planets vendor to get the Silver Lightsaber... The Male Exile to me was always start of the Halcyon line...

21. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul (novel-wise, yes this is a more recent book)

22. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    For books it was at a Barnes and Nobles bookstore.
    It was either children of the Jedi or I Jedi, I remember reading the the phrase they hid the children down the well, and thought it was a horror novel. One of the reasons I thought Callista was Luke's first love, little did I know...
    And of course I Jedi may have been read first because of the Jedi thing in the title.

For games it was Star Wars Rebellion the Old Empire at War game.
    I was introduced to Pellaeon, Thrawn, Tallon Karrde, Noghri, and had absolute no idea why they were in a Star Wars game. Then I read the Jedi Academy series rudimentally, and still they weren't in the books. Finally I found the Thrawn Trilogy!

23. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    The Glove of Darth Vader. By all accounts I should have run away then and there. :p

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yes -- they're an absolute must to read! A little campy, but fun. And they set the stage for a lot of Han's weird little quirks in many subsequent novels.

Also, the Lando Calrissian Adventures are a trip -- basically like the Han Solo ones, only... what you'd expect from Lando.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Medstar is more than just Jedi as well... Think of it as Star Wars M*A*S*H