main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Wasted Character Potential?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Silas Nightstalker, Jan 12, 2013.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Nick Rostu, Kar Vastor, Lowbacca, Kyp, and Anakin Solo are at the top of my list

2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Well just about every Jedi outside the council and Skywalker Solo family is poorly written. but Kyp fell off the face of the map. Danni Quee, same thing...

3. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Didn't she go back to Zonoma Sekot after she resigned from the order?

4. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, but I figured she would return during Jacen's fall... Maybe she has a little Solo running around too we just didn't know about...

5. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    You know, I always expected her to come back. Danni probably would've been the only one who could have looked at the whole fiasco objectively; none of his family did. For the record, I think that Danni got forced out by Skywalker's lame 'for us or against us' comment more than she resigned. Same for Tenel Ka. Yep, the Jedi are totally inclusive.

Chilla and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd much rather see the Jedi as a volunteer fire department... You have some as pilots, maybe a few full timers in the upper ranks... Heck a Jedi could be a customs agent for Coruscant... Maybe even a Horn could take up smuggling like their other parent. The point is that if a Jedi wants to be a scientist or a queen or a pilot or whatever, they should be welcome to it

JediMara77, Mirax Terrik and SiouxFan like this.
  7. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    I totally agree. I keep remembering Mon Mothma's conversation with Luke about this topic. Something along the lines of 'we need Jedi doctors, Jedi lawyers, Jedi mechanics; we need the Jedi to integrate themselves into society'. Jedi should be people first, Jedi second. What the hell happened to that?

GrandMasterKatarn and Chilla like this.
  8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Denning wrote a book without notice to any other character save for his SbS Jedi, Barabels, Squibs, and that Sullustan/Ewok duo

Zeta1127 and SiouxFan like this.
  9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Another question about Danni Quee. Did she train enough to actually be considered a Jedi before she resigned?

10. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Tahiri, Jacen Solo, Kyp, Anakin Solo.

Chilla, Zeta1127 and Jedi_Glover like this.
  11. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I'm gonna say essentially no. Throughout the war she was able to spend some time studying their ways but being one of the best scientists at understanding Vong technology she was more focused on finding ways to beat them, something that is reflected often in the dialogue, particularly in Star By Star if I remember right. After the war she remained on Sekot where the only Jedi she would be able to study under were Tekli and Tahiri. Both of these two were knighted in the midst of war as a result of their actions but their training wasn't complete, especially in the case of Tahiri who was still fairly young, so while she may have learnt some things from them, it seems unlikely she would have been able to complete her own training. When she eventually does return from Sekot it is only long enough to tell Luke that she's leaving the Order and then she promptly returns to the Yuuzhan Vong, this time with no Jedi in tow. She would have learnt some of the Jedi ways but not enough to qualify as an actual Jedi in my opinion.

12. Tinwe

Tinwe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    Jacen, definitely. Don't even get me started on that one... Even after all these years I'm so disappointed about how they handled his character. I think that is actually one of the reasons I've stayed away from the post-Dark Nest EU, even though I read pretty much every post-ROTJ novel up to that point (I do keep track on the latest developments though). I even remember having written quite a lengthy rant in my diary about what a stupid decision it was to make Jacen a Sith, with a whole scenario about how the people at LFL ended up making it. (And that's saying something, because I don't usually write much about my geek life in my journal. :p)

Tahiri is next up on my list as well. No writer after Greg Keys in The Final Prophecy has really nailed her character IMO. I just hate it how Anakin was made her weak spot in LOTF – of course it's okay to miss someone you've loved and lost, but it was made pretty clear in NJO that she had already began to heal from that loss. I think Tahiri's character arc was one of the most interesting ones in the series, but from what I've gathered they pretty much reversed or neglected all the development she had in NJO. :(

SiouxFan likes this.
  13. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I absolutely agree with you. Talon Karrde is a great character and I'd love to read a book just about his organization in their smuggling days. Plus, I really, really want that Karrde/Shada romance.
    The Mistryl are fascinating as well and I'd love to see them appear more often. But alas, I don't think there was a single mentioning of them in any novels beside the Hand of Thrawn Duology (apart from a bit of Shada, who isn't really one of them anymore, in the NJO).

Winter's solo adventures are another great story to tell. Would love to read about an agent's life and learn more about how her gift (and curse) of having perfect recall affects her life and work.

And I agree with what so many others have said: Kyp Durron. Went from a major character in the NJO with great potential to be a supporter of Luke or to take the order into a new direction to The Guy Who Argues With Corran in post-NJO novels.

I know it's not really 'a' character, but whatever happened to the Yuuzhan Vong? Would have loved for one of them to be a main character post NJO. There is so much potential there - how do the other species (who were victims of the YV) react to him/her, how does he/she deal with rogue YV elements, how does he/she get along with the Jedi, etc.

EDIT: From what I have heard, the reason why Lowbacca disappeared was that Lucas said to the authors "No Wookie Jedi" and made them stop writing about Lowie.

14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    The Lowie thing is true. However that was more for KOTOR 2 so that Hanhaar couldn't be a Dark Jedi Wookiee...
    But needless to say, Lowie got grandfathered in. We basically put him on the Lucas Protection Program, hiding him in on the planet that is farthest from.

However since, Gungi has appeared on TCW. He is a wookiee Jedi, which raises the question if the Wookiee Jedi mandate is lifted. Lowie is going to be on the council for the next couple hundred years.... No bad no one understands what he has to say

15. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    One for me would be Kyp. It still feels as though no one quite knew how to handle him post being sith possessed so we just shoved the whole thing into the corner. Occasionally they bring it back up for plot purposes such as Daala exiling Luke, but the simple fact is no closure has been made for the character with that. They had unlimited potential to play with his personality being morphed by those events, but instead chose to ignore a touchy subject that they didn't want to be boxed into.

Jaina is another big one for me. If you had told me for the first time she had to fight to the death with her brother I would be puzzled. I felt we never really got to see the character deal with that. That is the sort of thing that leave a permanent mark on someone. Instead Jaina is moving more and more towards a middle age woman who can't make up her mind on sticking with a man, and it seems she will soon inevitably just became a baby maker for the Skysolo legacy.

My last option I propose is the galaxy as a whole. What i mean by this is we never seem to really see the aftershock of major events. It literally seems as though the YV war never happened by the way the galaxy has moved on from it. We don;t see the rebuilding happening. We don't see the psyche of the cultures shaken by what was a devastating moment in their history. It really feels as though the writers would prefer we forget anything that happened during that series.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  16. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I feel like the Jedi Council in General mainly Kyle, Kyp, and Corran need at least a book set in the LotF and FotJ series. At least Corran and Kyle get out of the council chambers and go do missions from time to time. Kyle nearly dying. Needless to say, Kyp hasn't left the chambers... Then again didn't he have a girl friend a while ago... Something about them in a speeder.

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    It seems that there are many people that understand shiriwook(bad spelling), except the audience. Lowie should try to build another MTD( a less annoying one), so that problem is solved

18. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Agreed, the minute Em-Tee-Dee got destoryed is the minute they stopped using Lowie... But all we need to do is get him on the Legacy council... Therefore he is safe for the next 100 years

19. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Princess Leia by far. Although I am very happy with her recent portrayal in Star Wars #1.

20. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Lieutenant Kettch.

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The Prequels happened to that.

As for my choice I'd have to say Garm bel Iblis - the guy's completely disappeared off the map since TUF. He certainly deserves his final glorious battle.

22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Kyp was not thown into a corner in the great NJO series, but yeah after that

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    He has a girlfriend now. He is too busy to be crazy

24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I dunno, crazy people can be pretty productive. Look at Batman.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    He may be the exception to the rule. Not the rule...
    Cause he's batman