main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Poll: Would You See the ST if Luke, Leia and Han were Recast

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bazinga'd , Jan 14, 2013.

?

Would you go see the ST if Luke, Leia and Han were recast?

1. Yes

52.6%
  2. No

25.6%
  3. Depends on Who was Chosen to Play the Big Three

21.8%
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'm honest here. I will not pay to see the ST if they are recast. I might watch it when it comes to TV, but they won't get my money on tickets, DVD's, replicas, toys, etc.

I'm a huge Highlander fan, but didn't payto see Endgame or buy the DVD. I did watch it for free when it came to TV, but they weren't getting my money for <spoiler alert>......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................killing Connor.

Echo-07 likes this.
  2. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    I wouldn't point blank refuse to see the new movies just because the actors had been recasted. Granted, I'd be gutted if they pulled a stunt like that but I'd still watch the movies at least once. I suppose I'd probably end up owning the trilogy on dvd but would never really watch them; much the same way that I have the prequel trilogy but never really watch them either. I guess my loyalty is to the saga. Still, this is all hypothetical. They'd have to be crazy to recast the original characters. My guess is that the sequel trilogy will be set safely a long time in the future with totally new characters.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol @ "you'll all be at the theater no matter what"

The only Star Wars movie I've seen at a theater is The Phantom Menace. Didn't bother seeing AOTC or ROTS and if the gross revenue is evidence, neither did a lot of fans.

There's a very active poster here who has never seen a Star Wars movie in a theater.

4. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    And I honestly can't help but lol at these kinds of posts who magically believe they know every persons actions and if they are just exaggerating their point. People have dropped following franchises like this over much less. As I said before I would probably go see the first one, but it would need to go above and beyond exceeding my expectations to get me to see the rest.

HanSolo29 and Echo-07 like this.
  5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    You're absolutely WRONG.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    NICE! [face_laugh]

It reminds me of something that I saw on The Simpsons, the episode where TPM comes out: One of the SW nerdy guys (I don't know Simpsons very well) said something like "That was the most disappointing waste of time ever produced by George Lucas, an insult to my childhood. It is a let down to all things SW. I will only see it 5 more times...........today."

As I said I'm not a huge Simpsons fan so I don't know the exact line. But it represents this statement well. I may be wrong, but for the MOST part, regardless of our hatred of the recasting idea, I'm SURE we will all still break down and see it.

[face_thinking] I suppose a recasting may not be SOOOOO bad, if the movies take place 30-40 years later. I mean, Obi Wan Kenobi was recast in that fashion, and we were all just fine with that! This would essentially be the same thing-just the opposite direction. (Also Owen and Beru Lars and Mon Mothma were recast, and I suppose Tarkin, too-if you count that one. They worked fine for me as well-even though they were minor characters.) But recasting would be bad if they plan to pick up right after ROTJ. IMO it could only have a chance at working if it takes place when they're older.

I still maintain that I'd prefer those characters not be in the ST. If so, only a cameo, no more. (Maybe as a hologram conversation or something-that could even be done with CG-just like Tron: Legacy, or Schwarzenegger in Terminator Salvation-that worked fine! And those were years ago!) I would like fresh new characters with a fresh new story-and then Luke, Han, Leia, and maybe Chewie just as cameos...throwbacks.

OH, but YES...I will still go see it. I would say I'm loyal to the Saga, not the actors...

if for not my loyalty to the Saga, then curiosity! ;)

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Me too! [face_laugh]

GGrievous likes this.
  8. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Everything depends on what will be done and why. If they'd recast Luke, Han and Leia but have them be the ages of Mark, Harrison and Carrie - then I'd boycot the film out of principal - (and I don't care about the PT -so why bother with an ST). If they'd recast them because they want to start where ROTJ stops or close to - then it's another thing completely. But I'd still like to see them reprise their roles in a movie - and I think it's a golden opportunity for Disney to use them!

But the fact that we're now promised more movies than the ST only, puts things in a new light. The OT actors definitely should be used at some point, I think! But more movies will probably also mean several timelines will be explored on widescreen, and that will most likely mean a recast will be necessary at some point.

9. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    First off, we have to look at the circumstances of the film regarding the plot.

If the movie is set at least 30-40 years later, then yeah, I wouldn't want them to recast the characters since Hamill, FIsher, & Ford would be the right ages for the characters.

10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

11. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

Not trying to be harsh all I really saw was a comparison between the re-cast of Obi-Wan & a Re-cast of the big 3....where as the re-cast of Obi-Wan had to be done for reasons above & the re-cast of the big 3 in no way needs to be done because there is no way EP7 will be set 1-20 yrs after ROTJ it will be set so the big 3 can reprise their roles .

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    This.

I have to say, that's quite an assumption to make - to automatically assume that everyone will be at the theater opening night simply because we post on a Star Wars message board. Star Wars means something different to everyone and for me, that happens to be the story of the Big Three. If they are recast (I truly believe it's a big 'if'), it won't be the same for me. It will be like ripping the heart and soul out of something I love and you better believe I will think twice about seeing the film.

Now, if they can't get Mark, Carrie and Harrison back and opt to leave out the Big Three altogether, that's something totally different.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  14. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    Anything can happen.

I would LOVE if all three of them came back. But I would also find it intriguing if just one came back and two didn't (or two back, and one didn't). This would add mystery to the story. We may hear about them and what happened to them. But in the end the story will be about the next generation of Jedi/Rebels heroes.

That said, I WOULD go see them if they are recast. As much as there are nuances to the performances in the OT, and they are important to what we saw there and got from them, you can't force the actors either. They should have fun going back. Again, if they don't all come back then we could have someone say what happened to them and leave that mystery there.

I'm more concerned about the story anyway... that will determine WHO will come back...

15. DiditAllForTheWookie

DiditAllForTheWookie Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2001
    Why would I want to see a movie where everyone was racist? That doesn't sound fun at all.

Trask Ulgo likes this.
  16. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I wouldn't go to see it.
    I'd probably download it though.

17. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Just playing devil's advocate, what if the best script included the Big Three? And those three just flat out refused to do it (for whatever reason). Would you still feel the same? I mean, in the end it's about the movie as a whole and the best possible outcome...

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    That's a fair question to which I will answer that if the BEST script can't convince the BIG 3 to reprise their roles then it must be awful and recasting the Big 3 characters won't save it anyway -- would be the epitome of two wrongs don't make a right.

Listen, folks, right now it's roughly 2 to 1 in favor of those who'd see a recast but there's only been about 100 votes. I know there are far more than 100 people registered on this site so even if you're just lurking vote so we can get an more accurate idea of the feelings on this issue. (And, yes, I know this is far from scientific, but it's an interesting question/debate.)

19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    The possibility of a split return probably would change at least a few of the no votes. But then the question is, which one of the Big three would it take to get you back into the theater.

20. The_Book_of_Sith

The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Sep 5, 2012
    I would be a little disappointed, but, it's Star Wars right? I will definitely be there opening night even if the Big 3 aren't featured, no question. 3 months ago, the possibility of this happening, be it with or without the Big 3 was slim to non existent so any new Star Wars on the big screen where it belongs is a bonus as far as I am concerned.

21. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    This I do agree with...

Assuming ep VII takes place 30-40 years later,yes-which is what I HOPE they will be doing! If that's the case, th "big 3" as I mentioned before would be my definate first choice! [face_praying]

22. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    Why is there no "Hell NO!" Option?

Echo-07 likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They could just time travel and kidnap Hamill, Ford, and Fisher in 1982. That way ROTJ would've already been filmed.

24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I think Echo-7 answered that question much better than I ever could.

Plus, if it ever reached that point, I honestly don't think they would move forward like that. They would probably go back to the drawing board and eliminate the Big Three altogether and go with something different.

Hitchhiking-Ghost and Echo-07 like this.
  25. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes. Out of curiosity only though.