main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC The Dag House

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Dags, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Reading used to be my thing, but these days I find myself sewing more than reading. Last time I picked up a book I actually started to fall asleep!

I'm going to see TPM, got tickets to the Premier (with the 501st and RL) through a friend. A big costuming event, so taking the kids as well. The kids were too young last time it was in a cinema, my son was in my belly still! LOL! So they want to see it on the big screen, but they know it's the same crap movie the saw here. ;)

2. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    I better get this post in now before the move and all the data is lost in transit and we have nothing left to recover :p

Someone said to me on the weekend that as TPM was 13 years ago, the pressure of it being successful has long since past - as has the PT as a whole. For this reason people who were big TPM haters back in '99 may end up enjoying it now because they have no expectations. Personally I'm not so sure of that but a similiar thing happened to DS9 vs Babylon 5 in the mid 90s so it is possible.

As for little kids now becoming fans, that is definitely a possibility.

One thing is for sure, when ANH comes out in 3D it's gonna make a s... ummm cargo load full of money! :)

When someone (probably GL) at LFL said a couple of years ago "let's cash in on the craze and convert the films to 3D" the only response was "ka ching"!

3. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Seems that I saved some $$$ by not going to the TPM 3D screening after all. I was planning to meander along for a looksee - even though I really wasn't overly keen on it - but some of my friends saw it and said it was terrible. Since then it's like TPM has just dropped off the radar and I don't even know if it's still in the cinemas.

They said the only saving grace of the experience was seeing SW on the big screen again but that's about it. It certainly looks as if they're sweating on ANH more than ever now.

As someone said about TPM "at least they got the crap one out of the way, so it's all upwards from here". An interesting perspective for sure.

4. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    There is no where else to go Dags, seriously. Even my son told me (he's 13 this year) that he thought he could have done a better job than Jake did, and he said half way through the movie, "someone kill Jar Jar!!" Here here... I am looking forward to the OT again on the big screen, regardless of the 3D aspect, I just want my kids to see it like I did back in the day.

5. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Ahhh yes, but will it be like seeing it back in the day or will there be more changes yet again?

In effect the history of ANH is very similar to Michael Jackson: In their prime they were demigods of their fields and could not be faulted, but as unnecessary changes were made the focus then shifted from how good they were to how they were now different - to the point where people had difficulty relating to them as their original forms. In the end the status they once enjoyed had become permanetely tainted by what they had become.

Too much has changed with SW for anyone to ever enjoy it again as we did back in the 80s.

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I have the Origianl Trilogy on Video, before anything was changed, but sadly no way of playing them these days to show my son...... :(

7. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Call that the curse of changing technology. I too have the OT on VHS AND I have a perfectly working video recorder. The problem is with the TV.

If you've ever played a VHS tape on a modern day Plasma/LCD/LED TV you'll find the picture quality is horrific - which is further exacerbated by the larger size of the screen.

The problem is the quality of the tape, the quality of the TV and the plugs used to transmit the image to the screen. Unfortunately it's simply not possible to use higher quality cable connections on your video recorder (such as Component, S video or HDMI) because they only have composite ports - the ol' red, white and yellow. As a result the hi-def TV is receiving a signal from the weakest of all the cable connections.

So trying to watch ANH from VHS on a modern TV really will make you cry.

8. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Hello!

I haven't been here in a looong time.

I went and saw TPM in 3D- wasn't worth the 3D in gold, but I loved watching it on the big screen. I also can't wait for ROTC an the OT on the big screen woohoo!

9. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Hey at least you made it back. Alas VicFF was abandoned long ago or alternatively you could say "they estimate it's been deserted for some time" :)

Only us old timers ... OK so it's only me, still visit here on a regular basis which is a stark contrast to how things were a decade ago.

Yeah I've heard a lot of people say that about TPM 3D in that it was good to see it on the big screen again but that's about it. Only another five films to go before they reach ROTJ (assuming they get around to converting it).

Anyway this my last post before I hear someone say "quickly they're on the move" and the boards get migrated. All going well The Dag House will be back bigger, brighter, fresher ... and emptier than ever :_| :)

10. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Holy moly the forums back! Not only that but my default avatar is an .... X Wing fighter, ewwwwwww, I'll have to change that quick smart. But not only that I'm also listed as a ... Jedi Youngling, ohhh it's positively insulting! :eek:

Anyway if you're like me and thought the boards were dead and buried 'cause the cutover took so long, then chances are that once again I'll be the only one here. BUT NO MATTER 'cause I will keep the spirit of VICFF alive and kicking.

A lone Dag in a sea of emptiness ... but at least he's still smiling :)

11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    On' Ya Dags !!! Good to see you found your way back here! Not empty, There are a few Oceania's here....and we are all mixed into one now...so anyone can pop in anywhere! ;)

12. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Welcome back Dags! Glad that you have found your way back to these shores ;)

13. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Well how's that the ironies of ironies. SW for many people had become a thing of the past - the PT was but a memory (a painful one for some), the boards here were dying and people were still grizzling about the last Blu Ray and TPM 3D release.

All in all Star Wars had migrated into the "has been" category for many fans even though The Clone Wars is still going strong.

But then one simple announcement has jolted the entire franchise into life once again. At one time the thought of SW being handled by anyone other than GL would been considered heresy, now it would seem people are welcoming it. Out of nowhere GL has made the most logical decision of all and handed the whole kit and caboodle to Disney and within a heart beat they've already announced a new film.

So everyone is now excited and happy even though they have no idea what Disney plan to do with the franchise.

So what do I think? I think the handover was a very smart move by GL and guarantees that SW will live on for a long time to come. As to how Disney will change the SW universe is yet to be seen so I do believe there's a lot of unhatched chickens being counted by fans.

Is this history repeating itself? It's possible. Fans went off the planet when TPM was announced back in the late 90s and yet a decade later those same fans despise the film with a passion. Who's to say the 2015 film won't be Disney's version of TPM? I can't help but think the quote "you must unlearn what you have learned" is relevant here.

I must say it will be weird seeing a SW film with the Disney logo at the start.

At the end of it all, the really funny thing I think is that GL wants to make small experimental movies in his garage, but the guy has more money than a third world country at his disposal, so that makes experimenting in film a somewhat difficult task when you can just buy anything you want.

14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I doubt his small movies would be epic....his had his epic movie (s)...I do have great hopes, but then the glass is always half full for me.... ;)

15. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Hello? Is there anybody there?

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
  17. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    What do you mean is anyone there? I'm always here ... and I'm the only Victorian who is, flyin' the lone flag for VicFF after everyone else has jumped over to the evil Facebook Empire. :)

The thing is, I'm just not here all the time. But then I'll suddenly pop in like this ....................... and then I'll just pop out again. Why? Because once ya pop ya can't stop [face_laugh]

In short VicFF is like Dantooine, there was once a base there but it's been deserted for some time :) (pssst I know I used this joke in an earlier post but it was too good to pass up)

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  18. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Darth_Kiryan is here alot actually, but not 'here' persay......he, like me has discovered the EUC and hangs there with me! :D

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  19. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Dags is like a stalker....he's ALWAYS there! :)

20. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Not as much as you'd think.... ;)

As for you.......Captain Underpants!

21. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    I'm here.....or there...maybe I'm......HERE....or not.

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Why does that statement reminds me of the Gummi Bears?

Bouncing here and there and everywhere....[face_whistling]

23. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Undies and gummies....probably not a good combination.

24. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

Now I feel like watching DuckTales too...

Champion of the Force likes this.
  25. Dags

Dec 3, 2000
    Holy Moly is that a lordvaderFF post I see before me? Finally another voice from the VicFF wilderness has come in from the cold. Dude, it's been SUCH a long time I was gettin' pretty lonely in here. [face_tired]

Fans here's a heads up, keep your eyes open for Star Walking Inc. this year 'cause with LVFF in charge things are gonna happen! Big things! GREAT things! LVFF's the dude to make it all happen ^:)^

I tell ya it's enough to make ya wanna pop open those ultra rare Star Wars collectables and sniff the 1970s Star Wars air inside.

Me Ghads, whatsa meesa sayin'!!! :eek:

Adalia-Durron likes this.