main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series TCW Episodes To Watch With The Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Orrelios, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Let's say you were gonna rewatch the six movies of the saga and felt like throwing in some suitable TCW episodes to watch inbetween AOTC and ROTS. Now, which episodes would you choose?

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Not the Mortis arc, none of the episodes with Ahsoka, none of the episodes where Obi-Wan duels Grievous, not the ones where Anakin and Padme are together all the time.

Joe Antonetti likes this.
  4. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    So the entire series then, Jack?

None. None of the movies reference the show, none of the changes we've seen so far have had any impact. Want to know why? Because the movies came out first and were not built around the idea that the show would fill in the gaps.

eht13 and GGrievous like this.
  5. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    If I was going to watch any show with the saga it'd be microseries chapters 21-25, which is really all you need between AotC and RotS - it establishes Grievous and sets the context of the capture of Palpatine.

Togruta likes this.
  6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    One day, I imagine I'll start with AOTC, then watch the entire show, then ROTS-ROTJ.

But I enjoy watching SW in the machete order - that is: IV, V, II, III, VI - so having TCW in the middle wouldn't make any sense.

Joe Antonetti, Apophis_ and Seerow like this.
  7. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    So this thread is pointless then?

8. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    To me at least.

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    k....

11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Is this better for you?
    [​IMG]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    what's ur point?

13. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    When this series is over, one day I'll watch AOTC, the Microseries, TCW, and ROTS together then come back an answer this question.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The 5 episodes that cover the movie... the Mortis Trilogy, the Bonteri episode, and every episode of the Mandalorian/Death Watch/Nightsisters/Savage/Maul arc apart from the Corruption claptrap.

Apophis_ and 07jonesj like this.
  15. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    The Mortis arc just reiterates that Anakin is the Chosen One...great. I don't need that to enjoy the films.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    The Domino Squad trilogy (Clone Cadets, Rookies & ARC Troopers) could work as an insight about the clone troopers; at least the first one if you don't want to have any of the main characters of the series involved.

But yeah, this thread pretty much failed.

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hardeen arc could work for Anakin's distrust of the Jedi...

18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Not so much filling the gaps, but maybe Lair of Grievous since it does show a Jedi "too sure of himself" and a changing attitude because of the war.

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    For FotJ?

Apophis_ likes this.
  20. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Let's not go there.... :p

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Terrific thread. The PT was structured terribly and Ep. III feels really rushed, TCW has done a great job of filling in some pretty bad gaps in the films.

Now there are episodes of TCW I love that would not be ideal for this task, like the Mortis arc or the Nightsisters/Savage/Maul stuff because they feel like too much of a total digression from the story of Anakin Skywalker that the Star Wars saga was retroactively turned into. So these episodes need to be picked carefully and serve a purpose.

General Skywalker - Hero of the Grand Army of the Republic

All through the OT (and I am old enough to have thought about this before the PT came out) I had this picture of Luke's dad when he was friends with a young Obi-Wan Kenobi as being, you know, a good guy. But in the PT, he's a little kid, a whiny teen, and then a Sith Lord. Not very sympathetic, which kind of ruins the whole downfall thing. Luckily, TCW shows this side of Anakin which is crucial to the whole Star Wars saga working. So here's a few episodes you can throw together as a makeshift movie to make that work:

Trespass
    Cat & Mouse
    The Hidden Enemy
    The New Padawan
    Landing at Point Rain
    Legacy of Terror
    Brain Invaders

The idea is to get in as much as possible before introducing Ahsoka, showing Generals Kenobi and Skywalker working as a team for more than the 20 or so minutes the entire PT gets around to showing. Landing at Point Rain hits hard but also plays into Jedi philosophy and how Anakin relates to it. Weapons Factory can be skipped since Anakin doesn't do anything except worry about Ahsoka and the whole thing gets quickly summarized at the beginning of Legacy of Terror anyway, which I love as a Kenobi/Skywalker team-up and even though it's after her introduction we still get it Ahsoka-free. Plus that episode is one of the series' most Flash Gordon-esque, so bonus for me. Brain Invaders shows even though he's a good guy most of the time, he can still be pushed to go a little dark side when he has what he sees as an altruistic reason for doing so and that gets combined with a personal issue that creates a really bad mood for him, like Ep. II. The difference is, this way you actually get to see him as a hero prior to a dark side relapse rather than him being a whiny teen all the time and it not really seeming like a relapse because of that. And it's a more easily rationalized relapse than, you know, killing all the Jedi, to bridge the gap.

Questioning Loyalties - Skywalker's Relationship with the Jedi Council and Supreme Chancellor Palpatine Evolves

Ep. III has Anakin turn to the dark side too abruptly and without enough reason. You're pissed that you're on the Jedi Council but not a Master, when you know that you're only on the Council as a ruse to play Palpatine? The Jedi Council ask you to spy on Palpatine and when you find out he's a Sith Lord that makes you think the Jedi were the evil ones all along? The only thing that kind of works is Padme, and that's not enough to carry the massive plot twist alone. So let's throw together some episodes of TCW that explain Anakin's changing attitudes more and makes his fall more plausible:

The Zillo Beast
    The Zillo Beast Strikes Back
    Citadel Rescue
    Deception
    Friends and Enemies
    The Box
    Crisis on Naboo

This is a story arc of Mace Windu/Palpatine/Skywalker that more plausibly develops Anakin Skywalker ultimately leaving the Jedi to become a Sith Lord with Palpatine and makes Ep. III feel more like a last straw than a random straw. The Zillo episodes have the interesting dynamic of Mace Windu being opposed to first the Dugs and then (more importantly) Supreme Chancellor Palpatine about the treatment of the beast with Anakin in the Jedi camp but sometimes showing sympathies for opposing points of view. Citadel Rescue by itself, opening monologue explains everything you need to know; has Anakin once again showing sympathy for non-Jedi views but more directly, and competing with Tarkin to see who's the biggest bosom-buddy of Palpatine. Makes Tarkin's appearance in Ep. III more significant - he doesn't even have any lines there. Rako Hardeen arc has some truly chilling scenes in Friends and Enemies where Palpatine is manipulating the **** out of Anakin into doing something he knows the Jedi don't want him to and then when the Jedi Council contacts Palpatine about it he basically shrugs them off, and the arc culminates with Skywalker having a much more legitimate reason to be pissed at the Jedi Council than anything in Ep. III and then Palpatine eagerly watching the contest of Anakin and Darth Tyranus - looking awfully interested. It completes the Mace Windu/Anakin Skywalker circle, starting with them as partners and then having their relationship strained with Mace as the embodiment of the Jedi Council.

I expect there will be at least one more of these you could make by time the series is over. I'm getting a hunch they will use Tarkin more, so he will already have been introduced if that's the case and he's in episodes that would make this kind of cut. This is also going off the assumption that Ahsoka will have a worthwhile end, otherwise it might make sense to just cut around her and do a Trespass/Cat & Mouse/The Hidden Enemy/Zillo Beast/Zillo Beast Strikes Back type thing.

I know I start to lose people at this point because some are more accepting of the PT than I, but there are some other things I could use in another made-up film to fill in some Ep. I and Ep. II holes and then another way to watch the saga becomes just TCW (and I'd throw the micro series in too) followed by Episodes III, IV, V, and VI. I also one day want to watch the two Clone Wars television series (or made-up films of them like the above) followed by the OT. The biggest flaw in that is losing the epic Ep. III Kenobi/Skywalker duel that works so well right before Ep. IV, but it could have some advantages in keeping Darth Vader more mysterious and not making it 100% certain that he's Luke's father before the end of Ep. V. I think this thread has a generally-enough-worded title for me to rant about those things in the future.

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'd just watch the microseries. The Clone Wars in two hours.

I wouldn't watch any of TCW, but since the OP establishes it:

The TCW movie
    The Malevolence arc
    The Geonosis arc
    The Umbaran arc

That's the most I could tolerate.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I so agree with this on the whole friendship of the too and how the PT did not even bother to show it but instead just talked about it that it got a bit like this

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Not my fault :p

It has to be incorporated into any list for its meta-import, sadly. And being as Lucas has said, repetitively, that the Empire and Sith do not survive RotJ, and he wrote Mortis, that I'd be more inclined to look to Mortis for our Episode VII enemies, if only because Lucas was at least working on Episode VII before Disney took over. That being said, Lucas also said Maul won't be back. So shrug.

Either way, FotJ references it :p

25. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin didn't know he was The Chosen One at that time. After the Mortis arc, he does, and now realizes the responsibility and burden on his shoulders. He'll also see the potential monster he'll become, and he'll do everything he can to prevent himself from becoming that. Well, we all know how that will turn out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.