main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit KOTOR: new series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by General Immodet, Jan 16, 2013.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Sony is doing a decent job of rereleasing some of their franchises via collections. Ico/Shadows of the Colossus, Killzone/Reistance/God of War/Metal Gear Solid/Ratchet/Sly/Prince of Persia collections, various others. We don't see it for RPG's too often, though.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ports are common enough, yeah, and I know Square have most of the old Final Fantasy games either on the Wii marketplace or else tablet ports for iPad and things.

But when it's, say, the continual clamour to remake Final Fantasy 7? It's just deathly silence, with instead all the energy going on new games that keep being flops. From a money making point of view, I'd have thought they'd just bite the bullet and cash in on something they knew would bring in easy money like the film industry does when it keeps remaking superhero flicks.

Sure, Marvel could have done something new, and frankly I thought the Spiderman trilogy was good enough and didn't need remaking anywhere near this soon, but then they go and remake it. Video games never seem to want to do that, even when it's surely cheaper to do because you don't even need to waste time coming up with a new story or game encounters, as all that's already established, so you only need to design the new engine itself (albeit that's the most costly part, but at least it'd mean you're not wasting your money making the TFU engine for a crappy story when you could retell the story of Jedi Knight, for instance).

3. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    You can pretty much get Ocarina of Time on any system since Nintendo rereleases it every couple of years. The Katarn Games and KOTOR need to be SW classics and constantly being rereleased. I would like a completed KOTOR 2.

I think it would be so cool to do a KOTOR style game in the NJO era, either during the Vong War or directly after. Could have a new Jedi and friends running around but meeting with people like Wedge Antilles, Luke, Han, Leia, the Solo kids... A mission to rescue young Ben, Mara.

I could see it like this...
    Valin Horn- Main Guy
    Whistler- Astromech
    Syal Antilles-Soldier/Pilot
    Lumpwaroo- Wookiee
    Ghes Orade- Mando/Merc
    YVH Droid- Assassin Droid
    2 More Jedi... on the team (both aliens)

Villian could be any number of NJO hanging plot lines, perhaps dark Jedi leading the Peace Brigade... Something like that

4. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm actually very mixed on how I'd like a KOTOR remade in a Mass Effect style; it would be interesting, at the very least. I doubt it could ever replace the original, but personally I try to view remakes, with movies or games, on their own merits, rather than viewing it with the mindset that it either replaces the original or is inferior and should be buried.

I'm sure some would cry heresy if it was done, but I'd like to play it, and that's coming from someone who considers KOTOR an important part of his life (KOTOR is arguably the thing that made me enjoy storytelling in general; if a game can serve as a milestone in your life, mine is definitely KOTOR). The original will still be there, and it will still be a classic. Also, I'd love it for KOTOR II possibly even more, if only to see Sion rendered with next-gen graphics. Plus I'd really like it to be possible to recruit both the Handmaiden and the Disciple in one playthrough.

The absolute best thing to do in a KOTOR rerelease, assuming it was remade, would be to sell it as a double feature, including both the remade game and the remastered classic.

Zorrixor and _Catherine_ like this.
  5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    They never killed Bao Dur, if you ask Kreia about him she answer you some one liner about him I think

6. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Maybe on the second play through... No way of getting Hanhaar and Mira though.
    But I would personally prefer another game to come out with a cast of characters the size of Mass Effect 2 team. You have like 12 people on your team

7. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm fine with Hanhaar being a dark side only character, but playing it today, I'm kind of annoyed I can't recruit both the "male exclusive" and "female exclusive" NPC's. Handmaiden is infinitely more interesting, which is annoying because I prefer playing a female character in KOTOR II.

Nah, it was hinted that he died. If you ask Kreia, she has no idea what his future holds (probably leaving it open for the sequel), or even if he still lives. Remember, all throughout the game, Kreia has trouble reading Bao-Dur, "the alien". One of the few moments of obvious uncertainty from Kreia comes when she finds that you can read Bao-Dur's thoughts just fine, but she cannot. She doesn't like to be left out of the loop.

8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I do remember her being upset that you can hear him and she can't. But I liked Bao Dur, I hope he survived. Either way Atton and Mira survive. I agree that getting Disciple and Handmaiden wouldn't be that hard to do.

9. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I want this so badly I could cry.

All the voiceover work's already done, too, so they wouldn't even have to hire any actors. All that's left to do is the hard part. :p

10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    You could rerelease them in a two pack, since it really is one game, just two different parts... Maybe finish Kotor 2 like it was supposed to.

But I would love Bioware to take what they learned from Mass Effect and play a game like that in the New Republic/NJO/Legacy era

11. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    But a book would be easier to follow up Kotor/Kotor 2 characters...

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    They might have to do some voice over work, for various reasons, but yeah, most of it would already be done. Of course, they'd have to record Revan's lines (assuming they wanted to give it the full Mass Effect treatment, but they could just as easily leave the old conversation system). Reception to his voice in TOR is mixed, but I'm personally fine with it; it would be impossible to find a voice that would satisfy everyone, since everyone had probably been hearing him differently in their heads. He sounded solemn and commanding, and that's enough for me. Plus, he's voiced by Kyle Katarn. I don't remember really liking the Exile's voice, but we didn't get very many lines, so who knows.

Anyone who hasn't played KOTOR II with the Restored Content Mod installed needs to do so, right now. It's great, and I'd kill for that to be officially released, with some of the rough spots smoothed over. It's worth it alone for the HK factory, and there's so much more than that.

That is a good point. As cool as the idea of a remade KOTOR sounds, it might be even better to get an original SW game. I'd personally love to see something in the Vong war.

RC-1991 likes this.
  13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    That explains why Revan is so cool.... Kyle Katarn IS Revan.... The Undying Jedi

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    :eek::eek::eek:

[​IMG]

ALL HAIL LORD REVAN! ^:)^

instantdeath likes this.
  15. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Too bad it didn't save him from horrid writing. :rolleyes:

(God I hate that novel)

16. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    If you didn't know, the hilarious thing about Revan is that he's been voiced by both Kyle Katarn's. In KOTOR, the incredibly tiny amount of dialogue he has (if memory serves, it consists entirely of "yes?", and maybe something else, when you switch party members) he was voiced by Rino Romero, who voiced Kyle in Mysteries of the Sith, and by Jeff Bennett in TOR, who voiced Kyle in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.

Perhaps Revan gazed into the future and decided to use Sith alchemy in order to change his voice, so that he might emulate the great figure he foresaw in his visions (he was even working on the facial hair). Or perhaps Kyle is a reincarnation of Revan, but I'm hesitant to think that, since Kyle is the beginning, middle, and end: logically, it doesn't make sense for him to be the reincarnation of anyone.

Zorrixor and Ulicus like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Did you swear in outrage? I can imagine you saying "oh, fishsticks!!"

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I would swear, but CooperTFN said I was adorable when I get mad on the boards, so apparently my anger doesn't come through properly. :p

Incidentially, in real life I have a reputation for swearing quite a bit, which is unbecoming of avatar I strive to honor. [face_shame_on_you]

--Adm. Nick

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know, I can hear Ackbar yelling "IT'S CRAP!" :p

RC-1991, CooperTFN and Zorrixor like this.
  20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Revan? It wasn't very good. Kind of a let down

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oi! Pointing that out is my job! :(

And, yes, I agree with everyone else RE: "WHAT WHY DID YOU MAKE ME THINK THEY'D ACTUALLY ANNOUNCED A NEW SERIES? DAMMIT!". OP is now my mortal enemy.

Zorrixor likes this.
  22. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011

That explains the beard :)

She is voiced by Salli Saffioti. Nowhere as cool as Kyle Katarn's voice

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    My Ackbar impersonation is rather good, incidentially. :cool:

--Adm. Nick

24. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Here's everything according to Darth Traya: Atton would continue in his old ways (whatever that means), she had nothing to say about Bao-Dur or the droids, Brianna (Handmaiden) would help train Padawans and succeed Atris as historian, Visas would travel to Katarr, Mical (Disciple) would devote himself to rebuilding the Jedi Order and sit on the Council, and Mira would stop hunting life and instead live it. "Her death will occur in many years time on a forgotten planet, saving the lives of others. But it will be her choice, and she will have no regrets."
    Also about the re-releasing the games I think that would be awesome to no end release it on PS3 and 360 with TOR graphics. Yeah absolutely.

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    You could have pointed out that both also fall to the dark side on Dromuund Kaas :p