main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I want to write star wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sithtimelord, Jan 16, 2013.

1. sithtimelord

sithtimelord Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2004
    Okay big dream is to be an author for the Star Wars Books, does anyone know how to go about this? Who do i talk too?

2. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Um, you need to be a professional author and most of the time THEY approach you, not the other way around. At least that is how Sue Rostoni described it when she was still there.

3. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, as far as I'm aware it's impossible to have your first novel be a Star Wars novel. You have to have a few of your own novels impress before. They're quite selective.

I believe Timothy Zahn said the best thing you can do if you want to write Star Wars is to simply start writing science fiction or fantasy. Impress the right people, and you (most likely through an agent) can approach them and offer to write a Star Wars novel.

No one is stopping you from writing fanfiction, though.

4. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    In addition to following the friendly advice above, concentrating on your spelling, punctuation and grammar would help too.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd like to meet the person who would use a time machine for that of all things, so that I can relieve a poor fool of their time machine :p

7. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    From Aaron Allston's page:

V-2 likes this.
  8. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    And as a writer, you needn't focus solely on sci-fi; Joe Schreiber and Tim Lebbon are horror authors.

But, yes, to echo V-2, you should concentrate on the basics. Spelling, grammar, and take a few creative writing courses. Every author who I've spoken to on the behalf of a friend of mine (who wants to be a writer) have all said the same thing: Perfect the basics and take a creative writing class. Just because you can put sentences together on a page doesn't mean that you're a writer. There is more to writing than just typing.

9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Although they're arguably two sides of the same coin, it seems Lucasbooks has shifted from hiring mainly sci-fi writers to hiring mostly fantasy writers. Personally, I felt that was a great decision; a lot of the Bantam era authors seemed to think they were writing Star Trek novels (*cough cough Vonda McIntyre) . Star Wars has a much higher dosage of fantasy than it might seem. I don't think there will be much argument when I say that hiring fantasy writers such as Matthew Stover, Greg Keyes, Sean Stewart, Paul Kemp, and so on are some of the best decisions they've made.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you want to try Fan Fiction as a beginning, be sure to see our Fan Fic forums. We have both Non-SW and SW.

11. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I want people to think of better thread names...

Why not try to give it a title that isn't a sentence

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Hey, at least he didn't call it "I want to..."

TrakNar likes this.
  13. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    That would be just terrible