main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series What was Palpatine doing after Maul's return?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Slowpokeking, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    According to the comic he didn't sense it right away, and until now he still hadn't try to contact his former apprentice and use him, but let the Death Watch found them and made ally. That's not smart. From the preview he wasn't using Maul but went there by himself to kill Maul, that's not like his style. Let Dooku kill Maul would be more like Palpatine's style and Dooku hates Maul a lot for Qui Gon's death.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Where is it depicted that Dooku hates Maul?

3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Maul killed his padawan.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    More likely, just like the Jedi seemed to think of Maul as being little more than just a criminal, that's how Palpatine saw him when he reappeared. Maul is probably the moron since he'd be better to just lay low and retire. Going and getting yourself an army and deciding to step it up to invading planets and bullzoning them like screwing around in God mode in SimCity is a good way to move yourself up the priority rung. I think this is what "Revival" was getting as toward the end there are well.

KED12345 likes this.
  5. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I never thought of it this way. Now I actually want to see the two meet up for a chat.

Togruta and SithStarSlayer like this.
  6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't think that would mean anything. Sidious trained Maul and Dooku either doesn't care, or he suppresses his anger because he sees more worth in becoming a Sith than holding a grudge. He's also willing to kill his apprentice's apprentice and Anakin joins the Sith too, despite Sith having attempted to kill Padme, killed Qui-Gon, and attempting to kill Anakin on multiple occasions. Anakin himself goes from seeing Obi-Wan like a father to hating him over the span of a couple minutes after he assists in killing Mace and pledges himself to Sidious to save Padme. It might have been just as abrupt for Dooku.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Obi Wan is not Qui Gon, Dooku totally lost the hope of the republic and the jedi because of Qui Gon's death.

Also he was planning to overthrow Sidious, that's why he trained Savage.

8. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Why would Dooku care about Qui-Gon any more than he would care about Yoda (who was his teacher and that he was ready to kill). And Obi-Wan matters because he's Qui-Gon's legacy, which Dooku is ready to snuff out. Why would Dooku so readily JOIN the Sith, if he was so angry that a Sith killed his apprentice? Dooku plotting to kill Sidious was tied to the slight Sidious made against Dooku in demanding that he kill Asajj, and there was no indication that it had anything to do with Qui-Gon.

Dooku may have been pushed to the Dark Side in part because of Qui-Gon's death, but that doesn't mean that once he fell that he cared any more. Anakin is ready to kill Obi-Wan - the guy that he regarded as a father - at the drop of a hat once he gave into his negative emotions. And he choked his wife in a barely controlled rage. I don't think Dooku is still holding a soft spot in his heart for Qui-Gon, or would harbor any more hate toward Maul than he should be harboring toward Sidious, who trained Maul and had him kill Qui-Gon.

If a terrorist kills my family, I do not go join that terrorist group out of dissatisfaction with my government for failing to protect my family. It would be one thing if he were trying to infiltrate the Sith to take them down from the inside, but then had that plan backfire and got corrupted (e.g. Matriarch Benezia of Mass Effect). But there is no logical reason for Dooku to go join the Sith if he is incredibly upset that the Sith killed Qui-Gon.

Like with Anakin, there could have been stepping stones:

Qui-Gon's death shakes Qui-Gon's faith in the Jedi and he begins to lead toward the Dark Side --> Dooku seeks to use the Sith to achieve some noble goal while simultaneously plotting their downfall --> Fully corrupted, loss of morality, more concerned with power than holding onto petty attachments. And in that regard, the biggest reason I would see Dooku having for wanting Maul dead, is simply because Maul is a threat, not out of revenge for some apprentice, whose memory Dooku already betrayed in joining the group that was responsible for Qui-Gon's death.

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No Yoda is not Dooku's master, Yoda just trained him when he was youngling, that's a lot different than master and padawan. He joined the Sith because he thought they share the same goal, to bring order to the galaxy, not it totally changed him.

No, Anakin didn't take Obi Wan, but Qui Gon as his father, Obi Wan is more like a brother to him and he thought Padme betrayed him. After Padme's death he deeply regret for it. If you read the EU, he still kept respect of Qui Gon and dreamed if he didn't join the Dark Side, he would name his child "Jinn".

10. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    He was his master, in AOTC he says 'my old Padawan'.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, Yoda just trained him like all the younglings when he was little, Dooku's master is this guy.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Thame_Cerulian

12. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Well then at some point at least Dooku was Yoda's Padawan, hence Yoda using the word 'Padawan'. This is another annoying retcon.

13. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Anakin explicitly says that Obi-Wan is like a father to him (twice).

ANAKIN: Don't say that Master... You're the closest thing I​
    have to a father...​

[...]​

ANAKIN: He's like my father, but you heard Master Windu. He​
    gave me strict orders to stay here.​

Yoda explicitly says that Dooku was his "Padawan," not youngling.

Since G canon trumps C-canon, the only way I can see to resolve it is that Yoda was Dooku's master at some point.

It is nonsensical that Dooku would join Sidious and think they had the same goals but then hate Maul - Sidious' apprentice - for killing his padawan. If Dooku truly believed that the Sith had the same goals as him, then Qui-Gon's death would be just an unfortunate casualty in the pursuit of that goal. The EU and TCW do not always jive and in TCW Dooku says he wants the destruction of the Jedi Order, and there's no indication that he's open to the idea of having the Jedi Order serve him (as in the EU) or that he's recruiting Dark Siders.

With the Rule of Two, there would have been no place for Qui-Gon. And the Jedi as a whole would in some way be like a family to him, and he'd have close friends (like Sifo-Dyas). All of which he was willing to sacrifice for power. Why he'd still cling to Qui-Gon is beyond me.

Seerow likes this.
  14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Later he didn't say it anymore, he wanted a father figure and hoped Obi Wan could be that but it's not the case. Obi Wan was more like a brother to him and don't forget in EP I he supported the council's decision and talked that right before the little Anakin, that surely left gap between the two. It was Qui Gon who helped Anakin to get free and it was his last wish that made Obi Wan and the council to accept Anakin as a jedi, and he's more like a father to Anakin, that's why he is so special in Anakin's heart.

That's just his word, and it was just used to taunt Dooku, that's not a hard evidence at all. He trained him as the Grand Master when he was little, that's all.

Yes, they share the same goal but at the same time were using each other, just like all the Sith masters and apprentices, especially the ones after Darth Bane. It's hard to understand as Jedi but it's very common among Sith. In AotC he said Qui Gon would join him if he was alive.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's ok to call him a padawan, but Yoda didn't train him for long.

Qui Gon is a different thing, he was the first padawan of Dooku and his death let Dooku lost the last bit of hope of the Order. So it's fair to say he was important to Dooku.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    You wanna know what Palps was doing when Maul returned? i'll tell you the answer

HE WAS EATING COOKIES :p :p

Seerow likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    He was cackling evil-like. Then he cackled more.

19. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Hmm, what was he doing?
    Maybe he was on the toilet...
    Maybe he was having dinner with Mother Talzin...
    Maybe he was using death sticks...

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Palpatine probably didn't give a rat's ass. He saw Maul as nothing but a top-grade assassin anyway, and only trained him as a Sith in secret to piss off Plagueis. At the time of TCW, he was using Dooku as a placeholder until Anakin was ready to be fully converted.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  21. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought Maul was originally going to be Sidious' sith apprentice, not a placeholder or assassin. He couldn't have been a placeholder for Anakin - Sidious didn't know about him yet.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Maul wasn't intended to be a placeholder, but Sidious didn't think of him as a quality Sith apprentice either. Had Sidious not been so intent on defying the Rule of Two behind Plagueis' back and becoming a Master himself, he probably would not have trained Maul as a Sith.

23. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Uhm...where are you getting this from? It is obvious from TPM that Maul was Sidious's heir. TCW shows that Maul knew about the Clone Wars at least TEN YEARS before they happened...

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Plagueis novel.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Then he should not go by himself to deal with the brothers, it's a dumb move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.