main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Who's cover image will sell more DVD/Blu-rays?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes, Jan 14, 2013.

?

Who's cover image will sell more DVD/Blu-rays?

1. Ahsoka

25.7%
  2. Obi-wan

40.0%
  3. Asajj Ventress

4.3%
  4. Rex

2.9%
  5. R2-D2

1.4%
  6. Pre-Viszla

7.1%
  7. Darth Maul (Again)

11.4%
  8. Other (Borkus, Gascon, WAC-47, etc.)

7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Then you guys should see the Swedish DVD cover for Season One:

[​IMG]

DarthTalgus, Convor and Seerow like this.
  2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    =D=

Makes me proud of my Swedish heritage, it does. :)

3. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Why is Obi-Wan winning the votes?.. This is "who would sell more" not "who it should be"..

4. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Because he is one of the most recognizable Star Wars characters ergo he probably would sell DVDs.

5. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^Over Darth Maul? O__o

6. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    You are forgetting he was Season 4's cover. I doubt they would use him again to try to sell more. Too repetitive when other characters can sell as well as him. Ergo I don't think previous characters used on previous seasons will get a cover. So who is left? Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, Rex (maybe a bit too similar to Season 1) and R2. Discounting those already who have sold DVDs, then I think either R2 or Obi-Wan would sell more.

7. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^You're thinking "Who should be on the cover"; the topic is about "Who would sell more". I agree Obi-Wan should be on the cover, but I really doubt he'd sell more DVD/ Blu-rays than Maul would.

8. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    So if Maul is in Season 6 and more, he should be on the rest of the covers on the basis he is the most popular character of all then and that he would sell more? Where is the proof that Maul sells more? What are the sales for the previous seasons? Does anyone know?

9. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    ^I don't. Just saying my opinion about who would sell more, not who I think deserves the cover.

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I think LFL thinks Maul is the most marketable character considering how they hype him up and have Sam Witwer doing all these vids - right now Maul/Sam is the "go to man."

11. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Obi-Wan is a well-recognized SW character, one of the most popular. I don't see why he shouldn't be able to sell more DVD/Blu-Rays than Commander Cody.

Giving Maul a disc, maybe, but the cover again? No.

This is what I would prefer:

Cover: Obi-Wan

Disc One:
    • Hondo Ohnaka
    Disc Two:
    • Gregor
    Disc Three:
    • Sidious
    • Ahsoka?

Seerow likes this.
  12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I don't have any problem with ^ except I do have to ask: why Gregor? He had at most 15 minutes exposure this season. Makes sense MARKETING wise to replace him with R2 who is better known and had more screen time.

13. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I couldn't decide but went with Ahsoka even though I'm not a fan of her.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Were we really supposed to differentiate between guessing who would sell more and just going with our own personal preference?

15. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Also think about sales if you put the same character on the cover twice... Maul was on already for S4 so may not sell as well for S5. Either because people are tired of it or may think its the same DVD set.

I think the people have spoken... someone you're familiar with... an old friend, like... Master Kenobi!

16. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That is beautiful, Nexumaster! Really awesome... Grievous getting some love!? No Way! Way to go, Swedes!

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  17. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know how the DVDs look in the US (I live in the US, but haven't bought the DVDs :p) , do they all follow a pattern? Is there only one character on the cover for each?

I figure a more theatrical movie poster style cover with Viszla, Satine, Obi-Wan and Maul would be appropriate, though I don't know if more than one character is breaking some kind of rule/trend.

18. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Thus far, they have been nice, simple character portraits, which works well for the small DVD case. The classic collage of characters ends up too small for this "canvas." Since they've kept this up with one character per cover, it would be nice to carry on the theme for consistency and general OCD-ness :p Here they are:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seerow and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Well, obviously we've not gotten to the allegedly "dark from here on out" part of S5. But to capture what Filoni keeps saying is going to be huge, and to prevent recycling Maul, I'd think that Sidious would be appropriate, even if his role is brief. He still represents the ultimate evil of Star Wars and will have some role. A character like R2 or the younglings or Obi-Wan on a cover don't really represent darkness in any way (and even would represent juvenile innocence in the case of R2 or the kids), which is not something I think they'd want to be advertising if the big centerpiece of the season is Maul (who has already been used).

Asajj in mask might also be suitable, but then again i know nothing of the role she's going to play.

20. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I didn't think about the thematically dark aspect TaradosGon that is an interesting take... is the concern that the cover should reflect the material so that consumers are getting an accurate depiction of the product? Or is the concern that little kids should be warned of the DARRRKNESSS inherent with those later episodes?

I'm going to veto the Sidious cover only because the old man in the hood does not make for flashy marketing. I love the character, one of my faves, but from a marketing perspective they usually avoid old Palps since he is quite subtle in his visual flair. R2 has the iconic Star Wars and visual flair, but I'm with you that he doesn't represent this series enough as a central character, and he's almost always presented as a supporting cast member. I would argue that if they choose a grim, war-weary looking Obi-Wan on the cover, possibly in the Mandalorian armor, it would represent the darkness inherent.

21. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I wouldn't exactly consider Yoda or Cody to really be top characters of Seasons 2 and 1 respectively. Cody is a clone, and was perhaps a sensible choice just as a representation for the first season of CLONE Wars. Yoda for S2 seems a bit arbitrary, but he's iconic. Anakin for S3 makes some sense given his role mostly in Mortis as the most bizarre arc of the season that focused principally on him, as well as his appearance in the Citadel arc. Maul really was the big selling point for S4 that they hyped up like crazy, so it seems appropriate for S4.

I'm generally not thinking in terms of the show being too dark for kids. I was more looking at it from the perspective that you mentioned Watto, of getting an accurate depiction. If the big selling point for the Season is "Mauldalore" or something dark involving Ahsoka, I wouldn't find it the best marketing tool to put the child-like and innocent R2 on the cover, or a bunch of kids (the Younglings).

Another clone might work, if it's in the Phase II armor, alluding to an increase in darker tone (they simply have a closer resemblance to stormtroopers), as well as the apparent role that they seem to have in pursuing Ahsoka. Or they could put Vizsla on the cover or simply a Mandalorian - whether it be the red marked ones seen in the trailer, or Bo-Katan or a generic Mandalorian in blue.

The thing is that I doubt that S6 is going to return to the miscellaneous adventures of S1 and S2 and I somehow anticipate that when the time comes that Filoni is going to bill S6 as having some of the darkest stuff yet (and probably S7 after that yet again). So they're limited in who to put on the cover if they want to show a progressively darker tone. They've already used the Satanic looking Maul. Phase 2 clones, while not yet bad, still have that foreshadowing of darkness, Sidious, Grievous, Dooku (I'd recommend making his eyes yellow to make him look more evil than he otherwise does), etc.

22. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I appreciate your perspective TaradosGon , the characters they chose were not always spot on with what was covered in the episodes. I've come to realize that they just pick popular Star Wars characters that happen to appear in the series. I'd say Cody was the only one that was a secondary character but at the time they were probably just thinking Clones for Clone Wars as you mentioned. Since then it's been the "poster boy" that they think will sell DVD's.

At least they haven't yet picked a character that didn't ACTUALLY appear in the Season! (Yoda was close...) ;)

23. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Jigsaw.

In Saw material, he was always in a hood. It really became the marketing linchpin for the series, so I don't think Sidious is out of the question.

24. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Here's a nice sight from Target this morning, all the covers together! Who would go well with these guys:
    [​IMG]

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    To answer your question, Watto:

Seerow and Watto like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.